Spanish GP 2012 - Barcelona

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Nando
Nando

Re: Spanish GP 2012 - Barcelona

raymondu999 wrote:I think Mark probably will outdo Seb in quali. Mark's mighty around Catalunya
The only reason he got pole last year was because Vettel had no KERS.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Nando wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I think Mark probably will outdo Seb in quali. Mark's mighty around Catalunya
No no no. He's just very good at and like this track a lot. He Quali'd ahead of Seb in 2010 as well.

raymondu999

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
Nando wrote:
No no no. He's just very good at and like this track a lot. He Quali'd ahead of Seb in 2010 as well.
Nando has a bit of a point though. Mark outqualified Seb by 2 tenths, which if someone does a very crude adjustment for KERS, would mean Seb has pole, KERS-adjusted.
crypted wrote:
I agree, Mark has been always strong in Catalunya, he mainly gains his time in the last sector in which Vettel is a bit weak.
It's not even the last sector to be honest. It's the chicane. If you compared onboards, any difference in the other S3 turns is negligible at best on a good day.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

Historically Vettel is not good at chicanes for some reason. I don't know why...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

[quote="raymondu999"]
Nando has a bit of a point though. Mark outqualified Seb by 2 tenths, which if someone does a very crude adjustment for KERS, would mean Seb has pole, KERS-adjusted.

He also beat Seb in 2010 and won the race. Whether last year was down to lack of KERS or not, he typically does better here than Seb. It's one of his better tracks and I think he'll out-Quali Seb again this year.

raymondu999

n smikle wrote:Historically Vettel is not good at chicanes for some reason. I don't know why...
I don't think it's chicanes per se - it's chicanes with the concrete lumps in the middle. The chicanes where he usually suck at are all such chicanes - the last Nurburgring chicane, the last Catalunya chicane. Having said that it seems to be ok with it on some other tracks like Hungary or Monza.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

f1316
f1316

James Allen talking about rain for race day on twitter: "Sun awaits in Spain... Until the rain on race day. Can't wait to see new bits on cars". Don't know what he knows that the weather sites don't, but I second the last part! :D

raymondu999

The weather sites don't talk to Bernie :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando
Nando

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:No no no. He's just very good at and like this track a lot. He Quali'd ahead of Seb in 2010 as well.
Yes yes yes he would have started P2 had Vettel been able to use KERS :)

He came 4th last year as well. After starting from pole.
I think he was 3rd exiting T1 on the first lap.

Apart from his 2010 pole there´s not much that would support him being "mighty" on this track.

"mighty" for me would be like Senna at Monaco.

raymondu999

To be fair he wasn't too bad in the 2010 race either. But last year he wasn't very special, I agree.

I don't blame him for falling behind Seb or Lewis last year - both were on fantastic form. But the unforgiveable bit is how he could not get the gap over Button on the slower 3 stop strategy.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando
Nando

Agree, he did good 2010 winning the race by quite some margin.
In 2009 Vettel beat him by 4 tenths in qualifying, but Webber beat him in the race.
Can´t even remember what happened in that race but he must have done something right there.

Morteza

Autosport wrote:Mercedes team boss Ross Brawn will not travel to the Spanish Grand Prix this weekend on doctors' advice.

Brawn saw a doctor last week after feeling unwell, and he has been advised to skip the Barcelona race.

He is expected to return to the paddock in Monte Carlo.

"We fully expect Ross to be back in Monaco," said Mercedes GP CEO Nick Fry.

Bob Bell is assuming the leadership role this weekend.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Nando wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:No no no. He's just very good at and like this track a lot. He Quali'd ahead of Seb in 2010 as well.
Yes yes yes he would have started P2 had Vettel been able to use KERS :)

He came 4th last year as well. After starting from pole.
I think he was 3rd exiting T1 on the first lap.

Apart from his 2010 pole there´s not much that would support him being "mighty" on this track.

"mighty" for me would be like Senna at Monaco.
I get what you're saying mate, but we know Mark didn't get on too well with last years car. In a car more to his liking(2012 vs 2011) I think he'll take the pole again. Every race since 2008 he's finished in the top 5 here.

08: P5

09: P3

10: P1

11: P4

I just think he likes more & does better here than Seb. Of course I could be wrong. But that doesn't happen often. :shock: Totally kidding. :))

Nando
Nando

Yea that i can buy, he definitely seems to really enjoy this track and be competitive :)

This is what i would call mighty ;)

Monaco
1984 - 2nd in the race
1985 - Pole but retired
1986 - 3rd
1987 - win
1988 - Pole but crashed out due to driving in another dimension then the rest.
1989 - win
1990 - win
1991 - win
1992 - win
1993 - win

That´s insane, and with three different cars.

NAPI10
NAPI10

Anything go by this link -
http://www.meteoblue.com/bloos/stream/b ... eleid=9353

There is a ‘10C’ temperature difference between Qualifying and Race day….will it affect team strategies?