2012 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
strad

Re: 2012 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa

However close it was inadvertent cause his finger slipped. :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Shrieker

zyphro wrote:Maldonaldo clearly had a jump start ;):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elw1bt89iBc
Nice find, I was looking for something like this really.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

myurr
myurr

Can't believe this is still being discussed, but here is Sky's analysis of the start, showing how far Maldonado was out of his box when the lights went out:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjT0Hhudaqk[/youtube]

Nando
Nando

Had he just not let it slip there he would have still been at the front, it was a terrific start regardless of the false start.
Many guys got pretty bad starts, possibly because of Maldo :)
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

beelsebob
beelsebob

Nando wrote:Had he just not let it slip there he would have still been at the front, it was a terrific start regardless of the false start.
I don't think you can reasonably say that. Remember, a non-jump start involves about 0.3-0.4 seconds of waiting after the red lights go out due to reaction time. So, Mandy gained 0.2 seconds from starting before the red lights, and another 0.3 seconds from reaction time. That's half a second head start, which is easily enough time for an F1 car to get traction, and get a good 10-20mph going. From that point, because he's got over wheel slip he's got better acceleration than everyone else too.

Essentially, what I'm saying is – don't let the fact that he was moving really quick when everyone else started deceive you. That's the normal behaviour of an F1 car 0.5 seconds after launch.

Nando
Nando

beelsebob wrote:
Nando wrote:Had he just not let it slip there he would have still been at the front, it was a terrific start regardless of the false start.
I don't think you can reasonably say that. Remember, a non-jump start involves about 0.3-0.4 seconds of waiting after the red lights go out due to reaction time. So, Mandy gained 0.2 seconds from starting before the red lights, and another 0.3 seconds from reaction time. That's half a second head start, which is easily enough time for an F1 car to get traction, and get a good 10-20mph going. From that point, because he's got over wheel slip he's got better acceleration than everyone else too.

Essentially, what I'm saying is – don't let the fact that he was moving really quick when everyone else started deceive you. That's the normal behaviour of an F1 car 0.5 seconds after launch.
I know that if someone gets a head start they will always beat you in accel but i still think he got an amazing start.
He took off like a GTR from what i saw.

I´m not getting deceived by that, it´s something i´ve take into consideration.

AnthonyG

beelsebob wrote:Remember, a non-jump start involves about 0.3-0.4 seconds of waiting after the red lights go out due to reaction time.
Is it really that slow? I believe you can 'alter' your reaction to the lights.

1.not everyone has the same time-perception and time perception varies from time to time
2.Humans are bad at object observation, you'll notice a change more quickly if you don't look at the lights but focus next to them.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

raymondu999

I don't think that it's that slow - it's probably around 2 tenths for these guys at most, but yeah, you have to add a bit of reaction time to the lights going out, before you can actually say it was on the marks.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

AnthonyG wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Remember, a non-jump start involves about 0.3-0.4 seconds of waiting after the red lights go out due to reaction time.
Is it really that slow? I believe you can 'alter' your reaction to the lights.

1.not everyone has the same time-perception and time perception varies from time to time
2.Humans are bad at object observation, you'll notice a change more quickly if you don't look at the lights but focus next to them.
Certainly, 0.3 seconds is the quoted normal figure for a driver reacting to the lollipop/lights during a pit stop. Remember hamilton's record stop – 2.3 seconds + 0.3 reaction times.

Nando
Nando

That was more because he was surprised by the quick stop.
Now i´m sure his reaction time in the pits is less then that. He´s used to sub 3 sec stops now.