2014 German Grand Prix - Hockenheim

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mandrake

Re: 2014 German Grand Prix - Hockenheim

Accidents happen under sc as well. So what is your point? That the probability under an sc is lower? Yes, maybe. But how many dead marshalls have we had from cars crashing into marshalls on the Nordschleife? Cannot think of any.

BanMeToo

F1 drivers very rarely slow down as much as they should beneath double-waved yellow flags. It is different when the safety car is out.

strad

Re: 2014 German Grand Prix

strad wrote:I would have to check but isn't there a rule against him exiting his car whilst it is on track?
30.9 no one is allowed on the track, the pit entry or the pit exit with the exception of :
a) Marshals or other authorised personnel in the execution of their duty.
b) Drivers when driving or on foot, having first received permission to do so from a marshal.
30.5 A driver who abandons a car must leave it in neutral or with the clutch disengaged, with the ERS shut down and with the steering wheel in place.
Seems to me he failed both to get permission from the marshal nor leave it in neutral. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

komninosm

Mandrake wrote:
lebesset wrote:pretty obvious that the majority of people believe that no safety car while a car was recovered from the centre of the track was ridiculous
but am I the only person that believes that if it had been hamilton in the lead rather than rosberg there would have been ?
Actually I was happy it was not done with a safety car. At the Nordschleife there is no SC. Marshalls wave double yellows to clear things up. It took them ridiculously long to get into movement, but it was the right thing to do it without an SC.

If a driver crashed there under yellows, knowing there is a car and marshalls, he should be banned from the sport (unless it's a mechanical defect)
And if it's a mechanical defect and the unsafe decision to not bring out a SC causes a few marshalls to die then the race director should go to prison and you too for suggesting it wise. :roll:

Juzh

Medium rears are finished in 6-7 laps. It's a 70 lap race. This is going to be hilarious.

Also, looking at alonso's driving ferrari has no traction. none whatsoever. Fun to watch.

Mandrake

Juzh wrote:Medium rears are finished in 6-7 laps. It's a 70 lap race. This is going to be hilarious.

Also, looking at alonso's driving ferrari has no traction. none whatsoever. Fun to watch.
This is for Hungary, not Germany, right?

Juzh

Mandrake wrote:
Juzh wrote:Medium rears are finished in 6-7 laps. It's a 70 lap race. This is going to be hilarious.

This is for Hungary, not Germany, right?
Oops, yup.

gray41

I understand the car wasn't smashed to bits but in terms of positioning why a SC in Hungary but not Germany?

Marshals had to run across the racing line!
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Kiril Varbanov

Video highlights of the race on F1.com - http://www.formula1.com/video/?uid=2014072010R

komninosm

gray41 wrote:I understand the car wasn't smashed to bits but in terms of positioning why a SC in Hungary but not Germany?

Marshals had to run across the racing line!
Don't ask, don't tell. :twisted:

atanatizante

Juzh wrote:bottas 334 kmh, no drs, no slipstream. Meanwhile renaults are happy with 330 tops with drs and slipstream. How can you fight that? Simple, you can't.

No way Bottas did a 334km/h without DRS on, in most cases delta between DRS on and DRS off - in 2014 - is somewhere in the range of 20km/h
But in Williams car case their low DF setup together with a smaller DRS flap (like no one else) is making them a 12-15km delta and I'll demonstrate you in the following pictures
In the first one you could see FI without DRS, a team which has also a top speed philosophy :

In the second one you could see clearly that Bottas has 10 km/h more speed than Hulkenberg, also with a Merc PU:

In Aloso's case speed delta is only 9 km/h but at that time he has had fresher tyres and could get a better exit on turn 3 but Lewis although has a 17km/h speed advantage he has had a poorer turn 3 exit and further he must brake sooner for turn 6 ... not to mention the left front wing let him at least 20kg down on DF and the left soft tyre was gone ...

Another thing to mention is that Merc is using the 8th gear for the first time (if I'm not mistaken), although a very short one ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Emerson.F

Merc's team orders: when not to obey by Peter Windsor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMdN8-k00AE
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

Kingshark

In the second one you could see clearly that Bottas has 10 km/h more speed than Hulkenberg, also with a Merc PU:
Late to the party, but how much of that was down to the fuel loads?

Bottas' top speed was taken on lap 62, Hulkenberg's on lap 38. That's worth 24 laps less of fuel.

SectorOne

Probably nothing at all, though acceleration changed.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"