2014 United States Grand Prix - Austin

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: 2014 United States Grand Prix - Austin

Manoah2u wrote: Actually, i'm shocked i'm saying this, but bernie doesn't have to go at all
Imo, it's about at which side you look at. On the sporting side, yes, he has to go, F1 is being led by an single interest. On the money side, no. It still makes a crapton of money each year.
Rumour has it Sauber and Force India are the ones in trouble. Same has been said about williams before. Where are they now?
Williams had the luck of finding sponsorship.
The smaller teams are in trouble because 1. they didn't do their jobs good enough.
And because they lack the finances. It's that simple. They lack the finances to bring the fight to the "big boys". The team could be led as well as they want, the thing remains; You can't do as much with 100 people as you can with 500.
2. they never were or have fallen into not being really serious about their job (HRT). should that be rewarded by artificially keeping them alive? no. and 3. you win some you lose some.

The issue here is that these 3 teams were founded on the promise of a $40M cost cap, which didn't happen. They were expected to catch up with a fraction of the funds, and hardly any sponsorship to find. They were doomed from the start.

I can't remember being this much attention and critisism when teams of the glory days 'fell'. Footwork/Arrows? Simtek? Forti Ford? Pacific (essentialy Caterham now)Onyx? Life f1? Eiffelland? Dome? Mastercard/lola? etc etc etc etc etc
I would say entry costs were much different than they are now. Back then a team could leave, and another could just take it's spot. Now they have to pay big time for their entry and have to find hundreds of millions of dollars. And guess what, no one is going to throw big money at something that hasn't done anything, and neither is the team going to do anything without this big money. This makes the loss of 2 teams an issue as there isn't a replacement.
So if a team 'dwindles down' (remember tyrrell in the 90's), it doesn't mean they are in dire need or in dire problems; they just need the right solution. throwing $$ at a problem doesn't solve it, because the root of the problem isn't financial problems. it's operational problems that get hampered more by logically following financial problems.
An f1 team tends to spend the money they have, because throwing money at it gives the ability to more resources(ie. manpower). Thus, losing sponsors will lose you money, money you need to pay those people, facilities etc. and those facilities you need. All the teams that ceased to exist were plagued by money problems, and not "operational problems". You can lead your team as good as you could possibly do, if you don't have the money for it, you will still get nowhere. However, if you do have the money you can have a nice large team that can pick their noses through mismanagement, and they'll still exist.

The root of the problem IS finances.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Manoah2u wrote:And since when is Bottas a paydriver?
:lol: Ever since he joined the team. Those Finnish sponsors didn't get onto the car by accident. Nothing wrong with being a talented driver with huge financial backing of course, but there was a reason Willians were so keen for him to skip GP2 for FP1s.

ringo

back on topic..
How is mclaren looking?
They seem to be finding some form near the end of the season it seems.
For Sure!!

Juzh

Anyone did any long run analysis?

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Hamilton's 1:37,107 almost as fast as last year's best Q2 time 1:37,065 of Vettel. Best time of 2013 was 1:36,338 and 1:35,657 in 2012.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

cubejam
cubejam

What's Alonso doing here?

http://www.gfycat.com/BlackandwhiteLikableDevilfish

I was watching onboard for 3 laps & he took his hand off the wheel and placed it flat against the cockpit three laps in a row before I turned away. I presume hes still doing it now.

gray41

I think we might get close to last years pole.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

mikeerfol

cubejam wrote:What's Alonso doing here?

I was watching onboard for 3 laps & he took his hand off the wheel and placed it flat against the cockpit three laps in a row before I turned away. I presume hes still doing it now.
F-Duct? :lol: :lol:

Sevach
Sevach

ringo wrote:back on topic..
How is mclaren looking?
They seem to be finding some form near the end of the season it seems.
They are better than Force India since the FRIC ban, but they still can't touch Williams.

SiLo

As much as Rosberg didn't get a good run in, that gap is very big. I'm enjoying seeing Williams near the front again this year, and the car just looks really good in white!
Felipe Baby!

dans79

I'm not sure it's all breaks, I'm sitting at turn one and nico has looked uneasy all session, even before the break issues.
197 104 103 7

Sevach
Sevach

SiLo wrote:As much as Rosberg didn't get a good run in, that gap is very big. I'm enjoying seeing Williams near the front again this year, and the car just looks really good in white!
Rosberg really struggled, complained about something that was changed endlessly.

Williams very strong, will lock row 2 imo.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Bob Fernley confirmed on SkyF1 that they are still in discussions about boycotting the race.

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

cubejam wrote:What's Alonso doing here?

Maybe he was resting.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

He's so good he can drive a limp tractor of a ferrari with one hand to p3 just to show who's boss.

Or he's so bored with Ferrari his GF painted his nails and he's letting them dry.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"