2015 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
djos

Re: 2015 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

GPR-A wrote:Max Verstappen became the youngest point scorer in F1. Super performance in such hot and crazy conditions, battling the Bulls. =D>
Verstappen and Sainz both continue to impress big time! If they can maintain the quality for the most of the season I reckon KYV will be in danger of being demoted or dropped! Im seriously impressed by both TR lads! =D>
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Andres125sx wrote:
windwaves wrote:yes, right, I guess we missed a fascinating duel McL vs Manor .... for last place :)
Did you watch the race?

McLaren was faster than FI, even Alonso was catching up RBR before being forced to retire
IIRC there was a radio chat played where Button was excitedly telling the team he was catching ppl, he sounded very surprised. Anyway, looks like Honda a making good progress, they'll prolly overtake Renault in China! #-o
"In downforce we trust"

felix
felix

Mandrake wrote:Now this race was certainly A LOT more interesting than the first one.

But those F1 cars of today, I still cannot stand them. In the Onboards I was very often checking if there was a little "replay" sign I didn't see because at times it looked like the cars would drive at 75% speed only. And the sound does not help either. I thought the onboard was shown to show a dying engine more often than I didn't think that......this is not cool.

And then the Cameras......it is so hard to see which car is actually in front in a side by side overtaking maneuver. You first think wow this is tight, and then the car behind slots in with a 5m gap......I prefer the old cameras with not so wide lenses...
Same here, was watching the onboard with Vettel and at first I thought he had a problem. :|

Cars were lapping ~10 seconds faster in race trim 10 years ago...

djos

felix wrote: Same here, was watching the onboard with Vettel and at first I thought he had a problem. :|

The problem is the FIA have turned it into a year long endurance race with too few PU's available and massive penalties for drivers needing new PU's after failures + the rubbish pirelli tires that cant be raced hard on for a whole stint - as a result they tip-toe around just slowly as possible conserving tires and PU's. #-o
"In downforce we trust"

WaikeCU

Any chance if Mercedes were running a more rainy set up compared to Ferrari? Perhaps they gambled on that and gambled wrong?

giantfan10
giantfan10

to the complainers... you really dont have to watch if you dont like what you see

djos

giantfan10 wrote:to the complainers... you really dont have to watch if you dont like what you see
I cant stop watching ... Im addicted even if I'm not thrilled by the frequent lack of flat out racing (eg Melbourne).
"In downforce we trust"

AnthonyG

WaikeCU wrote:Any chance if Mercedes were running a more rainy set up compared to Ferrari? Perhaps they gambled on that and gambled wrong?
Very slim, rain-setups are non-adviceable since a race often gets red flagged before you get a benefit from your rain setup.

I also think a rain setup has more downsides in the dry than a dry setup in the rain.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

iotar__

felix wrote:
Mandrake wrote:Now this race was certainly A LOT more interesting than the first one.

But those F1 cars of today, I still cannot stand them. In the Onboards I was very often checking if there was a little "replay" sign I didn't see because at times it looked like the cars would drive at 75% speed only. And the sound does not help either. I thought the onboard was shown to show a dying engine more often than I didn't think that......this is not cool.

And then the Cameras......it is so hard to see which car is actually in front in a side by side overtaking maneuver. You first think wow this is tight, and then the car behind slots in with a 5m gap......I prefer the old cameras with not so wide lenses...
Same here, was watching the onboard with Vettel and at first I thought he had a problem. :|

Yes quite and GP2 is faster than F1 car that doesn't move, the horror. Perhaps it would be a good idea to create rose-tinted glasses nostalgia thread? Like a broken record good-old-timers are trying to outbid themselves in placebo and selective facts department and pollute every single race thread with their fairy tales of the past. For them exactly the same lap time with shaky camera of Senna onboard is a blur of demonic speed whereas watched from less ancient car it "feels" like a slideshow.

Andres125sx

Edax wrote: If you look at the race they have gained since australia, but they are still 4 seconds of the leader and close to a second of their nearest rivals, judged by the fastest laps produced by the teams.
1 Mercedes 1’42.062 43
2 Ferrari 1.586 46
3 Sauber-Ferrari 1.840 45
4 Williams-Mercedes 1.928 40
5 Red Bull-Renault 2.452 41
6 Toro Rosso-Renault 2.517 42
7 Lotus-Mercedes 2.750 36
8 Force India-Mercedes 2.760 46
9 McLaren-Honda 3.994 38
source: f1fanatic
If you look at the race you know thats not true... how could they overtake FI and catch RBR being one second slower?

That fast laps are not a good reference since both McL retired before the last stint, and its in the last stint when fast laps are done becase of the lighter car

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

giantfan10 wrote:to the complainers... you really dont have to watch if you dont like what you see
Don't worry, according to the viewing figures a lot of people have already taken your advice.

giantfan10
giantfan10

Vettel Maggot wrote:
Don't worry, according to the viewing figures a lot of people have already taken your advice.
good for them...
i dont care how muchmoney billionaires and millionaires lose because viewership is down... if a lack of viewership kills F1 i will find something else to watch... life will go on.just like any other tv show ... they cancel it and you move on : )

itix

iotar__ wrote:- Lotus' strategy is even worse than reliability and speed, just awful with track position, no responsibility for failures
I knew there was an anti Lotus quote from you somewhere in here... :D
But yeah, can't disagree. It was not very impressive. Lots and lots of potential dropped over the side... and the fact that Force India tied a weight to the bottom of it didn't help I guess.

...also my countryman Ericsson is a clumsy effin muppet :(
In a VERY good spot to score points in what seems to be a very competitive car for the money, and he decides to park it at the local beach instead. Such a typical Swede.

Also as a supporter of neither, it is funny to see how mercedes and RBR are the devil when they win and ferrari are universal angels. I could be wrong but I have a feeling that if Ferrari continue to dominate through the rest of the season they will still be absolute angels, just like they were when I stopped watching F1 in 2000-and-middle (2006 maybe?). Nothing personal against Ferrari (other than their special status with CVC but that is a CVC issue not a Ferrari issue). I used to live in Italy and I still have many friends in the region Toscana and Emiglia-Romagna (who all of them support Ferrari, of course).
Massive rally fan... have fallen out of love with F1 yet again and have thus migrated

max_speed
max_speed

how come alonso keep making wrong career decisions at very apt time ?. that guy will be wearing a smirk but deep down the heart he knows . he is not going to win soon unless honda is hiding something behind their reliability woes. i still feel mercedes complacency cost them a win, they did nt see it coming and from next race onwards they will not look silly but boy feeling so sorry for fernando , he leaves and that index figure with yesss rises again..

mf2929

"as long as I know that I'm giving 100% and I'm happy with my driving then I'm happy. If those aspects are true and it's not enough, then it's not enough."