2015 Spanish Grand Prix - Circuit de Catalunya - 8-10 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vasconia

Re: 2015 Spanish Grand Prix - Circuit de Catalunya - 8-10 Ma

tranquility2k4 wrote:
McLaren will have a big update - I hope this brings big performance as we want Alonso and JB fighting at the front ASAP. I believe they also have a big update coming for Monaco.
It has not sense to me to bring a big update for Monaco, taking into account how different is track from the others. No usually does it. On the other hand the MP-30 is a quite good car entering in the corners so I expect them to be competitive in this track.

Vasconia

evered7 wrote:
tranquility2k4 wrote: I'm sure Merc are just playing with everyone else...
Wishful thinking more than anything else. Many expected Mercedes to continue their domination this year as well after seeing their 2014 season. Nothing wrong with it. But now you have accept that Ferrari have closed the gap considerably which is evident after the first few races and that Mercs don't have magic potion like they did last year with their engines. They have done well to keep their lead and will benefit Hamilton massively. Will they keep up the advantage or extend it or will it be shortened, is to be seen based on how the cars are developed by each team.
I think that tyre degradation or a reliability issue are the only things that willl prevent Mercedes(or should I say Lewis?) from winning all the races during the season. I hope I am wrong and Ferrari can close the gap even more.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Juzh wrote:
dans79 wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:I don't see how Merc can lose here so

qualy:
HAM,ROS,VET,RAI,MAS,RIC,BOT,GRO,MAL,KVY,
race:
HAM,VET,RAI,MAS,BOT,MAL,GRO,NAS,ERI,PER
What happened to ROS in the race?
Lapped, obviously.
I wasn't able to follow the Bahrain race thread or watch the race itself. However, after finding out the race results I started reading the race thread, from some time before qualifying occurred. It's quite funny just how inaccurate almost every one of the predictions or analyses were. It just strengthens my conviction that you never quite know what's going to happen. To me, this is part of the excitement of the sport, and of life itself.

FrukostScones

ChrisDanger wrote:
Juzh wrote:...

Lapped, obviously.
I wasn't able to follow the Bahrain race thread or watch the race itself. However, after finding out the race results I started reading the race thread, from some time before qualifying occurred. It's quite funny just how inaccurate almost every one of the predictions or analyses were. It just strengthens my conviction that you never quite know what's going to happen. To me, this is part of the excitement of the sport, and of life itself.
ROS doen't get lapped, it's technical DNF or shunt with a Ferrari... 8)
and ChrisDanger, I promise you this time my prediction will be correct! :mrgreen:
yours truly F1Nostradamus.com
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

MercedesAMGSpy

GPR-A wrote:
evered7 wrote:
tranquility2k4 wrote: I'm sure Merc are just playing with everyone else...
Wishful thinking more than anything else. Many expected Mercedes to continue their domination this year as well after seeing their 2014 season. Nothing wrong with it. But now you have accept that Ferrari have closed the gap considerably which is evident after the first few races and that Mercs don't have magic potion like they did last year with their engines. They have done well to keep their lead and will benefit Hamilton massively. Will they keep up the advantage or extend it or will it be shortened, is to be seen based on how the cars are developed by each team.
Looking at the situation from two different team's perspective, here is how it looks. Only facts.
Mercedes domination continues... 4 poles out of 4 races and 3 wins out of 4 races; 8 podiums. Leads the constructors' standings and the next best team by 52 points. Their two drivers stands 1st and 2nd in the drivers' standings.
Ferrari has jumped couple of places in standings to 2nd. 1 win out of 4 races. 4 podiums. Their two drivers stand 3rd and 4th in Drivers' standings. Good job.
By the end of the year, it would still be the facts that would determine if some team dominated or not. Rest everything is just perspective.
It's not the Mercedes domination we have seen last year. Ferrari is closer and beating Rosberg in qualy and the race. Last year Rosberg wouldn't have finished lower than P2. Hamilton is in the form of his life, so that's why the stats aren't telling the whole story.

giantfan10
giantfan10

agreed....
mercedes is the best qualifying car on the grid and starting first out in clean air cannot be discounted as a sizeable advantage for hamilton... add that to the form that he is showing as a driver and there ya have it... race winner.. if hamilton is on pole for barcelona he will more than likely go on to win the race... vettel kimi or rosberg can be interchanged anyway you like for he next 3 places
Ferrari is a lot close than some people would like to admit.
this is jamesallenonF1's take:
"One of the reasons why the Ferrari is such a strong race car is because it has an aggressive engine mode, with a strong battery and an efficient compressor, which it is able to use all race long, whereas Mercedes has to dip into a more conservative mode at times during races. This gives Ferrari a chance and means that over a race distance there is now little to choose between the two power units. Qualifying is still Mercedes’ forte, which gives it a track position and thus a strategic headstart. But if Ferrari keeps up the current relative development rate then we could have a championship fight on our hands."

dans79

giantfan10 wrote:agreed....
"One of the reasons why the Ferrari is such a strong race car is because it has an aggressive engine mode, with a strong battery and an efficient compressor, which it is able to use all race long, whereas Mercedes has to dip into a more conservative mode at times during races. This gives Ferrari a chance and means that over a race distance there is now little to choose between the two power units. Qualifying is still Mercedes’ forte, which gives it a track position and thus a strategic headstart. But if Ferrari keeps up the current relative development rate then we could have a championship fight on our hands."
The question is how long can they continue to use that aggressive mode? As i said in another thread they have already started using the second ICE, and they didn't do that for no reason.
197 104 103 7

PlatinumZealot

This is the track where Mercedes will put donkey lengths on Ferrari if Ferrari don't bring upgrades.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

evered7
evered7

MercedesAMGSpy wrote: It's not the Mercedes domination we have seen last year. Ferrari is closer and beating Rosberg in qualy and the race. Last year Rosberg wouldn't have finished lower than P2. Hamilton is in the form of his life, so that's why the stats aren't telling the whole story.
A balanced post from a Merc spy :) Anyway, I agree on what is said in this post. Mercs are being regularly challenged now which wasn't the case last season. Them winning the races doesn't necessarily tell the whole picture.

giantfan10
giantfan10

dans79 wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:agreed....
The question is how long can they continue to use that aggressive mode? As i said in another thread they have already started using the second ICE, and they didn't do that for no reason.
i think he means they have a more aggressive recovery system than mercedes and ferrari changed their ICE not recovery system... regardless the PU they switched out is reusable and probably will find its way back into the car on low power circuits... maybe monaco and singapore
the reason they changed the engine is a mystery... all we know is that it didnt blow up on track.....its highly possible that this is all to plan.... what i'm curious about is if the teams are allowed to rebuild the engines they have used... if they are allowed to then i would call this a non issue

dans79

giantfan10 wrote: what i'm curious about is if the teams are allowed to rebuild the engines they have used... if they are allowed to then i would call this a non issue
I'm pretty sure it's just like a transmission. It can't be opened once it's been used in a race, without Incurring a penalty.
197 104 103 7

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Maybe they just wanted to have those couple of HPs extra with fresh ICE.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

giantfan10
giantfan10

dans79 wrote:
giantfan10 wrote: what i'm curious about is if the teams are allowed to rebuild the engines they have used... if they are allowed to then i would call this a non issue
I'm pretty sure it's just like a transmission. It can't be opened once it's been used in a race, without Incurring a penalty.
fair enough.
whatever mercedes did to their car after FP# in bahrain that gave them the speed and tire longevity to jump ferrari in Bahrain is what interests me the most... are they going to keep that change and compromise brake temps again or are they going to revert back to the old setup.... is 3 weeks enough time to find a better solution?

Moose
Moose

giantfan10 wrote:
dans79 wrote:
fair enough.
whatever mercedes did to their car after FP# in bahrain that gave them the speed and tire longevity to jump ferrari in Bahrain is what interests me the most... are they going to keep that change and compromise brake temps again or are they going to revert back to the old setup.... is 3 weeks enough time to find a better solution?
Compromised brake temps won't be an issue until we get to Canada anyway, so I'd bet they'll keep that solution for now at least.

GPR-A duplicate2

There are at least couple of things that Merc has done right in the last year and a half.
1. The upgrades they brought and tested, stayed on the car. Proving good correlation between wind tunnel/CFD and performance on track.
2. None of their catastrophic problems, occurred twice, including that of a "Foreign contamination bug" ( :evil: ) that spoiled Nico's race in Singapore.

We know Ferrari has struggled in this regard over the past few years. This is the first year with a new staff and a lot of new elements on their facilities as well. So, it would be interesting to see the efficiency of their work on the upgrades.

Does anyone know the answer to this question? When Luca Marmorini was fired, he said his team deliberately designed A SMALL SIZED ENGINE compared to that of Mercedes or Renault. Anyone know if that architecture still remains small or has that gone through change as well?

Marmorini: Ferrari sacrificed engine for aero
"With my colleagues I packed a power unit with a certain size, ie, [a] smaller version of the Mercedes and Renault, because we were asked by the project manager of the car, Mr. Tombazis.

"[They] said we want a very compact power unit, with small radiators, because the less power [we] will compensate with aerodynamic solutions that will guarantee us an advantage over Mercedes and Renault. It's been exactly like that, except that, when we are confronted with the competition, the horsepower was less obviously, but this was not compensated by aerodynamics!"