2015 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 03-05 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Moose
Moose

Re: 2015 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 03-05 July

The new silverstone is indeed a regression. For me though, not really as a TV viewer, instead, as a track goer - the best place to sit used to be at Bridge corner, where you could see the whole complex leading onto the old pit straight. There's no good place like that any more.

Jordan44

2012, 2013 and 2014 have been great races. Webber chasing Alonso in 2012, tyre controversy in 2013, Alonso vs Vettel in 2014. Yes the old track was probably better, but there was no way of keeping it otherwise due to the pressure of upgrading it by Bernie. There has been far worse, e.g. Russia 2014. I still attend every year because the overall experience is excellent and we need what's left of these classic tracks on the calendar.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Obviously the old track is better but to be honest, that's one of the best track of the year so far (the firt of the "top track" of the year for me).

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The new track layout was partly as a result of looking at bikes instead of F1 when Bernie was playing his games a few years ago, as I understand it. I miss Bridge because it was a "proper corner" but I think the new section isn't bad.

Be nice to go back to the old Abbey corner (not chicane) and Bridge but that will never be so we move on. Maggotts-Becketts-Church is still a nice sequence and Copse still shows the direction changing ability of a Formula 1 car at full chat; it's good to stand and watch them thunder down the old start/finish straight and in to Copse.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Rosberg has this in the bag.

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

The cable camera catching Alonso passing Webber I believe 2011 made this track for me...

iotar__

J0rd4n wrote:2012, 2013 and 2014 have been great races. Webber chasing Alonso in 2012, tyre controversy in 2013, Alonso vs Vettel in 2014. Yes the old track was probably better, but there was no way of keeping it otherwise due to the pressure of upgrading it by Bernie. There has been far worse, e.g. Russia 2014. I still attend every year because the overall experience is excellent and we need what's left of these classic tracks on the calendar.
Disagree about the every single example:
2012 - Alonso leading only because of rain, big tyre/car difference, not much chasing and excitement, simple pass
2013 - more like speeding under yellows for the winner controversy and random failures including LH leading.
2014 - Alonso - Vettel as an example of great racing?? Car 2 s faster, rules forbidding going off at specific corners he goes six times off at those plus couple more on an overtake lap and FIA does their usual selective ostrich impression and so does "rules are rules" audience. You might add Alonso brake testing 20 times for Verstappen's crashing on his own apologists ;-) Hamilton winning only through Rosberg's gearbox(?) failure.

No one's denying Silverstone's classic status or place and no, the old track was not better for F1, that's not the point. At least FI brought a big update and there's a chance for both more chassis (Toro Rosso) and more engine (Merc customers) teams to compete.

Vasconia

ChrisF1 wrote:Rosberg has this in the bag.
Based on waht?

I really want to see Rosberg winning this GP. Both drivers would be almost with the same points and it would be hard for Hamilton to be beaten by Rosberg here.

Sniffit

Uh, is this F1 or rally? They are driving more of the track then on it.

Phil

Vasconia wrote:
ChrisF1 wrote:Rosberg has this in the bag.
Based on waht?

I really want to see Rosberg winning this GP. Both drivers would be almost with the same points and it would be hard for Hamilton to be beaten by Rosberg here.
Perhaps pressure. Things haven't really been going his way for a couple of races, sans Canada. Monaco was a huge cock-up that cost him 17 points relative to Rosberg and Austria should have been an easy win if not for that botched race-start (which he is usually quite good at), but the race-pace Rosberg showed was extremely good. Perhaps Austria isn't a great benchmark since set-up is extremely hard and Rosberg lucked into a more comfortable setting... Unfortunately, I couldn't watch the race live, so I'm maybe lacking some information here and there, but as a Hamilton supporter, Rosberg had a too easy victory.

Also, I'm a bit baffled by Hamilton not going testing. I know one can argue about how important it is, but Rosberg is showing all the right signs (a bit like Vettel): determined, focused and hard-working. True, that's just who he is and how he races vs. Hamilton who is probably the more naturally gifted talent with a less analytical approach, but still... And going testing, being with your team ought to strengthen the bond between you and your team and engineers. Or at least, that's just my humble observation as a F1 outsider and spectator.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

majki2111

Hamilton doesn't look comfortable...

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

FP1 Results

SilverArrow10

Mercedes has been called to the stewards for hiding Rosberg's car. See a grid penalty coming.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Phil wrote: Austria should have been an easy win if not for that botched race-start (which he is usually quite good at),
He had a car issue so it wasn't him that botched the start.
Also, I'm a bit baffled by Hamilton not going testing.
Apparently he had a medical issue - at least he was seeing his doctor but no info as to why.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Phil

SilverArrow10 wrote:Mercedes has been called to the stewards for hiding Rosberg's car. See a grid penalty coming.
Oh dear... wouldn't be entirely fair to Rosberg, but I still think the best way to fine a team (as it is a team-sport) is through the driver and a grid penalty, even if it seems unjust. Perhaps a good way to punish would be to apply any grid-penalty to both drivers of the team. But I guess this would be for another topic...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter