2016 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 22-24 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ChrisDanger

2016 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 22-24 July

Description:
The Hungaroring has been on the calendar since 1986, when Hungary hosted its first Grand Prix since the 1930s, and 2016 marks the 20th race at the circuit. Dubbed as a “go-cart track on steroids” the tight and twisty circuit is very demanding to drive, especially in the dry midsummer heat. The track is located in a valley which provides natural vantage points for spectators and is usually dusty from being underused, at least until the track has seen some action. The twisty and bumpy nature of the circuit has traditionally made overtaking difficult, but has been resurfaced for 2016 with some verge and run-off areas expanded.

Official Website: http://hungaroring.hu/en/dest

Times and Stats:
Track Map:

Tyre Allocation:

Qualifying Results: (click year column to link to full results)
ImageImageImage

Race Results: (click year column to link to full results)
ImageImageImage

2014* Pole Lap:

* Sorry, I couldn't find a decent quality version of Hamilton's 2015 Pole Lap.
I put Hamilton in the header image for any disappointed Hamilton fans, if it's any consolation.

World Drivers' Championship Standings:

World Constructors' Championship Standings:

dren

Re: 2016 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 22-24 July

Red Bull is about to pass Ferrari in the constructors. Lewis is going to pass Rosberg. Will the Mercedes be able to win the race after they win qualifying?
Honda!

dans79

197 104 103 7

Jolle

I hope for his competition that Hamilton gets another movie set invitation....

F1NAC

Ferrari super aggressive with strategy!

dans79

Jolle wrote:I hope for his competition that Hamilton gets another movie set invitation....
He would probably turn it down this year!

In all honesty, I'm hoping he wins. If he does, he will take the record for most wins away from Michael.
197 104 103 7

piast9

dren wrote:Red Bull is about to pass Ferrari in the constructors.
Possibly but I am not sure. Ferrari seems to struggle in cold weather. Hungary usually is nice and warm.

Jolle

piast9 wrote:
Possibly but I am not sure. Ferrari seems to struggle in cold weather. Hungary usually is nice and warm.
Just raw speed isn't everything for the second place in the constructors anymore, you have to decent finishes with both drivers. The reliability of the Ferrari's plus Kimi's "not every race as fast as it should go" may cost them dearly.

giantfan10

Jolle wrote:
piast9 wrote:
Just raw speed isn't everything for the second place in the constructors anymore, you have to decent finishes with both drivers. The reliability of the Ferrari's plus Kimi's "not every race as fast as it should go" may cost them dearly.
Red bull is next on the reliability karma list... we had Mercedes with hamilton and gearboxes.. we had Ferrari and Vettel and gearboxes...will it be max or ricciardo? Lol
Hopefully the sun stays out like it normally does in Hungary and we have no gearbox issues for any teams.. : )
Red bull it seems has developed some tire usage issues lets see how that plays out in higher temperatures.
I cant wait : )
Oh yea this tidbit from Mercedes paddy lowe explains red bulls world class aero thats the best in F1...[sarcasm off]
"It’s interesting that Red Bull are constantly peddling a story about the low power they’ve got, but just to set the record straight at this event as they often do, they chose to run a higher level of wing than we did.
"Therefore they look like they have less power and they’re quicker in the corners, because that’s the choice they make."
Interesting contradiction of the widely held belief that red bull somehow generates more downforce with their chassis when in fact they normally run more wing like mere mortal teams have to lol
More:
"The Red Bull car is generally a car that functions very well in the wet, with a lot of drag," Wolff added.
Last edited by giantfan10 on 13 Jul 2016, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

ds.raikkonen

Still remember this pass in 2008, superb start by Massa. Pity he retired 3 laps from the end with an engine failure:
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

iotar__

ds.raikkonen wrote:Still remember this pass in 2008, superb start by Massa. Pity he retired 3 laps from the end with an engine failure:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JULb ... ary_03.jpg
That's OT :wink: . I glanced at wikipedia and this part is nicely related to current F1 (Vettel, Austria, Spa). The horror, driving and debris can cause punctures and it's difficult to assess precisely. Dedicated to good old times disease crowd.
"Bridgestone director of motorsport Hirohide Hamashima said Hamilton's puncture was probably caused by debris, although as a result of the damage the tyre had sustained, the precise nature of the failure was impossible to determine. He also stated that Hamilton's tyre was more vulnerable to debris damage because he had flat-spotted it earlier in the race."
RB can't complain about the engine*, Merc didn't have any pace problems (but the team didn't want to win it twice), I still feel Ferrari should be fine/close here so it might be mildly interesting.
* http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce ... er-798050/ "Red Bull are constantly peddling a story about the low power they’ve got, but just to set the record straight at this event as they often do, they chose to run a higher level of wing than we did.
"Therefore they look like they have less power and they’re quicker in the corners, because that’s the choice they make.

BanMeToo

I'm interested in Ferrari v Red Bull

godlameroso

Super fantastic awesome no.1 weather forecast. Chance of rain throughout the weekend, temperatures with a high of 29c, most likely in the mid 20's. Track temperature can reach as high as 40c, but will likely be 33-38c range, cooler if it rains obviously. It usually rains in the afternoon here, and could make it interesting. I'm a pessimist however, and firmly believe in the law of averages. The last two years the racing has been awesome at the Hungaroring, this year I fear we will finally get a snoozefest.

If it's dry, I see pole being low 19's maybe high 18's, hopefully I can keep my conservative pole guess streak going.
Saishū kōnā

GPR-A duplicate2

godlameroso wrote:Chance of rain throughout the weekend,
I wish for rain for a wet race.

F1NAC

Wet races are boring when we have SC deployed until it dries out.

I would like to see dry one. Just to see clear how far Ferrari in this twisty circuit is and how comparable is with RB.