Australian GP 2010 - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
WhiteBlue

Re: Australian GP 2010 (Melbourne)

Hangaku wrote:@WB: Analyzing what happened in T1 with a bunch of static images defies common sense. How can you make any serious decision about who was right or wrong, when it's not possible to understand the momentum and relative speed of all the cars?

If anyone was in the wrong, they'd have had their hands slapped, and nobody did. End of.
Analyzing with a sequence of 18 static images is a lot better than a bunch of fan boy talk with no data to support it. I assure you if I could legally distribute my video and had access to the telemetry I would not spare the effort to share that. We all agreed a long time ago that the stewards were correct in not punishing the action of any of the drivers. Nevertheless several users appreciated the effort to provide a still image sequence with comment. First corner accidents are always going to happen in F1 and it meets the interests of many fans to look into the finer detail as their commentators can.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

dave34m
dave34m

WhiteBlue wrote:
Hangaku wrote:@WB: Analyzing what happened in T1 with a bunch of static images defies common sense. How can you make any serious decision about who was right or wrong, when it's not possible to understand the momentum and relative speed of all the cars?

If anyone was in the wrong, they'd have had their hands slapped, and nobody did. End of.
Analyzing with a sequence of 18 static images is a lot better than a bunch of fan boy talk with no data to support it. I assure you if I could legally distribute my video and had access to the telemetry I would not spare the effort to share that. We all agreed a long time ago that the stewards were correct in not punishing the action of any of the drivers. Nevertheless several users appreciated the effort to provide a still image sequence with comment. First corner accidents are always going to happen in F1 and it meets the interests of many fans to look into the finer detail as their commentators can.
The images were very interesting indeed but the real proof does lie in the video. I really can't see the sense in trying to blame anyone for a first corner incident like that. Any or all could have backed off anytime but thats not going to win you many GPs. I believe it was just a race incident.

Pedro
Pedro

Team-mates duels:

Qualification

Race
I was comparing just teams where both drivers were classified.

Fastest lap in race

Average lap in race

Source: F1news.cz
http://f1news.cz/novinky/34380-jak-dopa ... australii/
Source: F1news.cz
http://www.f1news.cz

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

DaveKillens wrote:And Felipe Massa, the missing man. Missing because in this thread, no one has seriously talked about Massa. Felipe has retured from what could have been a career-ending injury, not only to retain his seat at Ferrari, but do what no one else has done so far this year. Two races so far, and Massa is the only man to be on the podium both times. Mr Felipe Massa, I salute you, sir.
+1 for this and the rest of your comment, that I don't want to quote again...

xpensive
xpensive

And Webber, in one of the best cars, made a complete arse of himself at his homerace. Pathetic.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Shaddock

DaveKillens wrote:
And when you mention Lewis Hamilton's drive on Sunday, yes, it was memorable. I will never forget the whining and bitching he did about the extra pit stop. I do have to admit that was incredibly funny and entertaining. Now that, I won't forget.

In summation, Jenson Button won, not Hamilton.
Jenson did win, but I am not sure he earned it, more like handed it on a golden plate when Seb retired. I think Seb has handled the situation he is found himself in better than Lewis has. No bitching and no whining, well not publicly anyway.

Lewis made a massive mistake in Quali 2, if he had qualified on the front, couple of rows he would have probably have won the race, but that’s his own fault, not the teams.

Looking back on the race Jenson was going backwards on the inters after just 6 laps. He’d just been passed by Lewis and was complaining of balance issues on the car. He didn’t have much choice other than to gamble on dry tyres (more luck than good judgement?), which handed him second place, first if he’d kept it on the track on the first lap.

An interesting conversation between Massa and Rob Smedley. Rob was lecturing Filipe on how to drive the car,” you need to apply less throttle out of the turn” as he was loosing time in that corner.

I’m sure I heard a faint whisper of brake, turn left, accelerate……….. at the end of the straight :lol:

Hangaku

Shaddock wrote:An interesting conversation between Massa and Rob Smedley. Rob was lecturing Filipe on how to drive the car,” you need to apply less throttle out of the turn” as he was loosing time in that corner.

I’m sure I heard a faint whisper of brake, turn left, accelerate……….. at the end of the straight :lol:
Turn left? I hope not :o

During the GP on BBC, Brundle's reaction to the radio was quite good - he was unable to believe that this Race Engineer was telling Massa how to drive. Perhaps they are afraid that he's has lost a bit of an edge after his accident :wink:

That said, he's not well known for driving in wet / damp conditions. I remember Silverstone 2 years ago, Mr. Massa must have ditched it 6 or 7 times in the race, it was quite impressive.
Yer.

horse

Shaddock wrote:Jenson did win, but I am not sure he earned it, more like handed it on a golden plate when Seb retired.
Same deal for Alonso at Bahrain. That's the way motor racing works sometimes. He certainly deserved the podium after being ballsy enough to come in when everyone else was still going around on the inters. You're right, he wasn't going so well on the inters but at least he was willing to take the chance that he would perform better on the slicks and he did, passed Kubica to take second place and then tracked Vettel till Vettel slid off. Boring win after lap 10 maybe, but due credit for a win nonetheless.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Miguel
Miguel

The thing about Massa and Smedley is that they are a team. For some reason, there's a good communication flow between the two, and they trust each other. It goes as far as Massa blindly believing Smedley when he told him he could go a few km/h faster in Sainte Devote. That relation is probably the key part that has turned Massa into a faster driver.

Personally, I don't think this could happen with either Lewis and Fernando. They are perhaps more confident in their driving skills and may have a considerably stronger character (see "I don't want to know" or "who took the friggin' decision to pit?").
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

In Ham's case though, not enough experience to over rule engineer's suggestion....

Shaddock

RacingManiac wrote:In Ham's case though, not enough experience to over rule engineer's suggestion....
I think the people that make the call are back in Woking with the computers.
I agree Felipe and Rob do work very well as a team, better than Kimi did with Chris.

I’ve managed to get a spy shot of the latest go faster Ferrari development, specifically aimed to improve Felipe’s race pace.

Pandamasque

Hangaku wrote:
Shaddock wrote:An interesting conversation between Massa and Rob Smedley. Rob was lecturing Filipe on how to drive the car,” you need to apply less throttle out of the turn” as he was loosing time in that corner.

During the GP on BBC, Brundle's reaction to the radio was quite good - he was unable to believe that this Race Engineer was telling Massa how to drive. Perhaps they are afraid that he's has lost a bit of an edge after his accident :wink:

That said, he's not well known for driving in wet / damp conditions. I remember Silverstone 2 years ago, Mr. Massa must have ditched it 6 or 7 times in the race, it was quite impressive.
I think you guys missed the point here a little bit.

Massa was in danger of losing his position on the straight due to his car not being able to exit the final turn as fast as the car behind could. The engineer suggested him to get on the throttle a bit later but less gradually.
The car behind couldn't overtake on the slow bit anyway so Massa could easily afford to make the car behind wait till he gets on the throttle a bit late, but at the exit both cars would be comfortably flooring it so the faster car behind wouldn't be able to use the advantage in traction. It's a quite simple defensive technique.

Shaddock

Pandamasque wrote:
Hangaku wrote:

I think you guys missed the point here a little bit.

Massa was in danger of losing his position on the straight due to his car not being able to exit the final turn as fast as the car behind could. The engineer suggested him to get on the throttle a bit later but less gradually.
The car behind couldn't overtake on the slow bit anyway so Massa could easily afford to make the car behind wait till he gets on the throttle a bit late, but at the exit both cars would be comfortably flooring it so the faster car behind wouldn't be able to use the advantage in traction. It's a quite simple defensive technique.
I completely agree with you, the point I was trying to make is that Filipe spent most of the race looking sideways down the straight at that corner, did he really need telling the obvious.

deus1066
deus1066

Highlight of the race for me:

Alonso's radio: Hamilton is 3.5 s behind
Alons: I don't want to know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oVLOAXFxxE

timbo
timbo

I remember something similar with Kubica @ British GP 2008 quali -- he was at the pits and his engineer said something like "if you out of the track do so and so" and Kubica replied "don't ever tell such things to me" or something like that :)