Malaysian GP 2010 - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
WhiteBlue

Malaysian GP 2010 - Sepang

PDF download here!

F1 TIMETABLE

Fri 02 April 2010
Practice 1 10:00 - 11:30
Practice 2 14:00 - 15:30

Sat 03 April 2010
Practice 3 13:00 - 14:00
Qualifying 16:00

Sun 04 April 2010
Race 16:00

I'm opening the Maylaysian GP thread a bit early because I have a proposal. How would it be if we open the respective thread always with general information like the bits from the FiA page above. As soon as available we could also add some information from the FiA media center - like the nominated driver steward, the schedule of press conferences, weather forcasts and the results of the sessions.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: Malaysian GP 2010 - Sepang

Why do you have to be so formal about it? Just add the info if you wish to do so. :)

Kudos on the great map+info though!

The Australian GP isn't even under way yet and we already have this thread. :roll: :lol:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

10 day weather fourcast from MSN: http://weather.msn.com/tenday.aspx?weal ... ast:tenday

I am liking what i am seeing so far.

gibells
gibells

Cannot wait for some more racing. Please please more rain. Because based on Oz, good though it was, there seems to be very little chance of getting around people in stable conditions.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Sepang is quite a good track with pleanty of overtaking opportunities. I like what I'm seeing on the long range forecast but my worries are that is a safety car start (totally pointless) and the race length could be shortened.

dave34m
dave34m

andrew wrote:Sepang is quite a good track with pleanty of overtaking opportunities. I like what I'm seeing on the long range forecast but my worries are that is a safety car start (totally pointless) and the race length could be shortened.
Must be a real good long range forecast

meves
meves

Fortuantely you don't need much long range weather forecasting there, the rainy season is from November to March (although April is still very wet). The usual course of events is it's dry in the morning and early afternoon the clouds build and it rains a lot through the afternoon.

The usual sites are beginning to realise that it's likely to rain, so it could be outboard motor time again!
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/formula-1-new ... -forecast/

WhiteBlue

It is time they do something about this problem. Four fly away races for the start of the season isn't ideal either. Bernie needs to find another solution.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Miguel
Miguel

Wikipedia has a nice table with the average weather in Kuala Lumpur. Amazing. 16 days of rain in April (slightly less than Donostia-San Sebastian in November) and a whooping 250mm of rain (50% more than my home city in November, which I would consider pretty rainy). And then, yeah, basically everybody agrees that it mostly rains on dusk. Who had this great idea of running the race at dusk in March-April? Odds are it will rain.

EDIT: Talking about the race, if other teams don't come up with a blown wing solution similar to McLaren, they will have a huge disadvantage. While it wasn't that noticeable in Bahrain, the MP4/25 had 4 km/h advantage over Renault, 7 over Ferrari and an incredible 15 km/h advantage over Red Bull (maybe overconfident regarding their speed, and completely forgetting about top speed). Having this top speed advantage without sacrificing downforce in the corners is key to overtaking.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

jddh1

I tip Seb Vettel to finally pick up his first win of the season.

jon-mullen

Here's Button's pole lab from last year, @ 1:35.181 (fueled for start). Q2's fastest lap was Button @ 1:33.784.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJYSBx-L_0E[/youtube]
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

Mr Alcatraz

jddh1 wrote:I tip Seb Vettel to finally pick up his first win of the season.
It's shaping up to be a real cluster-fu(k as rain is on the bill of fare.
On the positive side for Vettel, unlike last season where he got into engine trouble early, this season he has low miles due to a retirement.
He could, and might opt for a new lump, and save the power-plant he used in OZ for a less demanding track.
Personally I think his jinxed season start may not have run its course.
Depending on the way the race develops he may find himself in a position of peril if he's not on the front row, due to a wet or varying precipitation in Quali.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Sean H
Sean H

with rain looming, it will be a battle between LH and Alonso.
"The car is slow in the straights and doesn't work well in the corners." JV

raymondu999

Let's not forget Vettel is amazing in the rain too. He dominated Monza 2008 on a dry setup
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Poleman

raymondu999 wrote:Let's not forget Vettel is amazing in the rain too. He dominated Monza 2008 on a dry setup
Yea sometimes sh*t happens... :lol: :lol: Seriously now he seems to be OK too...not as Fernando and Lewis but at least close to their levels...I cant recall any other spectacular drive in the wet for Sebastian till Monza 2008.