Korean GP 2010 - Yeongam

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MikeFromCanada

Re: Korean GP 2010 - Yeongam

Gerhard Berger wrote:Back on topic, Marko has said he is worried about the long straights at Korea.
As has CH, however backing it up by saying sectors 2 and 3 are Red Bull territory.

I think the downforce levels run will be along the same lines as Spa and Turkey, especially for in the race. Each lap will end up being a tale of two halves, however the straightline advantage/disadvantage will probably provide more benefit come race day.

The start will also be interesting, going into the first left handed hairpin. Should provide a big advantage for those starting on an even numbered grid position (on the left side)

WhiteBlue

forty-two wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:This could see Webber qualifying as low as P4 and Vettel in P1 ideally.
Surely the addition of the word "ideally" at the end of your statement is something which depends upon which driver you happen to like, Vettel in your case presumably?
I would be happy to see Seb crossing the line in P1 and Mark in P4.

Webber has not been on the qualifying pace on circuits which did not suit the Red Bull 100%. Singapore was the latest example. Vettel, Alonso, Button and Hamilton were much faster but Webber got extremely lucky in the race. His race accident with Hamilton took Hamilton out and kept him in the race with a tyre damage that would normally have meant the end of the race for him as well.

If the drivers show similar qualifying form in Korea and Mark isn't gifted a podium again by lady luck a P1/P4 finish for the Red Bull drivers with Seb on the podium is a realistic possibility. To me it would look like poetic justice. We could see them go into the two final races nose to nose. I would love to see a Red Bull shoot out going to the wire.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

andartop
andartop

WhiteBlue wrote: I would love to see a Red Bull shoot out going to the wire.
Seriously now, what if they arrive at Abu Dhabi with equal points in the WDC and Alonso, say, 10 points behind them, and they qualify 1st and 2nd on the grid followed by the Ferrari? Will Christian Horner just allow them to race each other? :lol:
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Sean H
Sean H

andartop wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote: I would love to see a Red Bull shoot out going to the wire.
Seriously now, what if they arrive at Abu Dhabi with equal points in the WDC and Alonso, say, 10 points behind them, and they qualify 1st and 2nd on the grid followed by the Ferrari? Will Christian Horner just allow them to race each other? :lol:

If that happens, then I say Alonso wins WDC after Vettel spears Webber.
"The car is slow in the straights and doesn't work well in the corners." JV

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Agreed. If the two RB drivers are on equal points at the last race, they will both end up losing the title because they'll inevitably fight in to the first corner and there will be carnage.

Vettel will try to chop Webber in his usual style and Webber will play the no-nonsense Aussie role to perfection. Result will be one or both out of the race/points.

This season does show why Ferrari were right to have a fully defined No. 1 driver in the Schuie days, even if it does take a slight edge off the shine of his record. Two fast and determined drivers in the best car on the grid is always going to be difficult to control. I think, in some ways, that McLaren are lucky this year that their car hasn't been in the RB6's position. I have no doubts that they'd have had more trouble with their drivers than they have this year. Although I think that, given the RB6, Hamilton would have done better than Button over the season.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

forty-two

Just_a_fan wrote:...I think that, given the RB6, Hamilton would have done better than Button over the season.
I know this is a little off topic, but a lot of people have said this all through the season and even before it started, but the WDC points would not necessarily agree with it.

Button is currently only three points shy of Hamilton even so far into the season. I for one think that Button has shown that he CAN live with Hamilton in the same car.

I know there's lots of factors to take into account, but it should be noted that Button has had at least two DNFs which were nothing to do with him this season, while Lewis has had two which were arguably, at least partly his doing.

If however you meant that if Button and Hamilton were driving the RB6 this year, then you might be right. The RB6 might well suit Lewis' style more than it suits Jenson's, but I guess we'll never know!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

spinmastermic

The organisers are saying the landscaping is yet to be done but it already looks better than Bahrain :lol:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

forty-two wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:...I think that, given the RB6, Hamilton would have done better than Button over the season.

If however you meant that if Button and Hamilton were driving the RB6 this year, then you might be right. The RB6 might well suit Lewis' style more than it suits Jenson's, but I guess we'll never know!
I thought that was implicit in my post... :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

timd
timd

Ok here's my prediction. Long straights plus some twisties. Key braking zones and a new surface equals ferarri consistent traction and braking territories.

Alonso massa qualy p1 p2. Massa in a bid to win back some credits wipes out alonso on a surface which is braking up in the breaking zones due to no time to cure.

Massa out of ferarri for 2011 and a good drama for the press until brazil.

What you all think? ;) Come on that would be fun we need a good Ferarri drama

raymondu999

Well sounds like a Hollywood script :p Don't think it's very likely to see a Ferrari front row though.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

forty-two wrote:
I know this is a little off topic, but a lot of people have said this all through the season and even before it started, but the WDC points would not necessarily agree with it.

Button is currently only three points shy of Hamilton even so far into the season. I for one think that Button has shown that he CAN live with Hamilton in the same car.

I know there's lots of factors to take into account, but it should be noted that Button has had at least two DNFs which were nothing to do with him this season, while Lewis has had two which were arguably, at least partly his doing.

Off topic.. but button has never beat Hamilton on pace in a dry race. In fact Button has been dominated pace wise in all the races where he hand Hamilton had healthy finishes. Having a RedBull would just make things look even worse, because Button would never pole with Hamilton in the other RedBull, and lets not forget Button is not a great defender by any means, so even if he poled he would get overtaken by hamilton in the first corner. But back on topic...

I think this track is a mechanical track. The turns are heavily off camber (slope to the outside). The Ferrari, Redbull and Renault will be very strong in sector 2 and sector 3. HRT will be strongest in Sector 4.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

Well you forgot about monza :P For the short time that they both were contesting at Monza, Jenson was ahead of Lewis.

And Sector 4? HRT will be strong? Huh?

Even if the Red Bulls lockout a front row, they'll get butchered all on the run up to turn 4
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

alelanza
alelanza

n smikle wrote: The turns are heavily off camber
Where is this info coming from?
Alejandro L.

ahmedvortex
ahmedvortex

button was ahead of lewis in Monza due to the higher downforce package chosen by Jenson and for the race pace , lewis was out by the first lap.

i remember an interview with Herman Tilke about the design of Yeongam , he said , he gonna try to make the track suitable for ( aero grip, mechanical grip, max speed ) depending on the sector , i'm waiting for the race to see the truth .

Racer-X

I would say the pole position lap time will be 1:31.998 and S.Vet will be the man (at least on qualy)