Abu Dhabi GP 2010 - Yas Marina Circuit

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
segedunum
segedunum

Re: Abu Dhabi GP 2010 - Yas Marina Circuit

The fact is that Red Bull believed that Vettel was their best chance and Webber has proved them right. His further comments about not being 'emotionally supported' have backfired badly. He should have just kept his mouth shut when he won at Silverstone.

There is no way Webber should have ended up losing this championship.

gridwalker
gridwalker

segedunum wrote:
djos wrote:Hey who wrote that, Me or You? That's right Me and I know how I wrote it! #-o
No....you don't. That's what's sad about it. You might believe you're trying to be 'sarcastic' (looking up what sarcasm means might help), but since Mark Webber actually believes he's a number 2 and that's how he justifies things to himself there's not a drop of sarcasm or double meaning in there.
Ok, Seg, this is just semantics : Sarcasm was technically the wrong word, but the intention behind the phrasing is pretty clear.

The literary device being employed between the quotation marks was actually Irony :
The Dictionary wrote:i·ro·ny
[ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-]
–noun, plural -nies.

The use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.
Either way, the construction of the sentence was clearly intended to imply that the description was one that shouldn't apply to the current situation but is being implied by third parties regardless.

Sometimes I think people around here argue just because they have nothing better to do with their time.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

raymondu999

I for one am CERTAINLY not a Webber fan, and I'm a fan of the reigning WDC (aka his teammate aka "Not bad for a number 1 driver") Having said that, I expected Vettel to dominate over Webber in an almost Senna-esque manner in that he would produce a massive qualifying advantage and also in the race... Kind of like what Lewis did to Kovalainen for most of their time together. After all, Webber WAS outqualified 15-2 in 2009.

Webber has certainly outdone my expectations this year. A regular race winner? I could kind of understand, but I expected him to start to falter around Monza thereabouts and fall out of title contention, like last year. Webber has exceeded all of my expectations this year. Respect.

The irony that is here, is that the team that won the double championship, won it because they DIDN'T use team orders? To those who felt RB should've swapped orders in Suzuka, or maybe Brazil, what do you think now? The very thing that people thought would protect RB from handing the title to El Nando was the very thing that kept them from handing it over.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

segedunum
segedunum

gridwalker wrote:Ok, Seg, this is just semantics : Sarcasm was technically the wrong word, but the intention behind the phrasing is pretty clear.
There's nothing ironic there at all because it's not 'conveying a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning'. The literal meaning, and from what we've heard Mark say himself, is that he believes that he's a number 2. In reality, he should not have lost that championship and has never been a number 2 in the chances he's had, making him look a bit of an idiot.

That's the real irony here. If that's what he's really trying to say here then it's at odds with everything else he's said. :D
Sometimes I think people around here argue just because they have nothing better to do with their time.
:lol: That's what forums are generally for.

komninosm
komninosm

myurr wrote:
komninosm wrote:Lack of refuelling made strategy variety and overtaking even more of a living hell than normal. I mean come on, every single car had 1 stop.
Lack of refuelling wasn't the problem, it's the damned tyres. When the supposedly marginal option tyre can manage two thirds race distance on a supposedly high wearing surface without giving away much performance then something is seriously wrong. We need option tyres that are good for approx 1/4 to 1/3rd race distance, with prime tyres good for 1/3rd to 1/2 race distance. That should split the strategies between 2 and 3 stops with an outside chance of someone being able to pull off a 1 stop if they're really careful and are able to defend on shot tyres in the closing laps.

Hopefully that's what we'll get with the Pirelli's next year, and when coupled to the removal of the double diffuser then hopefully we'll get better on track action as well.
Sure tire situation sucked, but even if we get our A,B,C,Ds back, it would still be better to have refuelling because refuelling makes strategies with more than 1 pit-stop more effective. I hope I don't have to explain how.

Shrieker

@djos

Your bias is blinding; while I am a fan of LH, accusing me of fanboyism just won't cut it for you.

So, one becomes an 'above average' driver if he wins 4 races and chops other cars on five other occasions eh ? He's crashed into others more than he's won lol.

--End--

I hear Alonso has won the DHL fastest lap competition 8)
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

gridwalker
gridwalker

segedunum wrote:That's what forums are generally for.
Maybe for you, it seems to be your raison d'etre.

Placing the quotation marks around number 2 made it ironic, because it was using a phrasing that the OP does not agree with in order to describe a proponent who the OP does not believe deserves that label. The laws of subjectivity make it an ironic statement, whether you agree with it or not.

You suggest that the OP look up sarcasm in a dictionary, when you clearly need a lesson in the rules of grammar. But, hey, what do I know? I only proof read all of my company's technical and promotional literature.

Back to Abu Dhabi please folks ...

What were people's impressions of Vettel's questionable pace control at the end of the safety car period? I am surprised that there wasn't an investigation, as he dropped WAY back (further than the mandated 10 car lengths IMHO) and Hamilton obviously had difficulty maintaining his position behind him.
Last edited by gridwalker on 15 Nov 2010, 14:19, edited 4 times in total.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

komninosm wrote:What I also noticed was that Schumacher tried to go forward when he was facing the wrong way. Look at his tires. He had selected 1st gear and spun them, but then stopped as he realised it was stupid. Maybe if he had let his car slide backwards or off track a bit more he would have been missed by all other cars. That accident was his fault anyway. He lost his rear, there was no contact with Rosberg as someone said here.
What? Where else was he meant to go? The only sensible thing to do was to try and get off the track but a Force India scuppered this. If he went backwards, then there would have been a bigger pile-up. I think you have the orientation a bit wrong there. Anyway it was just one of those things, as Shumcaher admitted.

G37Sam
G37Sam

I added pix from the F1 Weekend here @ Yas

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9151

Congrats to Vettel and Red Bull on the victory

zeph
zeph

gridwalker wrote: What were people's impressions of Vettel's questionable pace control at the end of the safety car period? I am surprised that there wasn't an investigation, as he dropped WAY back (further than the mandated 10 car lengths IMHO) and Hamilton obviously had difficulty maintaining his position behind him.
I know! What was that?

gridwalker
gridwalker

A break test, IMHO

komninosm
komninosm

andrew wrote:
komninosm wrote:What I also noticed was that Shoemaker tried to go forward when he was facing the wrong way. Look at his tires. He had selected 1st gear and spun them, but then stopped as he realised it was stupid. Maybe if he had let his car slide backwards or off track a bit more he would have been missed by all other cars. That accident was his fault anyway. He lost his rear, there was no contact with Rosberg as someone said here.
What? Where else was he meant to go? The only sensible thing to do was to try and get off the track but a Force India scuppered this. If he went backwards, then there would have been a bigger pile-up. I think you have the orientation a bit wrong there. Anyway it was just one of those things, as Shumcaher admitted.
:roll: Go watch it again...
He immediately pushed the gas pedal then stopped realising that half the grid was coming at him and this was no time to make a U-turn on track. Stop trolling please.

komninosm
komninosm

gridwalker wrote:What were people's impressions of Vettel's questionable pace control at the end of the safety car period? I am surprised that there wasn't an investigation, as he dropped WAY back (further than the mandated 10 car lengths IMHO) and Hamilton obviously had difficulty maintaining his position behind him.
People don't want to talk about that. It scares them :p
I don't even want to talk about that. Let's say he's guilty, what then? A penalty? That gives the champion title to another? Again? 2007 was enough.

segedunum
segedunum

gridwalker wrote:Maybe for you, it seems to be your raison d'etre.
Hmmmmm. Now that is ironic - doing the opposite of what you're arguing for. :D
Placing the quotation marks around number 2 made it ironic, because it was using a phrasing that the OP does not agree with in order to describe a proponent who the OP does not believe deserves that description. The laws of subjectivity makes it an ironic statement, whether you agree with it or not.
You can't make something ironic that isn't. Something isn't ironic because you believe that it is. I described where the irony was there, and it wasn't what the OP thought. That's irony. If he doesn't actually agree with 'number 2' by putting quote marks around it then he's arguing against himself. That's irony. There's no useful purpose served by putting them there.
But, hey, what do I know? I only proof read all of my company's technical and promotional literature.
That kind of explains the dialect of English we get out of companies these days........ It doesn't stop logical fallacies though.
Back to Abu Dhabi please folks ...
Please do, unless you're up for more irony.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

gridwalker wrote: What were people's impressions of Vettel's questionable pace control at the end of the safety car period? I am surprised that there wasn't an investigation, as he dropped WAY back (further than the mandated 10 car lengths IMHO) and Hamilton obviously had difficulty maintaining his position behind him.
It depends whether the blinking lights on the SC are on or off. After they go off signaling SC is going in, the race leader becomes effectively the pace setter.
komninosm wrote: :roll: Go watch it again...
He immediately pushed the gas pedal then stopped realising that half the grid was coming at him and this was no time to make a U-turn on track. Stop trolling please.
Pushed the gas to stop the car sliding backwards and eventually continue turning until in the right direction again. That's an immediate reflective reaction. But there were too many crowded cars and he stopped.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012