Australian GP 2011 - Albert Park, 24-27 March

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
komninosm
komninosm

Re: Australian GP 2011 - Albert Park, 24-27 March

flixfe wrote:Anyone caught Perez overtaking Vettel? Presumable after Vettel stopped and Perez did not yet. Didn't see it on the screen though.

Perez' statement:
I will never forget this race, that is certain. After we changed from the hard to the soft tyres, I thought at first I had to push. But then I realised I could manage the tyres quite well and we decided to go to the end with them. I lost some time behind Sebastian Vettel, but I was then able to overtake him. I used the rear wing and he also left room.
No, this is news to me.

komninosm
komninosm

747heavy wrote:anybody else has heard about this rumor?
Paddocktalk.com wrote: F1: Glitch In FIA System Affected Moveable Wing ?

An FIA glitch marred the start of Rubens Barrichello's Australian grand prix, Williams has revealed.

Immediately after the Melbourne race, the British team said the Brazilian driver had "problems with the sector settings on the moveable rear wing".

To Auto Motor und Sport, team manager Dickie Stanford elaborates: "Something in the race control system was wrong.

"Barrichello couldn't use his rear wing on the home straight even though a few times he was close enough to the car in front.

"It was (mistakenly) programmed for the second sector," said Stanford.

He said the team told Barrichello not to use the wing in sector two while Williams communicated to race control by email to have the glitch cleared.

"That's why I took so long to get past Heidfeld," said Barrichello.

Glitch aside, the paddock as a whole is reacting cautiously to the debut of the 'drag reduction system' after Melbourne, a circuit featuring only a short main straight.

"We need to wait," Ferrari's Stefano Domenicali is quoted by Turun Sanomat, while Red Bull boss Christian Horner commented: "It didn't have much effect but it's too early to evaluate."

Fernando Alonso told La Stampa: "The wing helped me to pass Rosberg, but not Button. If the pace gap between the cars is 2-3 tenths only, it's not enough to pass."
Hehe I told you guys this would happen in my "Is this fair" thread/poll.

raymondu999

komninosm wrote:
flixfe wrote:Anyone caught Perez overtaking Vettel? Presumable after Vettel stopped and Perez did not yet. Didn't see it on the screen though.

Perez' statement:
I will never forget this race, that is certain. After we changed from the hard to the soft tyres, I thought at first I had to push. But then I realised I could manage the tyres quite well and we decided to go to the end with them. I lost some time behind Sebastian Vettel, but I was then able to overtake him. I used the rear wing and he also left room.
No, this is news to me.
I don't remember Perez ever having track position behind Vettel. Was that an unlapping move?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

komninosm
komninosm

andartop wrote:Really wish Vettel hadn't gone off the track while overtaking Button, got stuck behind him for 10 laps and eventually got "jumped" by Hamilton.

Would it then be reasonable to expect comments of disgust towards McLaren team orders, Button being Hamilton's "bitch" and Hamilton being disgraced due to depending on the No 2 driver "blocking" his main opponent to claim an undeserved victory?

Probably not.

It would be "Vettel can't overtake" all over again..

#-o
That wouldn't have been team orders, it's usual for any driver to resist overtakes by competitors. Not to mention you're offending posters here.
/facepalm

komninosm
komninosm

raymondu999 wrote:I don't remember Perez ever having track position behind Vettel. Was that an unlapping move?
Obviously, though I don't recall it being commented on Greek TV. /shrug

747heavy

It happend in lap 35, and Perez unlaped himself, before Vettel pitted for the second time in Lap 36.

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1 ... -chart.pdf
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Ciro Pabón

Interesting, komninosm.

From now on, FIA can adjust the number of overtakes per race by adjusting the rear wing thingie.
Ciro

komninosm
komninosm

Ciro Pabón wrote:Interesting, komninosm.

From now on, FIA can adjust the number of overtakes per race by adjusting the rear wing thingie.
Heh, not sure I understand what you mean there friend. :?:

raymondu999

He means, I think, that if you were to give a 2km DRS activation zone, you'd get a lot more passes than if it were a 100m activation zone
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

kakogohrena
kakogohrena

please explain the difference in these overtaking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no3yv_hg ... r_embedded penalty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nSZTIXAoTg not penalty

myurr
myurr

kakogohrena wrote:please explain the difference in these overtaking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no3yv_hg ... r_embedded penalty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nSZTIXAoTg not penalty
Red Bull have a better lawyer?

Honestly there are no differences except the stewards appear to be more relaxed about compliance with the rules these days. That overtake did come to mind when people first started arguing about already being ahead, but I couldn't remember enough details to find the video.

Richard
Richard

Race data PDFs are now posted on the race data thread ...

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9815&p=239921

Thanks to ESP for helping out.

raymondu999

Hey and welcome to the forums; not sure what you wanna join though? I know I'd love to be an F1 driver too :wink:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Giblet
Giblet

I suspect the spam signature had something to do with his suden interest in racing cars.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute