Malaysian GP 2011 - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Malaysian GP 2011 - Sepang

Circuit information

Lap data

Lap length 5.543km (3.444 miles)

Race laps 56
Race distance 310.408km (192.879 miles)
Lap record* 1’34.223 (211.783 kph) by Juan Pablo Montoya, 2004
Fastest lap 1’32.582 (215.536 kph) by Fernando Alonso, 2005
Maximum speed 300 kph (186.411 mph)
Car performance
Full throttle 65%
Tyre wear Medium
Brake wear Medium
Downforce level 8/10
Gear changes per lap
Fuel use per lap 2.594kg
Strategy
Pit lane time loss 18.8 seconds
2011 prime tyre**: Hard (2010: Hard)
2011 option tyre**: Soft (2010: Soft)

*Fastest lap set during a Grand Prix
**Pirelli in 2011, Bridgestone in 2010

F1 session times

Friday 8th April 2011

Malaysian Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 10:00-11:30 (UK time: 3:00-4:30)
Malaysian Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 14:00-15:30 (UK time: 7:00-8:30)

Saturday 9th April 2011

Malaysian Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 13:00-14:00 (UK time: 6:00-7:00)
Malaysian Grand Prix Qualifying: 16:00 (UK time: 9:00)

Sunday 10th April 2011

Malaysian Grand Prix: 16:00 (UK time: 9:00)

2010 Result

raymondu999

Re: Malaysian GP 2011 - Sepang International Circuit

I wouldn't mind a repeat of last year Sepang's results :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob

Based on

a) the long straights
b) hamilton's comments re 'the team knows where the speed is, we just need to mop it up'
c) the fact that by 2 weeks time they might have a non-hack diffuser that isn't machined out of titanium because they didn't have enough time to make a heat resistant CF one.

I'd expect RedBull will not have anywhere near as easy a time of it here.

raymondu999

Don't forget the sweepers. That's Red Bull territory for everywhere other than the two straights.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob

Except that we've not really seen the relative aero performance of the '11 cars at all, your assertion is based entirely on the '10 bull being dominant on aero tracks. While I'm sure the bulls will still be good on the fast corners, I would be extremely surprised if the McLaren were much behind (if at all) this season, once their new design is bedded in.

i70q7m7ghw

I can't see McLaren finding a second between then and now, possible a tenth or two, but not a second. Ferrari might rediscover the form they had in testing, if it exists, so that might come in to play.

beelsebob

I can't see McLaren finding a second between then and now, possible a tenth or two, but not a second. Ferrari might rediscover the form they had in testing, if it exists, so that might come in to play.
True, but then, I couldn't imagine McLaren finding the several seconds they needed to find to be anywhere near the front at melbourne.

Morteza

Andrew back in the game of GP threads :)

Well I believe Red Bull has still got the upper hand although there are straight lines on Sepang track. So we have to see who is the second fastest! Mclaren did very well bringing their car to Australia with a big improvement in speed. Is there gonna be a dark horse? Maybe Ferrari? Renault also did well in Melbourne. Mercedes start to the season was a 100% disappointment. I wonder if they can improve their situation or not.

BTW, does anyone have any idea about Red Bull running KERS in Malaysia due to the fact that there are long straights there?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Morteza AMG - Yes I am back in the game indeed! :D

It'll be interesting to see if the AWR makes any difference given to 2 long straights. It made he-haw difference in Australia, but that was on a relatively short straight.

CHT
CHT

beelsebob wrote:
True, but then, I couldn't imagine McLaren finding the several seconds they needed to find to be anywhere near the front at melbourne.

they can managed because they copied a proven RBR and Ferrari exhaust/diffuser system between testing and first race. from now on (till europe at least) all the other upgrade will be minor and to be able to close in on RBR(who will be developing their cars too) that will be a tough call.

volarchico

If Australia is any indication of what we're to see in the future, qualifying times will continue to drop, with KERS and DRS.

With a little math-magic (looking at 2009 and 2010 times taking into account the wet qualifying last year), I'm predicting a Q3 time of 1:32.049 if it's a dry session.

alvinkhorfire

It is quite misleading that 2011 cars with Pirelli tyres are much faster than 2010 cars with Bridgestone tyres. If I am not mistaken, the average lap time for all cars during race yesterday is much slower than the lap time during 2010 Australian GP.

Clearly, DRS has helped to cause the pole laptime of 2011 Australian GP to be faster than of the 2010 race. Pretty much, all drivers tried to apply DRS on every straight as possible. Even Vettel managed to apply it near the apex of the corner.

For the sake of fair comparison, DRS should be banned during qualifying, starting from Malaysian GP 2011. It is just my opinion, though.

beelsebob

they can managed because they copied a proven RBR and Ferrari exhaust/diffuser system between testing and first race. from now on (till europe at least) all the other upgrade will be minor and to be able to close in on RBR(who will be developing their cars too) that will be a tough call.
Assuming that upgrades from now will be minor is probably rather over the top. You're talking about a team who's rear end was a first evolution idea hacked onto the back of a car that was not just designed to use, but designed completely around it's rear end concept. The idea is so hacked on that they quickly machined it out of titanium because they didn't have enough time to produce a carbon fibre version.

Basically – there's still big jumps in performance to come out of that McLaren.

myurr

Tumbarello wrote:Vettel was consistently around 3-4 tenths faster over the rest of the field in sector 3 so he was definitely going more quickly than any other car through the 11-12, whereas his times where often matched for sector 1.
He was also that much quicker than his team mate who had the same level of downforce. So it's more likely that it was a combination of car, driver, tyres, setup and conditions all coming together to give that one guy an advantage, rather than anything inherent to the Red Bull and it's aerodynamics. Otherwise Webber would have matched him through that section.

CHT
CHT

beelsebob wrote:
Assuming that upgrades from now will be minor is probably rather over the top. You're talking about a team who's rear end was a first evolution idea hacked onto the back of a car that was not just designed to use, but designed completely around it's rear end concept. The idea is so hacked on that they quickly machined it out of titanium because they didn't have enough time to produce a carbon fibre version.

Basically – there's still big jumps in performance to come out of that McLaren.
That is not an assumption, but a fact that team usually won't introduce major update to their cars during the first few fly away races of the season. Unless of course if the team runs into a desperate situation where they have no choice but take the risk. HRT might be in that category if you ask me.

You reckon Mclaren will again introduce a completely new exhaust package (or something of the same scale) in Malaysia and then gain a sec over their rivals?