Malaysian GP 2011 - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Re: Malaysian GP 2011 - Sepang

Wow. That can fit 8 or 9 cars abreast. Having said that though, I don't get your point. It wouldn't give single drivers advantages. It would just give the same advantage to everyone else.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

pearsey13

With the track that wide the FIA should definitely put down some regulations so they are never that wide. I mean when its that wide its not really forcing overtaking maneuvers or any excitement, its more of a 56 lap qualifying session :D
Because in a split second, it's gone - Ayrton Senna

FW17

raymondu999 wrote:Wow. That can fit 8 or 9 cars abreast. Having said that though, I don't get your point. It wouldn't give single drivers advantages. It would just give the same advantage to everyone else.
A lead driver should be allowed to defend his line without it looking ridiculous

raymondu999

Basically you're saying pole position should invariably be given the biggest advantage into Turn 1?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mr Alcatraz

I think you should be able to jockey for position at the start, and given a little latitude on your movements respective to other cars even if they are behind you. There are too many cars to keep track of and the uncertainty of incidents like drivers missing their braking zones. I think it should have to be a very obvious situation where two cars break away at the start on a long run to the first turn, and it is obvious that the leader is covering one other cars passing attempt. JMHO
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

beelsebob wrote: That really highlights just how much the BBC filter audio at Grand Prix – your video makes it much more clear how fricking amazingly loud a GP is.
If you've never seen an F1 car running "in the flesh" then you'd be amazed how visceral they are - the noise reaches in to you and vibrates your organs. My first time in a pit garage when one started up was truely shocking. I thought it had started up but then I realised that was just the starter system running - then the thing exploded in to life! Those V10s were amazing things! 8)

Watching one on track is equally awesome. Get the right corner and the direction change at high speed is stunning. Standing on the outside of Copse (at Silverstone) is a good spot although you're a long way from the track itself at that point. Better still, I think, is the outside of Maggotts because you're very close to the track at that spot so you get the full fury of the noise and the direction change from slightly above and behind as they sweep through to Becketts.

The TV turns F1 cars in to slightly annoying, buzzing drones when really they are fire-spitting hell-creatures! :twisted:

I took my SO to Silverstone once (on the Friday rather than race day). I think it safe to say she was pretty blown away by the cars at close quarters. She sat at one corner for a whole practise session and was genuinely interested in the differences in the cars etc. She was constantly asking questions. This from someone who would happily use the race as an excuse for a snooze on the sofa whilst I watched the TV. She now even counters the oft-heard "but it's just cars going round in circles" =D> 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

WilliamsF1 wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Wow. That can fit 8 or 9 cars abreast. Having said that though, I don't get your point. It wouldn't give single drivers advantages. It would just give the same advantage to everyone else.
A lead driver should be allowed to defend his line without it looking ridiculous
I think all drivers should be allowed to defend their lines and positions. I'd be happy with multiple movements leading up to the corner but once in to the braking zone then no more movements from the guy in front.

This whole "only one movement" rubbish is annoying and detracts from the racing.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Just_a_fan wrote: I think all drivers should be allowed to defend their lines and positions. I'd be happy with multiple movements leading up to the corner but once in to the braking zone then no more movements from the guy in front.

This whole "only one movement" rubbish is annoying and detracts from the racing.
Weaving is dangerous. When a driver pulls into the slipstream and a bloke like Hamilton starts weaving, what happens if Hamilton misjudges then clouts the other blokes wing?

1 movement that is it, anything after that and you are asking for trouble IMO
More could have been done.
David Purley

volarchico
volarchico

How can a bloke in FRONT misjudge anything? If the bloke in front wants to weave (going slower and traveling over greater distance), then the bloke behind can choose to follow to try to keep the tow, or just GO STRAIGHT.

However, if it truly is all that dangerous (and I'm no expert), then the "one-move" rule doesn't bother me all that much...I just can't agree with your logic/example.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Volarchico

Imagine you follow and gain tow, you will be traveling at a great deal knots quicker than the man infront. Factor in DRS, and the speed is amplified.
Now the man in front begins his weave, moving once, at which point the car behind closes. Whats to say on the second weave the guy behind has not closed the gap sufficently for the move to be deemed a block?
If he can see the man has a tow and begins weaving to break the tow, that in effect can lead to an accident and was why that very manouvre was reprimanded last year.
Logical.

It basically means the guy in front can drive off the race line and back on however many times he chooses to prevent someone passing. That is BS.
Last edited by JohnsonsEvilTwin on 13 Apr 2011, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
David Purley

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote: I think all drivers should be allowed to defend their lines and positions. I'd be happy with multiple movements leading up to the corner but once in to the braking zone then no more movements from the guy in front.

Weaving is dangerous. When a driver pulls into the slipstream and a bloke like Hamilton starts weaving, what happens if Hamilton misjudges then clouts the other blokes wing?

1 movement that is it, anything after that and you are asking for trouble IMO
It's the guy behind's responsibility to make the pass safe. He doesn't have to pass only 2 feet to the side of the guy in front. He can sweep out to the other side of the track if he wants. Oh, but then he'd be on the marbles - well yes, he would but that's his problem not the lead driver's problem.

There was nothing dangerous in Hamilton's moves last year and nothing dangerous this year.

If we're so worried about the safety of overtaking (and I'm not, by the way) then why not sinmply make the rule that the lead driver shall not deviate at all. Nice and safe then. After all, we wouldn't want to ask for trouble...

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Volarchico

It basically means the guy in front can drive off the race line and back on however many times he chooses to prevent someone passing. That is BS.
That is precisely what happens at the start. Witness Vettel in Sepang.

If it's alright for cars to weave on the charge to the first corner (when they'll be closer together than at any time in the race) why isn't it ok for 2 cars to do the same thing on an otherwise empty track? Now that's BS!

If we're going to have arbitrary rules like these then let's apply them from lights to flag, not just at some points when it suits the stewards, Charlie or some driver/team looking for an advantage.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

JAF

So Villenuve was to blame for Schumachers incident?

Or Hill in the Adelaide 94 finale?

No its both drivers responsibilty to make the pass safe. And weaving is a failure of that responsibilty IMO.

As for Vettels weave, I saw nothing like someone attempting to overtake him and he weaved to break airflow. The rule allows 1 movement, if he broke that then the stewards failed.
We need to be careful not to put the start of GP and jockeying for postion 5 or 6 cars abreast as the same as 1 car attempting an overtake on another and the guy spazzing out by moving to and fro.
David Purley

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: As for Vettels weave, I saw nothing like someone attempting to overtake him and he weaved to break airflow.
Hamilton was all over him. He moved every time Hamilton did. Weaving is weaving - doesn't matter if it's trying to "break airflow" (whatever that is) or any other reason.
The rule allows 1 movement, if he broke that then the stewards failed.
He moved more than once and thus broke the rule. Lots of drivers did it, both at the start and throughout the race. Only one lost points because of it though...
We need to be careful not to put the start of GP and jockeying for postion 5 or 6 cars abreast as the same as 1 car attempting an overtake on another and the guy spazzing out by moving to and fro.
No we don't - the rules are quite clear and make no exception for the start of the race.

You have stated that 1 movement is enough or it's going to be dangerous. The most dangerous period in the race is the first lap and the run to the first corner is when the cars are at their closest. Weaving here is more dangerous than at any other time but you think it's ok? Well, excuse me for not following the logic there...

PlatinumZealot

WilliamsF1 wrote:Image

Having seen this image it is clear that the track is way too wide. This made for an unreal start for Nike Heidfeld and others

Should FIA now revise their regulations for track design
I like wide tracks for exactly that reason. Multiple ways to get ahead.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏