Fussells Radio Control F1 car

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
fussell

Fussells Radio Control F1 car

Hi All,

Here are a few pics of my latest project I've been working on. It's 1/10th car, made from modelboard, fibreglass and filler! The blue and white car is an older car I made when the front and rear wing regs changed, I was reluctant to change!

The unfinished car will be based on 2012 spec except the diffuser, and I aim for a lot better quality and higher detailing.

The car is electric and runs on Lipo batteries.

Enjoy

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Re: Fussells Radio Control F1 car

Very impressive! Are they fully functional?

flynfrog

what are you using for tires?

fussell

Yep fully functioning, left/right, forwards reverse and the electrics do something trick with the motor to simulate braking. I think it reverses the polarity?

The wheels and tyres are from the Tamiya F201 RC car, as is the front uprights, and the gears.

Thanks for interest

fussell

Hi all

Just an update, added the rear wing. Needs a bit of finishing.

flynfrog

that is really cool I have the Tamiya id didn't know you could get slicks

EAKMotorsports
EAKMotorsports

great job.
*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·` * EAK

fussell

I've designed the front wing, so just need to make it now. Which is going to take a while!

flynfrog

you should show some of your process pictures

waynes
waynes

fussell wrote:I've designed the front wing, so just need to make it now. Which is going to take a while!

[img]http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/3271 ... 12.jpg[img]
bit of advice mate,

do not try to make that wing, this is speaking from experience trying to make a front wing for an F1 RC car.

because of the relatively low speeds, the wing is purely aesthetic. the grip comes from the tyres. maybe look at an aggresive suspension geometry.

also (and i'm assuming its electric) you'd need to run a seriously stiff rear shock to keep the car "level" and avoid acceleration plant pointing the front wing upwards giving you less downforce.

like i said, i'd avoid the intricate wing as you wont get much from it apart from a parc ferme award.

oh, and i'll try and find the pictures of my efforts (using carbon fibre) it wasnt pretty, and it certanly caused more problems

for the record, i used the Mclaren Mp4/8 front wing as a starting base, and built winglets off the inside of the endplates. vibration was a big problem

if you need any further info pm me

hope you have better results than i did :D
Last edited by Richard on 21 Feb 2012, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted image from post above

flynfrog

waynes wrote:
fussell wrote:I've designed the front wing, so just need to make it now. Which is going to take a while!

[img]http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/3271 ... 12.jpg[img]
bit of advice mate,

do not try to make that wing, this is speaking from experience trying to make a front wing for an F1 RC car.

because of the relatively low speeds, the wing is purely aesthetic. the grip comes from the tyres. maybe look at an aggresive suspension geometry.

also (and i'm assuming its electric) you'd need to run a seriously stiff rear shock to keep the car "level" and avoid acceleration plant pointing the front wing upwards giving you less downforce.

like i said, i'd avoid the intricate wing as you wont get much from it apart from a parc ferme award.

oh, and i'll try and find the pictures of my efforts (using carbon fibre) it wasnt pretty, and it certanly caused more problems

for the record, i used the Mclaren Mp4/8 front wing as a starting base, and built winglets off the inside of the endplates. vibration was a big problem

if you need any further info pm me

hope you have better results than i did :D
i dont think hes aiming to race it mate. Go for the wing and post how you do it.
Last edited by Richard on 21 Feb 2012, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted image from post above

fussell

Hi waynes,

I would love to see your pics of your carbon fibre wing! I've dabbled with cf but I think on this scale it's a bit tricky. The engine cover is fibreglass tissue.

As with suspension, there isn't any. A few reasons it'll add weight to the car, I think it'll be quite hard to package, and personally I'm more into performance through aerodynamics.

From my experience with my previous cars the front wing has made a difference with the handling and balance. So flynfrog I'll be going with your advice and making the wing.

The rear wing is a piece of dowel with a thin piece of plastic glued along the length, with filler fill-ing the void making the aero profile. I can't find any development photos but add photos as the project develops.

fussell

Hi all,

The garage has been a bit cold recently to work on the car, so i've been indoors, but playing around with ideas for the livery.

What to you think? Yes it's a copy of the HRT, but given that the last on was blue and white, I think maybe this could be the next step.

machin

Looks cool, and this is a cool project... must say however I agree with Waynes; if you really want to produce the fastest possible R/c car then copying full scale F1 wings isn't the way forward; its all in scale factors, as a 1/4 scale car will actually only have 1/16th the wing area (and hence only 16th of the downforce all else being equal....) a 1/10 scale car will only have 1% of the wing area...!!!! that's why you see the really quick R/c cars with wings that are way out of proportion compared to a full size car...

On the otherhand as a project to build a realistic looking F1 car that actually moves, this is cool.... watching with interest. =D>
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

flynfrog

On this scale it would be pretty tough to build. Im lazy Id find some place to Rapid prototype it. Maybe you could form the base shape out of paper then cover it with some epoxy mixed with micro balloons. sand it finish it wipe a resin coat to seal it up then paint.