A paperboard AUDI R18 TDI

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
mechyeng
mechyeng

Re: A paperboard AUDI R18 TDI

hey do you build these from scratch ? are you looking at any diagram or stuff like that ? its incredible !!!

mechyeng
mechyeng

:shock: :shock: :D :D i just cant get enough of this i am so amazed and just i cant even explain how awesome this is....the talent that you have is STUNNING !!!!!!!!!!! so excited to see more of your projects in the future !! keep them coming !!

kosioBG

yes, he does build them from scratch, he does look at lots of photos, and yes, they ARE really amazing :D

PaulB

Hi folks!

The last days I spent a bit of time with preparing the monocoque and the underbody for fitting together. Additionally I manufactured the rear panels with rear lights. Also the first prototypes of a few side pod parts are in work.

Rear panels with rear lights.

Rear view of the monocoque fitted to the underbody.

Here can you see the first two prototypes of the side pod parts.

Side view

Cooling inlet prototoype.

Audi ultra
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

PaulB

Hi folks,

Here’s another small update on the rear wing manufacturing of the Audi R18. There’s not really much to say about. The regulations dictates a maximum height of the wing of 965mm above the reference plane. The wing itself must be “framed in a volume measuring 250mm horizontally x 150mm vertically x 1600mm transversally” (citation of the ACO TECHNICAL REGULATIONS 2011 PROTOTYPE “LM”P1 – “LM”P2; Page 14). And of course the Audi Sport Team fully exploit these regulations. Additionally a 20mm gurney is mandatory. There are also static load tests for wing, gurney and central wing- support which I won’t explicate.

The endplates must fit into a rectangle of 765mm x 300mm with a minimum area of 1000mm² and a minimum thickness of constantly 10mm and 5mm radiuses at the edges. The maximum height of the EP is same as max. height of the car which is 1030mm above the reference plane.

My rear wing height is not within the regulations. The endplates top edge is about 104mm above the reference plane. I designed the central wing support in a way, that he presses down the wing a bit to get the wing within the regulations.

Rear wing end plates. TDI – Turbocharged Diesel Injection

Rear wing is waiting for finishing with a clear lacquer.

Rear wing mounted on the car by the two side pylons.

The red stripes on the rear wing are the mandatory rear lights.

Rear wing with AUDI logo.

Measuring the end plate height. It was a bit of a shock when I saw this. Meanwhile I’m working that exactly, that such a mistake takes me wonder. At the Red Bull RB7 there was only 1mm mistake in full length (491mm)! Here is it 1mm in 103mm.

Central rear wing support. At the inside, there’s missing a bit of CF structure. But the greater area at the inside will be covered by a heat shield anyway. (The exhaust leads through the triangle upper part.)

Pre mounted rear wing support.

Very attractive rear end. Wow! :)

That's it for the mo.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

PaulB

Hi folks!

For given reasons, namely finishing the Audi’s rear wing, I’ll do a little comparison between modern (2011) F1 (Red Bull RB7) and LM (Audi R18 TDI) rear wings.

In generally you can say, that F1 is much more (very much more) regulated than Le Mans cars. Only if we take a look on the tech regulations, you can see the enormous difference. On the one hand the F1 tech regs with 74 pages and on the other hand the LM tech regs with 52 pages each with English and French text. So in reality we have the F1 regs with 74 pages and the LM regs with 26 pages!

Also the notation is quite different. In the F1 regs you won’t find the word rear wing or end plate. There you can interpret the “bodywork behind the rear wheel centre line” (Article 3.10) or “width behind the rear wheel centre line” (Article 3.5) against the LM regulations where you can literally read the regs for “Rear wing” (Article 3.6.3) in point “3.6 – Aerodynamic devices”.
saca

Rear view of the two cars (Red Bull RB7 and Audi R18 TDI). Even here you can see the enormous difference between the dimensions of these two wings. The Red Bulls wing is in Monza configuration, the Audis wing is in Le Mans configuration. So, both cars drive with very low downforce.

Here’s a nine pic to compare these two wing types visibly.

The wings projected area viewed from above is about 245.000mm² for the RB7 and 240.000mm² for the R18 TDI. You can see, even if the F1 wing has not half the width of the LM wing, they have both about the same surface.

Current F1 rear wing elements are quite similar to LM wing elements. A few more small details, but not really different. The cross section of the wing elements is a bit thinner and not that much like a standard wing section like it is at LM cars.

Even a LM car is 80mm higher than a F1 car, the rear wings are allowed to be at almost the same height. 950mm at F1 cars and 965mm at LM cars (although Audi does not exploit the full height).

At the end plates, you can see a really big difference. Where the LM end plates are really only there for closing the wing, the F1 end plates have great aerodynamical influence on the cars rear end. I’m no aerodynamicist and I won’t strike out trying to explain this circumstance, but I think it’s clearly visible, that the EP’s function is not only there to closing off the wing.

That's it, thanks for watching,

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

aleks_ader

Good work!Attention on details is astonishing!

If you dont mine i just have 3 Qs about yours projects!

Are you going to be able disassemble model after you finished the model? And also i have a question about detail work. How you replicate decals like carbon fibre, "silver" rods of brake cylinders , heat isolation of exhaust? THX! :wink:
Measuring the end plate height. It was a bit of a shock when I saw this. Meanwhile I’ working that exactly, that such a mistake takes me wonder. At the Red Bull RB7 there was only 1mm mistake in full length (491mm)! Here is it 1mm in 103mm.
Yes Tolerances are totally "nightmare" for every engineer. ON every individual part you make tiny errors like for example -0.03 + 0.04 etc. And there is a catch more parts you have, chances to make a failure just increase. And for that pretty small size paperwork model is you accuracy pretty good if we considered how difficult is property glued and drayed each part. You most have really issues how property "hard" clamp parts together?

You maybe bond bigger parts together with use of "wood glue mixture" rest with "superglue"? Why i asking that? Because i was thinking that maybe you have problem after drying that parts witch could deform a bit. That could be a reason for higher for the higher tolerance deviations.

Anyway =D>
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

PaulB

aleksandergreat wrote:Good work!Attention on details is astonishing!

If you dont mine i just have 3 Qs about yours projects!

Are you going to be able disassemble model after you finished the model? And also i have a question about detail work. How you replicate decals like carbon fibre, "silver" rods of brake cylinders , heat isolation of exhaust? THX! :wink:
Measuring the end plate height. It was a bit of a shock when I saw this. Meanwhile I’ working that exactly, that such a mistake takes me wonder. At the Red Bull RB7 there was only 1mm mistake in full length (491mm)! Here is it 1mm in 103mm.
Yes Tolerances are totally "nightmare" for every engineer. ON every individual part you make tiny errors like for example -0.03 + 0.04 etc. And there is a catch more parts you have, chances to make a failure just increase. And for that pretty small size paperwork model is you accuracy pretty good if we considered how difficult is property glued and drayed each part. You most have really issues how property "hard" clamp parts together?

You maybe bond bigger parts together with use of "wood glue mixture" rest with "superglue"? Why i asking that? Because i was thinking that maybe you have problem after drying that parts witch could deform a bit. That could be a reason for higher for the higher tolerance deviations.

Anyway =D>
Hi,

yeah, of course this car is going to be dismountable. It would be a pitty if not. ;)

The carbon fibre texture: Google for carbon fibre texture or something alike, scale it down, fill a sheet (word) with the scaled texture pic and print it out. Quite an easy process.

The silver brake master cylinder rods are a paper roll, wrapped with Aluminium foil (gleam side outside) and finished.

The exhaust heat shield is also Aluminium foil with the beamless side on top.

At the Red Bull, I was able to manufacture almost every part with a tolerance of +/-0.3mm. I always measure the parts after manufacturing before fitting to the car. But there was a small construction fail at the lower rear wing mountings. So, that's the reason for this (small) abberation. With deformation of the parts due to the glue I've no problem. I know, that my glue decreases volume when drying, but I can obviate this in the manufacturing process.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

Shrieker

If Paul had lived 2000 years ago in ancient Greece, he'd still be known and acknowledged today for his sculptures as one of the most famous sculptors ever ! :)

I've seen that you've started the Lotus project, but I'd have loved to see the finished version of the AUDI.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

PaulB

Shrieker wrote:If Paul had lived 2000 years ago in ancient Greece, he'd still be known and acknowledged today for his sculptures as one of the most famous sculptors ever ! :)

I've seen that you've started the Lotus project, but I'd have loved to see the finished version of the AUDI.
I guess I'll finish the Audi after the Lotus...

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL