Go kart project

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
flash

Go kart project

I am just going to start working on how to design a go kart.As there is a go kart champion ship organised by my university .And i am planing to take part in that . this world is new to me i am only a 2nd year mechanichal engineering student .. :P please help !!!!! :mrgreen:

N12ck

Re: Go kart project

Hi, been involved in karting for a very long time, whether it be mechanicing or driving.

There is a problem with designing your own chassis is that the chassis has to flex, so you need to base your design off an existing one. Look at a companies called JKH, Interpid, Tonykart, Jade, etc, and take a look at the chassis design and work from that.

The engine is on the right, and the tubing is normally 30mm or 32mm in diameter :)

Any other help I can give just PM me, or reply in this thread :D
Budding F1 Engineer

mx_tifoso

Flash, why don't you specify what you need help with? Being so vague won't help you with what you actually need.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

N12ck

mx_tifoso wrote:Flash, why don't you specify what you need help with? Being so vague won't help you with what you actually need.
yeah that would be helpful, I own a kart at the moment, and I can give information on designs if needed and how they affect the kart, also it depends on the power of the engine to the design of the chassis
Budding F1 Engineer

Jersey Tom

Well, you're probably going to need a seat.

That one's free.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

flash

N12ck wrote:Hi, been involved in karting for a very long time, whether it be mechanicing or driving.

There is a problem with designing your own chassis is that the chassis has to flex, so you need to base your design off an existing one. Look at a companies called JKH, Interpid, Tonykart, Jade, etc, and take a look at the chassis design and work from that.

The engine is on the right, and the tubing is normally 30mm or 32mm in diameter :)

I have just registered for that . authority still have to provide us rule book . and we going to use dds solid works for designing chassis , i have searched some websites and found this one intresting http://www.spidercarts.com/blackwidow-g ... plans.html acc to you wat tyre size should i use .or any particular brand. and thanks for the help bro .. :)

flash

mx_tifoso wrote:Flash, why don't you specify what you need help with? Being so vague won't help you with what you actually need.
sure as told by officials there will b an impact test on go kart lap time , the best design award , and at last the race ..
we have to perform in all departments .. so its my first time and i dnt have a huge budget to do so .. so also want to cut cost

flash

Jersey Tom wrote:Well, you're probably going to need a seat.

That one's free.
thnks for advice .. one more thng acc to you wich engine should we use for it any particular one .. available for cheap price

flash

thnks for your replies .your assistance is valuable . we hvnt started yet but main hurdles will come when we start making that kart . right now we r working on its design . probably by all ur assistnce i ll cross these hurdles easily

N12ck

flash wrote:
N12ck wrote:Hi, been involved in karting for a very long time, whether it be mechanicing or driving.

I have just registered for that . authority still have to provide us rule book . and we going to use dds solid works for designing chassis , i have searched some websites and found this one intresting http://www.spidercarts.com/blackwidow-g ... plans.html acc to you wat tyre size should i use .or any particular brand. and thanks for the help bro .. :)
Hi if tyre choice is free, it depends on the speed of the kart, if your looking at about 75mph top speed I would be looking at Rotax MOJO tyres, if your looking up to 90mph then look at KZ1/KZ2 tyres, tyre size, well they are fixed generally, and all senior tyres will fit the rims for senior karts

that kart design isnt a very good one, it wont go very fast :lol:

this is the kind of design you need to look at:

or this one:
Budding F1 Engineer

olefud

N12ck wrote:
flash wrote:

http://www.spellfame.co.uk/acatalog/sp1bareframe.jpg
or this one: http://www.kart-mall.com/shop/image/cac ... 00x500.JPG
I know nothing. But this interests me in that I helped build a Kart and raced in the first Purdue Grand Prix (quite) awhile back. Out of curiosity, is the necked frame portion under the driver’s legs to provide torsional flex as a pseudo rear differential?
Last edited by Steven on 11 Aug 2012, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Disabled quoted images

autogyro

Could be, does help the steering go to full lock though.

Kambu

The Chassis is designed, so that the inner rear wheel would lift in corners.
I have also been involved in Kart Racing for several years, and went on to race Formula Renault later on.
When I was taking part of the Rotax Euro Challenge, I was racing for the Energy Kart team, the owner of the Kart Factory told me about the chinese copying their designs, but still being 4 seconds slower per lap due to wrong tubing selection.
Also great care must be applied for the welds. When welding, you should weld from one side of the tube, then from the opposite and so on, similar to torqueing cooling head bolts on an engine. Otherwise the weld can develop cracks due to stress.
It was very common problem for Intrepid Karts when they first started making them. When racing with intrepid, I went through 5 chassis per year, due to cracks developing where the front axle would attach.

olefud

If you’ll be racing against other undergrad-designed karts, you may be better advised to keep it simple. Steering geometry is probable worth some effort to get right and is discussed in many primer books –or probable on Google.

Tube welding generally calls for a stitch weld with the most weld in the stressed areas. If in doubt, a stitch weld and an additional full fillet braze will provide excellent strength.

krisfx

I have a full University karting society at my disposal if you need help.

Guys ranging from mechanics to kart stars drivers who've tested in formula ford...

I can literally find anything out, we're testing next wednesday actually xD