Blindblom F1 Khamsin virtual racecar challenge

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Markus

Blindblom F1 Khamsin virtual racecar challenge

Hello
First of all I want to state that I´m a complete noob in designing in sketchup and this is just a start.

And if anyone know how to get the picture to appear in the post please tell me.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 02 Nov 2012, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed image. simply use the actual url for the pic itself (view image if on ff)

astracrazy

Re: Blindblom F1 Khamsin virtual racecar challenge

i can only guess when you upload the image to whatever you are using you select the size then. Because that is the size of the image, it isn't being made smaller by this forum

wigglez28

Don't worry Markus, your not the only one! My car is quite boxy aswell.

Markus

A new small update with a proper engine cover and basic rear wing.

astracrazy

your sidepods are far to square. go to ricme's site and scroll down to sneak peak to construction thats how some of us to it. Increments of say 50mm, draw a square, draw the outline/curves within the square for the sidepod, then join the lines up, then delete the guides (basic instructions but you find a way best for you). I could never do the push/pull way, it never worked.

Markus

astracrazy wrote:your sidepods are far to square. go to ricme's site and scroll down to sneak peak to construction thats how some of us to it. Increments of say 50mm, draw a square, draw the outline/curves within the square for the sidepod, then join the lines up, then delete the guides (basic instructions but you find a way best for you). I could never do the push/pull way, it never worked.

Thanks for the tip. Basically my whole car is a box so they fit in when they are so boxy. Joking aside I know they are very boxy but I have until March to find out a way to make the car better.

RicME85

If you are going to use my technique you will want the Skin.rb plugin to skin over the 'ribs' of the sidepod

astracrazy

what i do is make the boxes for the regs hidden to keep them separate. Then just view hidden to check im in the guidelines.

ye the Skin.rb plugin will save you time. Plus the fillet plug in for curves. In fact there are a lot of plugins that can help you. There is/was a topic a few pages back about plugins used

+ i take it your just working on one side? then mirroring for your images?

Markus

astracrazy wrote:what i do is make the boxes for the regs hidden to keep them separate. Then just view hidden to check im in the guidelines.

ye the Skin.rb plugin will save you time. Plus the fillet plug in for curves. In fact there are a lot of plugins that can help you. There is/was a topic a few pages back about plugins used

+ i take it your just working on one side? then mirroring for your images?
I didn´t even know that you could hide the boxes.
And yes I only work on one side and then mirror it for the pictures.

RicME85

A top top tip is to create 'components' as these can be moved and modified without effecting neighbouring faces

Markus

RicME85 wrote:A top top tip is to create 'components' as these can be moved and modified without effecting neighbouring faces
You guys are way too helpful.

Markus

Some new updates. If you see any legal problems please tell me.

Monster_Energy_F1

Looks okay for a first time :) Way better than my first go. A couple of things:
1) Aren't those Exhausts illegal?
2) The winglets/elements you've started to make on the front wing seem out of proportion.
3) Your main plane lacks thickness.

Regards,

Dom

Markus

That´s what I thought about the exhausts, and the frontwing I did in an hour just to get the car ready for the Monaco race so that´s the reason for that. Thanks´s for letting me know.

RicME85

Got the basic shape there, over time you need to refine it by adding round edges to surfaces and creating proper aerofoils.
Your sidepods look very short but this could be rectified during the 'rounding out' process.
Send me a pm some time with you want some help learning the software, i highly recommend watching some youtube videos too.

Good luck!