F1 Turbo cars model(s)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
MadMatt

F1 Turbo cars model(s)

Well, following JMGV196's thread, I thought why not trying too ! Since I'm on holiday at the moment, I have some spare time to have fun with CATIA V5. I won't make full details models because it is VERY time consuming and there are already 3DSmax models which are just unbelievable compared to what I'm doing but that's just "for fun". I don't plan to copy existing cars, but I will use them as inspiration of course.

Maybe I will also try to run some CFD on them if I have time (I'm a MSc student, so not a lot of free time as you can imagine) and I know it won't be accurate because the model is not perfect and so on, but it doesn't matter. Just take this as a recreational topic where I will just express some concept and design ideas from a certain F1 era.

I plan to focus on F1 turbo cars. Why ? Because their design could be simple or complicated, and sometime both at the same time. Let me explain : it was the time when the teams tried many different solutions, either for cooling (sidepods, engine cover, ducts, etc.), engine construction (turbo or not turbo), and so on. So it is an interesting time for design ideas and honestly the cars looked great.

This first message will regroup the models when they are finished. Obviously, as I just started, this message at the moment will contain the current car in its current state. So here is the first one, not finished, but you get the idea !

Hope you'll enjoy, and if I have more time, why not trying to get more serious in these models ! What do you think ?

:)

WhiteBlue

Re: F1 Turbo cars model(s)

I guess the snorkels are for the air intake. I'm not sure they are legal. A bodywork expert would have to look at it. I suspect that the side pots will look different with all the plumbing and the inter coolers. I reckon the the hump in the middle will be wider and there may not be a straight line going down from the highest point towards the back of the car. The low nose looks fine to me. The diffusor looks kind of too high but what do I know.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

MadMatt

Thanks for the input ! Yes, the air scopes are for the turbochargers. I cannot find dimensions of the original intercoolers and radiators but I will draw them from pictures I have of real ones. During the making of this model, the dimensions were 95% correct already. They were off by few centimeters (width, wheelbase, length) so I'm quite confident I can make something realistic there.

But I agree that the hump behind the driver might be too small. I will get dimensions of a V6 twin-turbo from that time and a 4cyl turbo and see, but I might end with a 4cyl. We will see. I have added some kind of "track" and I nearly completed the rear suspension :

MadMatt

Before I tackle the front suspension, another quick update of the current state of the car, after the front suspension I will have to do the driver, the dash, steering system, small details and it should be finished after that ! I do not know how many hours I spent on that little project but when finished it should be around 100 I think.

If I had already dimensions and plans for it, it would have saved me time, but I don't mind. I will post close pictures of the upright assembly as soon as I finish details !

atul2512

Hey nice model.. =D>
Even I want to build it..currently pursuing mech engg (3rd year).
However how to get the specification(most accurate) of each and ever part .I googled it but couldnot find anything.
Please Help

MadMatt

Thanks for the comment !

Well, I have no dimension, I model everything by looking at some pictures and with common sense, except the wheels (and I'm not even sure they are 100% correct, but that's all I've got) :

- front wheel : rim is 12" wide by 13" diameter, tire is 12" wide and 25" diameter
- rear wheel : rim is 15" wide by 13" diameter, tire is 15" wide and 26" diameter

I've been struggling with the front end, but hopefully I will have time (and motivation :oops: ) to finish it by the next week. On the other hand I've corrected some minor defaults and modified a bit the dash section which is still not finished, but at least something "new" to post :

MadMatt

I completely forgot that thread. I have finished (pretty much) the model now:

It is simplistic, maybe I will take more time to finish details, but it looks ok for now I think. :)

Daliracing

Nice topic! I tried the same a few month ago but didn't finish it.
here is my car:

PS: i might finish it since i liked the idea of someone doing the same :D

MadMatt

Looks very similar indeed, what software are you using?

Daliracing

MadMatt wrote:Looks very similar indeed, what software are you using?
Solidworks, but this car is made only using solids so it isn't that perfect. Yours look very good!

MadMatt

Mine was also made with solids, no surfacing. I made simple bearings, simple brake calipers with pistons, its not built with tolerences or anything like that (would have taken me months), but it looks alright from the outside! :)

Daliracing

Nice! mine doesn't have those things :D maybe i'll add them. Atm i'm working on a F1 car for 2015.

MadMatt

Daliracing wrote:Nice! mine doesn't have those things :D maybe i'll add them. Atm i'm working on a F1 car for 2015.
You should enter KVRC 2015! :wink:

Daliracing

MadMatt wrote:
Daliracing wrote:Nice! mine doesn't have those things :D maybe i'll add them. Atm i'm working on a F1 car for 2015.
You should enter KVRC 2015! :wink:
Well i tought about that and i did designed a 2014 f1 car which got tested. But i more like f1 and if the challenge was still f1 related i would have entered it this year. The car i'm doing atm is to see how much i improved mij 3D skills and maybe i gonna scale it down and print it.