Car Front Suspension Design

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
zir786

Car Front Suspension Design

Hi
I’m new to this site and thought it would be interesting to get involved as you guys seem to have a great knowledge on this particular subject. :D
I wanted to ask for some help on an engineering project that I am working on at university. It involves designing front suspension for a kit car. The car has a custom-built space frame chassis but uses commercial engine and transmission parts.
For the front suspension, a double wishbone design with a 'coil over' configuration of the spring and shock absorber/damper has been specified. A commercial upright, hub and wheel have been sourced. My job is to design the wishbones, upper pick up point of the spring/damper, the custom spring and also select a suitable adjustable shock absorber.
Now my question is where can I get information on previous designs and basically get a specification for the kit car suspension. I need this information so I can work with it and create a PDS for a new design I intend to make.

These are the sort of questions I need answering from previous designs:
Who makes theses?
What do they cost?
What are the dimensions?

So if you could provide links to sites who deal in this stuff it would be great :)
Thanks

Jersey Tom

Re: Car Front Suspension Design

Previous designs? Who is to say there are any for whatever this specific vehicle is? Or without knowing exactly what it is, how would we know where to even look - i.e. what kind of kit car is it? Why do you need them if you're making something new?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

zir786

Jersey Tom wrote:Previous designs? Who is to say there are any for whatever this specific vehicle is? Or without knowing exactly what it is, how would we know where to even look - i.e. what kind of kit car is it? Why do you need them if you're making something new?
by previous designs i mean the suspension that companies are selling. i need them because its part of my research.
its just a lightweight two seat kit car.

Greg Locock

Suspensions don't really work like that. We start with an idea of what we need the car to do, and then design the suspension to help achieve that. It's not like buying curtains.

Luckily thousands of students have been cast adrift in the sea of chassis design, just like you, so if I were you I'd read up on what the FSAE teams do.

Meanwhile punching double wishbone kit into google leads to all sorts of things, such as this http://dasrestoparts.com.au/mendeola-do ... n-pan.html