Help designing an F1 track...

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
JMGV196
JMGV196

Re: Help designing an F1 track...

Thanks guys! I was also thinking about the pit line exit... About the sky: it's really simple. You just google things like "sunrise sky" or "blue sky", you save the image and add it to your Sketchup model, then in Kerkythea in 'View' you choose 'solid rendering'. Then you go to 'Settings' --> 'Sun and sky' --> 'Next' and in 'Sky type' you choose 'Hemispherical sky'. Then, by clicking the black square, you choose the sky you just saved ;)

Here are some shots of the main stand and the first turns:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Kiril Varbanov

Indeed, good progress, I like CGI renders quite a lot, precious comments from namesake Ciro.

I can offer help by doing a simulation with generic F1 car in order to find an approximate lap time. The data I'd need should look like this:

MadMatt
MadMatt

Have you decided to include elevations at the end?

Alonso Fan

nice render
Last edited by Alonso Fan on 28 May 2013, 21:37, edited 3 times in total.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Alonso Fan

good work!

thanks for the sky tip!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

JMGV196
JMGV196

illario wrote:@designer, listen to Ciro.
I dont agree with your opinion about good tracks(Monza, Silverstone is not flat, Melbourn street track, Hockeinheim - lost in the woods), these are historical tracks, that doesn't mean they are "good racetracks", I'm not arguing taste here, I'm saying that your argument about "good racetracks" and your examples are not that convincing. History gives character to some tracks, and some are just good. Barcelona for example, doesn't it produce boring races - to me under average, yet it's still in the calendar. I honestly don't understand anything about design and i don't know why you are designing a track - school etc, what is your inspiration. Are you doing this just for fun, hobby?! Why such a long track, why such long straight's, whats your philosophy about this track. How relaxed can drivers be driving this track. How intense is it, where would it be, weather. Also, why not use stadium - Colosseum terrain. Why not find a place where at least 20 000 people could just picnic and watch. Why not find natural seats. A place where you can watch more that 50% of the action, it'll be shorter, but much more dynamic. Why not offer something "different", why not?!
Now i'm thinking why does one decide to design a track, and why am i commenting!
I think i'm sharing some negative vibes, im not mean person, i dont dislike when others TRY, I'm just so obsessed with tracks, i always imagined how a "perfect" track would look like. Thats why i'm commenting, and thats why i'm sounding negative, as Fangio said it " you need Passion..."
Naahhh obviously Monza and Silverstone are bad tracks, they obviously haven't been important... If a track is historic, it's because it's good. Not just because they're old... I'm sure no one remembers Circuit Bremgarten or Ain-Diab Circuit, from the 50s... But people do remember Zandvoort or Nordschleife or Zolder, they're also old but they are amazing. Also, Silverstone is 85% flat...

I'm not going to answer the rest. It's just nonsense.

JMGV196
JMGV196

@Kiril Varbanov: I'll post the data soon ;)
@MadMatt: I would really love to, but my computer crashes every time I try to do such big terrains with elevation... sorry...
@Alonso Fan: Thanks a lot!

Alonso Fan

JMGV196 wrote:@Kiril Varbanov: I'll post the data soon ;)
@MadMatt: I would really love to, but my computer crashes every time I try to do such big terrains with elevation... sorry...
@Alonso Fan: Thanks a lot!
no problem :)

just out of interest, how old is your computer?

i have a 2005 HP laptop (pretty old) with windows XP 32 bit. sketchup 8 works fine with large terrains and elevation change, and i also have kerkythea, but it is quite slow at rendering.

is there any way you could fix your computer?

i think we'd all love to see you're proper track with elevation change

oh, and by the way, are you going to add apexes?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

JMGV196
JMGV196

It's not too old... it's a 2010 Mac with a 4GB memory... It crashes or turns really slow when the SKP file is about 100 MB big... this one is almost 40 MB.

I'm sorry, maybe my english is still not so good, but what is an apex? I

Alonso Fan

JMGV196 wrote:It's not too old... it's a 2010 Mac with a 4GB memory... It crashes or turns really slow when the SKP file is about 100 MB big... this one is almost 40 MB.is

I'm sorry, maybe my english is still not so good, but what is an apex? I
its ok

an apex is the red and white strip on the inside and outside of the racing line
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

40MB? wow, that's a pretty big sketchup file. my terrain is about 300KB, but it's still pretty big, i'd say about half the size of your race track. it's fine with elevation change, my computer doesn't slow down or crash.

here's a tip: once in sketchup, press CTRL (control) and A together on your keyboard to select everything. then click on the scale tool and make everything smaller. that will make your file smaller and you may be able to add elevation.

it shouldn't affect the amount of detail that you can add to your model, because you can zoom in a lot in sketchup.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

illario
illario

@JMGV196 Indeed i do apologize for my comment. I've read what i wrote, and, i must say that i am very bad at expressing my thoughts. I just cant write it down nice and easy, i complicate everything and i end up with nothing. Sorry.

illario
illario

@Alonso Fan...i have deleted my comment, i've made a mistake and went totally off topic.

Alonso Fan

illario wrote:@Alonso Fan...i have deleted my comment, i've made a mistake and went totally off topic.
i replied when your comment was on the forum, but it's ok, i accept your apology, i understand what happened.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

JMGV196
JMGV196

Alonso Fan wrote:40MB? wow, that's a pretty big sketchup file. my terrain is about 300KB, but it's still pretty big, i'd say about half the size of your race track. it's fine with elevation change, my computer doesn't slow down or crash.

here's a tip: once in sketchup, press CTRL (control) and A together on your keyboard to select everything. then click on the scale tool and make everything smaller. that will make your file smaller and you may be able to add elevation.

it shouldn't affect the amount of detail that you can add to your model, because you can zoom in a lot in sketchup.
I was also thinking about that, but I really want to make this as perfect as possible, and by scaling it down I wouldn't have the correct measurements. Thanks for the tip, though.

And I'm going to add apexes to the circuit. What colors should I use? The typical red/white ones? or maybe completely white, like Imola's... or maybe even blue/white, like old Silverstone's?