Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2014

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
cdsavage
cdsavage

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2014

Hi guys,

We should move the discussion to the 2015 thread - http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =3&t=19456

We've decided to go with a closed-wheel rulebook. While I agree that there's still some room to move within the current-day F1 rulebook, this is limited to quite fine detail-work and probably rewards those who have a head start with a developed 2014 car. From this perspective we've decided to go with a fresh start with a new rulebook. The general shape of the car is very loosely based on an closed cockpit LMP-style car from the past couple of decades, but the detailed rules are written from scratch and won't bear any resemblance to any of the real-world LMP rulebooks. There will be more freedom than there is in current-day LMP1.
variante wrote:And a suggestion (that you've probably already though of): if you are going to make "simpler" regulations to attract more participants, it would be better to reduce the complexity of each article (=working on "straight forward" and less formal way to communicate how the car must be done) rather than decreasing the number of articles.
This is something we will be aiming for - no longer being tied to the F1 regulations, we are free to write rules which are a bit less rigid. There will be images included for each rule.
CAEdevice wrote:I'm looking for a template OpenFoam file, where wheels, suspensions, helmet and boundary conditions are already set, and the car body and wings can be replaced with our models (with the right file names). Does something like that exist? If not it could be a good idea for next year.
I'll ask Julien about this, but I suspect we will be making some changes to the CFD setup for next year. So the 2014 setup isn't likely to be a reliable guide for 2015.

CAEdevice

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2014

Thanks cdsavage.

Don't worry about the OpenFoam tempalte, since the car type has changed I think that it would not be useful anymore.
I'm quite sorry about the new kind of car, but I'm sure the challange will be as interesting as the last year.

I think that the most important think to know at the moment, would be the CFD solver/environement that will be choosen.