Ferrari by Fussell

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
fussell

Ferrari by Fussell

Hi All,

This is my latest project, following my F1 car (follow signature link). I designed this car, my ultimate Ferrari a few years ago. Now I've decided to bring it to life and make a small model. I first sketched the concept, then CAD it, split it up to CNC machine it in as small amount of parts possible, with as little hand finishing needed. I'll be updating this forum as it progresses. Thanks :)

machin

Re: Ferrari by Fussell

Looks cool... will it be RC?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

fussell

Thanks machin, no this one will be just a static model.
Last edited by fussell on 13 Jan 2014, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

rjsa

What are you using for prototyping?

I have a good basic framework of a F1 body in rhino/tsplines and the other day say a nice sculpture in a Ferrari store, just the sillouette.

I'm thinking of printing my own, dusting my Iwata and getting a new compressor. What RP platform would endure the sanding and painting better?

fussell

Hi Rjsa, I've CNC machined the car from a medium density model board material. As I was only using a single sided milling process, I split the car up into 6 sections.

Holm86

Cool project. Looking forward to follow this :-)

rjsa

fussell wrote:Hi Rjsa, I've CNC machined the car from a medium density model board material. As I was only using a single sided milling process, I split the car up into 6 sections.
Ouch! Nice work.

Shrieker

I like it, it looks dope 8) Love your rc f1 car too !
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

fussell

Hi Guys, here's a quick update on the model. Glued the parts together now flushing and sanding the surfaces ready for a coat of primer.

Daliracing

the car looks amazing! i can't wait till its finished :D

fussell

Hi All, I've flushed the parts together and built up the rear lights with body filler. Sprayed a coat of filler primer to smooth out the surface of the model board material. I've noticed a few blemishes on the surface so added small amounts of filler to these. The rear lights too need a little work. I going to wait a while for the paint to fully cure before sanding again.

Thanks for watching

fussell

Hi All, another coat of filler primer, it's coming together now. The original design had strakes across the rear engine heat outlet, mirroring the sides and Testarossa. I'm going to take them back and fix a piece of mesh in, similar to the later Ferrari style.

Here it is for now

fussell

Hi All, Added two light colour coats, Ferrari red. The surface isn't perfect so going to sand these back and spray again. I can't wait to see what the final setup will look like so tried the wheels in the arches. The wheels are taken from an Enzo kit. I scaled the car down to fit these, and I will be using interior pieces too.

fussell

Hi All, finally happy with the paint finish. I've masked out the 'windscreen' and exhausts, painted them. The windshield has come out really bad. It would have been better if I'd sprayed in. I'm going to sand it back best I can, without damaging the red paint work, then wrap it in black gloss vinyl. Also I've started gluing the side strakes in.

Let me know what you think, good, bad, ugly? Also any tips would be great :)

lkocev

Here he comes, here comes Speed Racer, he's a demon on wheels...

Very Mark 5 looking model there Fus, I like it very much. What do you mean by the windshield looking bad? looks quite nice to me.

You could try a rapid prototyped acrylic piece for the windshield instead, you polish that stuff up to a really nice shine and there nice and transparent. Although you might not be able to get the kind of tint you want though, shapeways has a transparent acrylic that when polished looks somewhat yellow or with a slight beige tint.

I'm imagining that the horizontal fences on the side air dams are going to be added at a later date yeah? Do you think you are going to be able to get that level of detail that you have in your model on CNC machined model board or are you going to use something else?

Again, really nice work, your body surfaces look really nice. Were you using G3 type fillets for intersecting surfaces?