[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Alonso Fan

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

rjsa wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 17:35
Looks nice, I did a wing on caeses an it's running right now.
I'm doing this also with my car. I ran a simulation last night and it seems to be an improvement
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

CAEdevice

Hi, as promised, the first picture shows the airfoils I used during 2016 (the double section one also run in Monaco and Nurburgring 2017).
As you can see, there is not actually a low DF setup, but an "extreme DF" version and a "medium DF" version.

It should not be difficult to import them in your CAD and make an extrusion from the 2D picture :)

The second picture is the first image of my new car, MP005B (actually it is a parametric evolution of the previous MP005A, high nose included, that is a parametric evolution of my first LMPx car, in 2015).
It is partially hidden by the extreme DF car because it will be fully revealed in the next weeks, but in a much nicer way.

Last edited by CAEdevice on 19 Sep 2017, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

CAEdevice

Hi, I was re-installing the workstation and I have found on the BlueCFD website a second version of OpenFOAM 4.x (2016-2 instead 2016-1).
Does anyone know wich are the differences between the two versions?

RicME85

Whilst we are all in a sharing mood, here is an image from one of the simulations I have run ready for tonights submission.

Made a sneaky change to the front of the car you may or may not notice. All will become revealed when the renders are done.

Alonso Fan

RicME85 wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 18:54
Whilst we are all in a sharing mood, here is an image from one of the simulations I have run ready for tonights submission.

https://i.imgur.com/Rp5eJWo.png

Made a sneaky change to the front of the car you may or may not notice. All will become revealed when the renders are done.
your car looks almost a carbon copy of mine from the front :)

have you changed the suspension covers? which means you're a full entrant...
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

CAEdevice

RicME85 wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 18:54
Thanks for sharing. It looks the streamlines are clean, but are you sure about that winglets?

I am wondering wich df/dr ratio the intro car can reach (maybe 5.0-6.0)?

RicME85

I have a vanity panel on the suspension cover front that extends them to cover more of the top side of the front diffuser. Checked with Chris and he said it should be legal.

As for the winglets, they need changing, I haven't had the time to run enough runs to get them working properly, at the moment they are the same as race one looking for as much forward balance as possible. The need changing to alter the flow as the vortex that goes inboard and outboard look a bit wild to me and could do with reigning them in and directing into better positions. I was mostly focusing on the vanity panel and the interaction with the diffuser and cooling plus tyre squirt

Alonso Fan

RicME85 wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 21:03
I have a vanity panel on the suspension cover front that extends them to cover more of the top side of the front diffuser. Checked with Chris and he said it should be legal.

As for the winglets, they need changing, I haven't had the time to run enough runs to get them working properly, at the moment they are the same as race one looking for as much forward balance as possible. The need changing to alter the flow as the vortex that goes inboard and outboard look a bit wild to me and could do with reigning them in and directing into better positions. I was mostly focusing on the vanity panel and the interaction with the diffuser and cooling plus tyre squirt
For your balancing issues perhaps you could do with getting rid of the upper element of your rear wing. Should help with drag too
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

RicME85

I have trimmed out the rear, bother wing and diffuser, the nature of these cars is that front downforce is hard to generate especially without effecting cooling performance

CAEdevice

RicME85 wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 21:28
I have trimmed out the rear, bother wing and diffuser, the nature of these cars is that front downforce is hard to generate especially without effecting cooling performance
I confirm: that is why I used a high nose layout just now. The high nose setup helps with efficiency but it generates a lower front df.

Alonso Fan

i'm gonna have to use my curfew this race
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Ft5fTL

RicME85 wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 21:28
Cooling is the main reason of my 0.8 cl loss on the front end.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

etsmc
etsmc

Well not sure if I got my final submission in before the cut of time but not too hopeful for this race. I think cooling should be up there but again balance is still an issue.
Good luck people.

Just had a look at last years times..... my target this year is a 107s and that would have put me in 4th last year also.

Alonso Fan

The silence in here has been deafening seriously...

Anyway, just submitted my car. I went full on low downforce for this race because it gave me the best result. still only have something which could come 4th last year so not too optimistic

anyway, some nice streamline renders

SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

CAEdevice

@Alonso Fan : I have some concerns about the leading edge region of your front wing. Do you see flow separation from the upper surface?