Ringo F1 design

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
ringo

Re: Ringo F1 design

I promise this weekend!
You guys are making me look slow. :lol:

I got some more crazy ideas in the break though. Really crazy stuff. 8)
Some things that look downright retarded in term of engine life, but it improves the car all over. :mrgreen:
For Sure!!

wesley123
wesley123

ringo wrote:I promise this weekend!

Some things that look downright retarded in term of engine life, but it improves the car all over. :mrgreen:
I hope it has nothing to do with the airbox intake because then we are likely to have similair idea's
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

N12ck

wesley123 wrote:
ringo wrote:I promise this weekend!

I hope it has nothing to do with the airbox intake because then we are likely to have similair idea's
I have a feeling I am thinking along the same lines as both of you :lol:
Budding F1 Engineer

MIKEY_!

me too, oh dear :lol:

ringo

question.

What is the height from the bottom of the front end plates to the reference plane?

Is there a rule for this? Becuase i have my endplates at the reference plane level and it's looking kinda weird.
I don't car for looks and i'll gladly leave them there, but it just looks kinda off.
For Sure!!

PNSD
PNSD

75mm IIRC

ringo

thanks!

end plate in the works:

Very unconventional, but simple. soon to explain it's design.

The wing surfaces will be less interesting, but they will further show why the wing looks like this.

Patented radiator, crazy mad as bernie design in ms paint, tomorrow hopefully.
I usually 3d model after i do the drawings; MS paint gets the ideas in the thread faster.
For Sure!!

ringo

World's first!

Vortex generator on the nose tip. I'm gonna check if it's legal, i think it is, as that area isn't really regulated much

but if it isn't i can turn this into a vortex generator in another shape attached to the pylon anyway. Similar to torro rossos recent nose upgrade; i can't find any pics now.
soon to explain the the reason behind it.

What do i call this, vortex tusk? :lol:
For Sure!!

Tozza Mazza

Love the Vortex Tusk, neat name!

Am I right in thinking the tunnel on the endplate reduces tyre drag, and maybe gives a DF increase too?

Some cool ideas, forgot how tight the engine cover was!

ringo

Well i'm not sure if it will increase wing down force. Maybe it increaes overall downforce?
As i have sacrifice some of the lower element span for the tunnel.

Why i did it though is that in that region in front of the wheel, the underside sees some high pressure because of the wheel. So it's not fully effective.

I figured it would be better to use this area which isn't very effective to push air away from the tyre and to the outside, making the side wash endplate even more effective. The tunnel is also nozzle shaped to accelerat the flow.
This stronger side wash has a knock on effect on the flow to the outisde of the car. This may make the floor more effective and it also can pull air from in front of the wheels. At least i hope so.

The vortex tusk, is there to create a similar effect to the renault r31 floor, but for the underside of the nose.
In early 2010 long before we see all these -barge boards, i was in a heated debate with F1 eng about the Merc nose. I experimented with shielding the nose fully, putting carbon curtains on the sides. This lowered the pressure under the nose. Subsequently teams started the nose sheilding later down in the year but sparingly.

The tusk has the same effect, just without having the physical carbon bargeboads, which may behave differently in a yaw transient.
the vortices will rotate counter clockwise when viewed from the drivers viewed. Not sure if it's good or bad yet.
I'll still put the barge boards on though.

I want to put up the radiator concept today. I don't have time for 3d but i'll do it in paint.
For Sure!!

matt21

Are you designing with the 2011 rules in mind?
Your nose looks a little bit too high to me.

Mr.S
Mr.S

The car is illegal. Nose is way too high.

Shrek
Shrek

I was wondering, could you use the camera winglets as the vortex tusk?
Spencer

Tozza Mazza

Ringo, the nose is too high.

It has a max height of 550mm at a point 1950mm forward of the rear face of the cockpit entry template for 2011.

For 2012, this point is brought forward to the front chassis bulkead (1800mm forward of the rear face of the cockpit entry template).

Your nose looks much higher than this.

ringo

It's a 2011 car.

The 2012 is too ugly when fully exploited and it lacks a blown rear.

I started this car pretty much mid season, so i'll finish it as a 2011 car.

I'm not really interested in the 2012 regs. And it will be easy to change this car to a 2012 car anyway.

Guys keep in mind i'm building by regulations strictly. I wont skirt the rules to make the car look good. Neither am i eyeballing the car parts.
see the regulation lines?
It's perfectly legal design and ready for use by any real F1 team. It's not possible for any thing on it to be illegal as it wont be built in the first place. :wink:
This is the rule:
The maximum height of the survival cell between the lines A-A and B-B is 625mm above the reference
plane.

The minimum height of the survival cell between the lines B-B and C-C is 550mm.
this is the change for 2012:
No part of a cross-section taken at the line A-A may lie more than 550mm above the reference
plane.

The minimum height of the survival cell between the lines B-B and C-C is 550mm.
Article 21 of this year's regs is for 2012.
In red i have the changes. Now you can see that for 2012, the nose has to be flat or slope downward, seeing as though the max height across all sections is 550mm. This is not the case for 2011. The max in 2011 is 625 mm.

Do not watch the wheel height to judge the measurement.
My ride height is set at about 5cmm above ground, so do not use the wheels as reference.
Use the cock pit and the splitter.

The nose is within spec, and it's fully utilizing the regulations in it's shape.
It's tricky to achieve this level of clearance under the driver's legs if you notice, but with a little geometry it can be done.
For Sure!!