2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
catent
catent

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Unless all the tools and methods being utilized by the technical department have suddenly become unreliable/junk (which is almost impossible), there is no reason to expect the upgrade will not be successful and work as intended. The key - at least initially - to maximizing its impact will be nailing the setup. Understandably that may take some time but the work during filming day + in the simulator gives reason for optimism that they can hit the ground running at Imola.

A poster several pages back referred to the altered airflow of the overbite vs. underbite sidepods. With the current underbite, excess air flows over the sidepod and towards the rear wing; with an overbite, the excess air will be more likely to find the beam wing. A couple thoughts on that (if true): a.) I wonder if a less loaded rear-wing, and thus likely a less planted rear, may suit Leclerc a bit more, b.) in that vein, perhaps more energy towards the beam wing in lieu of the rear wing will assist with activating the tires quicker. Of course, this shift in balance will affect how the car is most optimally setup, hence the point earlier that maximizing initial returns will be contingent on getting the setup right.

Xyz22
Xyz22

catent wrote:
15 May 2024, 21:05
Unless all the tools and methods being utilized by the technical department have suddenly become unreliable/junk (which is almost impossible), there is no reason to expect the upgrade will not be successful and work as intended. The key - at least initially - to maximizing its impact will be nailing the setup. Understandably that may take some time but the work during filming day + in the simulator gives reason for optimism that they can hit the ground running at Imola.

A poster several pages back referred to the altered airflow of the overbite vs. underbite sidepods. With the current underbite, excess air flows over the sidepod and towards the rear wing; with an overbite, the excess air will be more likely to find the beam wing. A couple thoughts on that (if true): a.) I wonder if a less loaded rear-wing, and thus likely a less planted rear, may suit Leclerc a bit more, b.) in that vein, perhaps more energy towards the beam wing in lieu of the rear wing will assist with activating the tires quicker. Of course, this shift in balance will affect how the car is most optimally setup, hence the point earlier that maximizing initial returns will be contingent on getting the setup right.
This is why need to wait for the stopwatch.
The average gap to RB will tell us the amount of the improvements, providing the races will be "linear" (no suboptimal strategies, massive traffic of slower cars, etc.).

Moreover, we'll see if they made improvement over one lap performance as well.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

catent wrote:

Ferrari have a history of designing some pretty great, solid cars to start the season and then failing to develop them well over the season.

We are simply gonna have to see. There's reasons to be optimistic for sure, but there'd also be nothing especially bizarre if the upgrade doesn't propel us forward.

catent
catent

Seanspeed wrote:
15 May 2024, 22:51
catent wrote:

Ferrari have a history of designing some pretty great, solid cars to start the season and then failing to develop them well over the season.

We are simply gonna have to see. There's reasons to be optimistic for sure, but there'd also be nothing especially bizarre if the upgrade doesn't propel us forward.
Under prior technical leadership, sure. Cardile and the technical direction since Vasseur has assumed control is an entirely different story.

I should’ve amended my original post to say “unless all the tools and methods being utilized *over the past 8-12 months* by the current* technical department have suddenly become unreliable/junk (which is almost impossible)”

Vanja #66

Seanspeed wrote:
15 May 2024, 22:51
That was pretty much a feature of Sanchez' leadership in concept and aero, when we look at things objectively. SF-16 was left as is fairly early in 2016, but all the cars before kept the development momentum high. Especially F2012. Come 2017 and Sanchez as chief aero guy, we get development slumps almost every year. Come 2023 and Diego Tondi taking over aero - a spectacular improvement by making 2 steps back and taking 3-4 steps forward in another direction within 8-9 months.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

Vanja why do you think Ferrari didn't make significant changes to the front wing despite changing a lot in the middle and rear areas of the car?

chrisc90

JPBD1990 wrote:
16 May 2024, 13:14

Is this actually a credible explanation? I saw people discussing this detail after the images from Fiorano…

“A small crack has appeared on the SF-24 EVO to accelerate the flows towards the rear

A modification that "plays" with the boundary layer on the body of the SF-24 to improve aerodynamic efficiency”
Was such detail used prior to a filming day at Fiorano?

yooogurt

chrisc90 wrote:
16 May 2024, 13:34
Was such detail used prior to a filming day at Fiorano?
i think yes, you can see it in the center here
FORZA FERRARI!

jambuka
jambuka

https://x.com/ferrarif1fra/status/17911 ... 87402?s=46

Either Charles is bluffing or the real numbers are not 3/4 tenths as reported.

bluechris

jambuka wrote:
16 May 2024, 16:40

Let's wait and see. My hopes are that in Ferrari they bought the Toto's book and they can be for the next 10 years the underdogs that they take the championship with hard work and innovation and blah blah blah (put anything here :) )
Last edited by bluechris on 16 May 2024, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

CjC
CjC

jambuka wrote:

What does he say? I translated it but it didn’t make sense
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

Newey isn’t ready for retiring….

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/newey ... /10611541/

dialtone
dialtone

CjC wrote:
jambuka wrote:

Didn’t really say much.

Imola not the best track for updates. They couldn’t test big stuff in Fiorano. Some numbers he saw online were too big. We’re focused on incremental updates and doing our work little by little.

Nothing shocking and fairly downplaying everything.

CjC
CjC

dialtone wrote:
16 May 2024, 17:05
CjC wrote:
jambuka wrote:

Didn’t really say much.

Imola not the best track for updates. They couldn’t test big stuff in Fiorano. Some numbers he saw online were too big. We’re focused on incremental updates and doing our work little by little.

Nothing shocking and fairly downplaying everything.
Thanks

‘Too big’ was translated to ‘important’ in my translation. Obviously that doesn’t make sense

deadhead

CjC wrote:
16 May 2024, 17:03
jambuka wrote:

"I don't know yet exactly what the real result of this package will be, but I hope it will be good. So far we have mainly tested it in the simulator, on different tracks. It is obvious that It's a step forward, I've seen numbers on the internet that are much higher than what they are, so we also need to keep our feet on the ground and continue to move little by little in the right direction."