2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
daren_p
daren_p

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

proteus wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
RedNEO wrote:
So glad to have discovered a comment like this amongst all the cry babies. Honestly the car looks fantastic. I'm just hoping it will be quick [-o<
I'm glad I'm not alone. I really like the livery. Sure they can make sharper lines with the black, white and orange but at least they listened to the fans. I think the racing overalls are the best of this century at least. Even the aero detailing looks superb to me.. It's all about what Honda has delivered on first look. Do they have an engine to challenge Mercedes?
Sadly Hasegawa stated that the engine is not jet where the Mercedes was last year in terms of hp output.
He said they are hoping for the first race to be around where Mercedes left off at the end of the last season, to me this is a positive, not a negative. Lots of people with unrealistic expectations, development takes time. Honda does appear to be out developing the leaders, which is all you can hope for. Their goal seems to be ~ par with Merc by the end of this season, which if they can achieve, I feel is rather impressive giving their lack of total development time & actual running.

As for the livery, as said I don't really care one way or the other. People cried about the old one, then when they try & do what the fans are crying about, they still cry. None of the actual team liverys look as good as some of the posted concepts online, so what? I didn't mind the new one when I first saw it (& at the same time didn't mind when they changed to the previous version either). Now that I had another look, the new one is already starting to grow on me, the link below shows some interesting comparison shots:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/02/24/c ... ars-model/

You can see the design actually incorporates the MCL swooshs on both the sides & the top of the car, I think the design is actually kind of neat when you see how its all tied together.

Edit: & I assume the light grey/white portion on the sidepods is to replicate the door indents on most of their road cars?
Last edited by daren_p on 24 Feb 2017, 22:35, edited 3 times in total.

ollandos
ollandos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syscSmpdzqc

http://prntscr.com/ecyyd7

on pc game the livery look better ....ok its not same...but very close .....

proteus

daren_p wrote:
proteus wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
I'm glad I'm not alone. I really like the livery. Sure they can make sharper lines with the black, white and orange but at least they listened to the fans. I think the racing overalls are the best of this century at least. Even the aero detailing looks superb to me.. It's all about what Honda has delivered on first look. Do they have an engine to challenge Mercedes?
Sadly Hasegawa stated that the engine is not jet where the Mercedes was last year in terms of hp output.
He said they are hoping for the first race to be around where Mercedes left off at the end of the last season, to me this is a positive, not a negative. Lots of people with unrealistic expectations, development takes time. Honda does appear to be out developing the leaders, which is all you can hope for. Their goal seems to be ~ par with Merc by the end of this season, which if they can achieve, I feel is rather impressive giving their lack of total development time & actual running.

As for the livery, as said I don't really care one way or the other. People cried about the old one, then when they try & do what the fans are crying about, they still cry. None of the actual team liverys look as good as some of the posted concepts online, so what? I didn't mind the new one when I first saw it (& at the same time didn't mind when they changed to the previous version either). Now that I had another look, the new one is already starting to grow on me, the link below shows some interesting comparison shots:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/02/24/c ... ars-model/

You can see the design actually incorporates the MCL swooshs on both the sides & the top of the car, I think the design is actually kind of neat when you see how its all tied together.
Totally agree.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Adam_Birem
Adam_Birem

PABLOEING wrote:All the teams doing filming days....and McLaren no.And the monday.....the tipical problems
Is this official? They are really not doing a filming day? I don't see why they wouldn't, that's really worrying.

The_table

Is it me or is that an alarming lack of sponsors on the car?
(And i admit, the first thing i taught when seeing the livery was "marussia" but hey to each his own...)

AMG.Tzan

All this talk about Mclaren's livery and no title sponsor has a point! Take a look at Mercedes and Red Bull...they are the new generation of teams let's say...they recruit people from everywhere and there is a better hierarchy inside the team! These teams are perfect to the very last bit...no livery dramas no title sponsor dramas no leadership dramas no design dramas...even their cars are engineered not only to be fast but also elegant!! And then take a look at Ferrari and Mclaren...all kind of dramas in there...first of all they wanted everything in-house...both Honda and Mclaren used this philosophy and Ferrari still uses this today it seems (thankfully no italian drivers)! From Todt to Domenicali to Mattiaci to Arrivabene they've changed 4 chiefs in the last 10 years! They even had some livery problems with how much white they should put on their car!! They recruited James Allison and that was the time i said...ok now maybe Mercedes will be challenged...and after not even a year he left the team and joined Mercedes! And Ferrari fans around me say to me..."hahaahah your cars are going to be awful...look at our 2016 car designed by Allison"! You get the idea that even Ferrari fans can't get on with it!! My point here is that these two big teams (Ferrari and Mclaren) should change their approach or otherwise they have no chance!!
Although i wasn't impressed by Mclaren today (both their aero and livery didn't feature Mercedes's perfection), i get the feeling with Ron Dennis out they are on the right path in getting near the top...because getting TO the top would take even more perfection both from Mclaren and Honda!
Sorry for the long post!! :)
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Dextercitox
Dextercitox

I like the orange option, and the combo with black and white are perfect, talking about color only.

But, I'm one of those who think that the new livery it's very awful ( note because the colors ), looks like a low-budget GP2 team. Lines are quite old fashioned, no style, the few sponsors are quite bad placed ( the Honda sticker on the shark fin ? OMG... ).

Look at the Sauber, much better lines, metallics colors, good color balance ... The Renault more of the same, balanced and agressive, the Merc elegant and dynamic with the flowing lines in greens and blues over the metallic grey ...

Like someones says, looks like an old Spyker, Marussia ... If you google a little bit, you'll see much better liveries made by fans ...

I hope that the time they saved designing the livery has been spent in aero-development.... :lol:

Xero

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but isn't the design based off the McLaren tick/blade motif? Look's obvious once you see it, but perhaps my point is proof the design doesn't work very well. I don't mind it, slowly growing on me more each time I see it.

PhillipM
PhillipM

It is, but understanding the reason behind it doesn't make it any more cohesive. It's a mess.

GPR-A duplicate2

If you get the combination of Orange and black right, this is how things look.

And you when you get it horribly wrong, this is what happens.....

wunderkind
wunderkind

The livery just doesn't do it for me. It's either too Arrows, Marussia, or Halloween.

geogate
geogate

Xero wrote:Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but isn't the design based off the McLaren tick/blade motif? Look's obvious once you see it, but perhaps my point is proof the design doesn't work very well. I don't mind it, slowly growing on me more each time I see it.
yeah i noticed the tick (*ticks - you notice more the more you look).
First reveal it looked horrible because of the lighting making it look too red. It does grow on you. It's not beautiful, but it's really not as bad as people saying. It clearly is "designed" - making a livery look pretty isnt the be all and end all. The livery is functional design - which is precisely what the brand is all about

Redragon

Maybe is has more grey areas on future. Mclaren has changed delivery on mid season on the past. Having on black all the sides and back is a way to hide anything unusual or tricks as it is more difficult to see or analyze

RedNEO

Schuttelberg wrote:
RedNEO wrote:
Moose wrote:Man, you guys really like to whine about McLaren's livery, don't you.

EVERY... SINGLE... YEAR...

"Wha wha wha, McLaren's livery sucks, why don't they use orange"

They do it, and you guys are all like

"Wha wha wha, it's not the exact arrangement of orange I'd like"

Get over it. The car looks great.
So glad to have discovered a comment like this amongst all the cry babies. Honestly the car looks fantastic. I'm just hoping it will be quick [-o<
+1 and I think the car will look even better on track. If Honda can get within 20bhp of the 2017 Mercedes engine we are in for a show. I think its possible dependant on how big the step Mercedes made was and if everything goes to plan for Honda in testing. Bring on Monday I say.

snoopy86
snoopy86

It will be beautifull when it's fast. Now it is only Marussia. Let's see what it realy is in Barcelona.