Scuderia Ferrari 2012

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Re: Scuderia Ferrari 2012

Fry only joined in 2010. Doubt he will go.

Tombazis's job seems to be the least stable. However, it would make little sense to sack him now whilst he is in the middle of the design process for 2013. Normally, these kind of sackings would happen in the Spring, when they realise the car can not compete for the championship.

PABLOEING
PABLOEING

Re: Ferrari F2012

I only want that Pat Fry,Tombazis,Loic Bigois and David Sanchez do a decent car for Fernando......because the best driver only need the second car more faster to win the WDC in September.......not in the last race.

.poz
.poz

Ferrari have fought for the championship until last race, something very hard to believe after pre season tests and early races, so i think that they had done they homework.

And without Spa and Suzuka crushes .....

infy
infy

stefan_ wrote:Heads need to roll down from Maranello and I don't think it should be Fry.
As Ferrari supporters we need to support them, not cut them down and demand people are fired. Besides... you could say that Ferrari are in this position because they have in the past fired some of their best people.

Ra8
Ra8

bhallg2k wrote: If someone had told me after Australia that Ferrari would finish the season with its lead driver three points away from the World Championship, I would have wondered how someone of such slight intelligence figured out the Internet enough to make such an irrational claim. Given the myriad problems faced by the team - tire wear, pitch sensitivity, low-speed traction, top speed, etc. - and the fact that its design tools are obviously compromised, the Scuderia's record of achievement this year has been nothing short of astonishing.
Nothing short of astonishing was Alonsos drive through the year. Ferraris development was good at best.
So all regards for 2nd in constructors and drivers championship go down to him; at least much more than to team.

PABLOEING
PABLOEING

amouzouris

Ra8 wrote:
bhallg2k wrote: If someone had told me after Australia that Ferrari would finish the season with its lead driver three points away from the World Championship, I would have wondered how someone of such slight intelligence figured out the Internet enough to make such an irrational claim. Given the myriad problems faced by the team - tire wear, pitch sensitivity, low-speed traction, top speed, etc. - and the fact that its design tools are obviously compromised, the Scuderia's record of achievement this year has been nothing short of astonishing.
Nothing short of astonishing was Alonsos drive through the year. Ferraris development was good at best.
So all regards for 2nd in constructors and drivers championship go down to him; at least much more than to team.
i absolutely disagree with you..good at best? ...excuse me but they managed to get a car that was 2-2.5 seconds off the pace in pre-season testing, to just 1.5-1.8 seconds in the first 4 races...and the about 0.5 seconds more or less for the rest of the season...the performance deficit hey covered was MASSIVE...and this was while others were developing as well WHILE using an old inaccurate wind-tunnel...so i would say it is much more than 'good at best'

I know that what i have written sounds like fan-boy talk...but I am sure there are others that agree with me...

skgoa
skgoa

Montezemolo needs to be fired. Or at least have the F1 team taken out of his control. The amount of damage he has done over the last decades is staggering and his frequent pulblic outbursts of idiocy are only eclipsed by Helmut Marko.
Nut other than that, there is not much firing anyone would achieve. They are having trouble corelating wind tunnel and cfd data with ontrack behaviour. I don't see how anyone in the upper echelons of the team can be expected to pull a solution to that out of his hat.

elFranZ

stefan_ wrote:Heads need to roll down from Maranello and I don't think it should be Fry.
I really don't think heads will roll in the immediate future. I suspect it's not even a matter of men, and the Chief Designer Market has closed, if I'm not wrong :)

GTO

For years, I haven't seen Massa drive like he did yesterday & the last few races. :o What woke him up from his hibernation? :?: If he had a few more podiums & taken points away from Vettel, Alonso might have won!

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Stefano Domenicali confirmed today they the Maranello wind tunnel is indeed closed to be fixed properly. I assume the will use the TMG tunnel for the 2013 car much like they used the TMG tunnel at the end of the season for the F2012.

infy
infy

skgoa wrote:Montezemolo needs to be fired. Or at least have the F1 team taken out of his control. The amount of damage he has done over the last decades is staggering and his frequent pulblic outbursts of idiocy are only eclipsed by Helmut Marko.
Nut other than that, there is not much firing anyone would achieve. They are having trouble corelating wind tunnel and cfd data with ontrack behaviour. I don't see how anyone in the upper echelons of the team can be expected to pull a solution to that out of his hat.
I dont think he runs the F1 team, Stephino runs it . AFAIK Montezemolo is the top boss at Ferrari.. cant fire the top boss :P

Kiril Varbanov

Even if they fire Tombazis, Domenicali (which they won't) they are still not going to get good chief designer, which is what they need, apart from the Airbus hired consultants that will baseline, fix and re-test the tunnel.

As I mentioned in previous posts, the team need someone with fresh brain to think outside of the box and produce winning solutions which are better than the rivals and are hard to copy. If they want to win. If they are searching for excuse, as I said, the wind tunnel cannot be a problem - there are multitude of facilities around Europe, especially in UK: MIRA, London Imperial College, ARA, Cranfield, etc.

Next we have Germany and especially Cologne, where the Toyota facility is - the city itself is a major cross point for aerospace industries, and there are lot of options over there.

astralx
astralx

bhall
bhall

Ra8 wrote:Nothing short of astonishing was Alonsos drive through the year. Ferraris development was good at best.
I know it's easy to look at Alonso's drives this year, contrast them with Ferrari's apparent lack of development, and then chalk the whole season up to epic heroism on his part. It just doesn't work that way, though.

One could design a driver automaton and program it with the absolute ideal course, down to the millimeter, for any given circuit under all possible conditions and against any foe. But, if that automaton is not installed in a car that's capable of winning in its own right, a half-assed driver in a genuinely great car will beat it every time. A car can never be pushed to exceed its capabilities. (Well, OK, so it can. But, that's called "crashing." ;) )

What Alonso did this year was make the most out of a good, but very difficult, car. Its window of optimum performance seemed to be about as wide as a strand or two of human hair. And somehow, some way, he managed to keep the car within that window most of the time. It was --- brilliant, too. The man "qualified" on every lap, all season long. But, we can't discount the efforts of the team that contributed to those results.

The F2012 was quick under many conditions, and it was reliable under all conditions. In the old days, a driver couldn't ask for more. That's why we never heard so much as a word of complaint from Alonso about the team.

Throughout the year, Ferrari was able to more or less keep up the pace to its rivals and expand the car's driveability in the process. That's why Massa's performance blossomed toward the end of the year and reminded us all that he's not the sack of marbles his results over the last couple of years would seem to indicate.

And this all happened despite a "wind tunnel" - I'm using that as a catch-all phrase here - that's as accurate as a drunken beer fart and is certainly as worthless. I mean, can you believe we almost beat Adrian Newey's Red Bull Technology machine with a car that began the season no better than 6th or 7th quickest? That's unreal.

If the team can get its "wind tunnel" issues sorted over the winter, and that's admittedly a big "if," next season is going to be a whole helluva lot of fun for the tifosi.