Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dans79

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2014

I want to know more about the internal memo. if it's even close to true, the sh*t storm that will befall them is just getting started!
197 104 103 7

SilverArrow10

SectorOne wrote:Rather interesting thing Peter is saying about the board, not sure what to make of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EQBry3Fuy8
I've been waiting since Sunday for that video. Love to here Peter Windsor's opinions on issues. I hadn't considered the whole Mercedes supporting Rosberg line in till now I just thought it was silly but now I am, even if is just the suits in Stuttgart
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Gettingonabit
Gettingonabit

dans79 wrote:I want to know more about the internal memo.............
Me too, although I really don't want to believe it.

Gaz.
Gaz.

dans79 wrote:I want to know more about the internal memo. if it's even close to true, the sh*t storm that will befall them is just getting started!
If it is true, why even hire Hamilton in the first place? They could have trousered the $60m and had Hulkenberg in the car for little more than food & lodgings.
Forza Jules

SectorOne

Hamilton is great for the F1 team, Rosberg for the Mercedes brand perhaps?
I think Peter is genuine, the question is if his source is.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Gettingonabit
Gettingonabit

Gaz. wrote:
dans79 wrote:I want to know more about the internal memo. if it's even close to true, the sh*t storm that will befall them is just getting started!
If it is true, why even hire Hamilton in the first place?.............
To edge their bets in case Rosberg under-performed!

SilverArrow10

Gaz. wrote:
If it is true, why even hire Hamilton in the first place? They could have trousered the $60m and had Hulkenberg in the car for little more than food & lodgings.
If they had known the car would be so dominant they would have kept Schumacher and let the German hero win another one, keep fighting. They didn't so they hired one of the big four at the time in 2012. Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso and Kimi. Hamilton was out of contract, expecting them to help the team fight the others to wdc.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

mrluke
mrluke

Its fairly obvious that at some point Mercedes will have reviewed what their likely return on investment is if Hamilton wins vs if Rosberg wins.

Waywardism
Waywardism

mrluke wrote:Its fairly obvious that at some point Mercedes will have reviewed what their likely return on investment is if Hamilton wins vs if Rosberg wins.
Surely recent events will impact that. Nico has taken a big hit in popularity and I'm sure that will have a direct effect on Mercedes' return with him taking the championship.

Hail22

SectorOne wrote:Rather interesting thing Peter is saying about the board, not sure what to make of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EQBry3Fuy8

All we need now is Peter Windsor to join the F1 Technical forums...or perhaps he's already here in incognito? 8)
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

CHT
CHT

I will take what Peter Windsor said with a pinch of salt unless he have seen the internal memo himself.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

One thing that the whole Les Combes incident shows is that Rosberg is feeling the pressure - Hamilton has got him flustered. All of the earlier mind games appear to have worked; Rosberg feels the need to prove himself to Hamilton. He's taken his eye off of the goal, the title, and is focussing on the little stuff, the individual corner battles.

Rosberg has forgotten that he can afford to finish second a couple of times so long as he finishes first a couple of times. And the odds are that he will do so.

Rosberg is fortunate that he came out with a 18 point bonus from Spa. He could just as easily have ended up with no points whilst his team mate took 25.

Rosberg is in danger of winning a single, tainted, title. He is better that that.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CHT
CHT

Just_a_fan wrote:One thing that the whole Les Combes incident shows is that Rosberg is feeling the pressure - Hamilton has got him flustered. All of the earlier mind games appear to have worked; Rosberg feels the need to prove himself to Hamilton. He's taken his eye off of the goal, the title, and is focussing on the little stuff, the individual corner battles.

Rosberg has forgotten that he can afford to finish second a couple of times so long as he finishes first a couple of times. And the odds are that he will do so.

Rosberg is fortunate that he came out with a 18 point bonus from Spa. He could just as easily have ended up with no points whilst his team mate took 25.

Rosberg is in danger of winning a single, tainted, title. He is better that that.
Rosberg will get over this very quickly. He can certainly look back and see how many past F1 greats have actually drive into their teammates so there is no need to feel "special" about it.

Plus, its only Nico who know if he did what people saying he did, so if he see it as a racing incident, there i no need to feel sorry. What he will do however is to make sure he drive well in the remaining races and beat LH fair and square. Even then, LH fans will still see it as tainted F1 WDC, but to NR, it really doesnt matter. Having 1 "tainted" WDC will still be better than no WDC.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

The team admitted that he didn't do it by accident following the post-race debrief. There is no doubt that it was, at the very least, a clumsy attempt to be forceful. It's not about fans of one driver or another believing things. The team have confirmed that what Hamilton said after the debrief was broadly correct. No driver/fan bias required.

As I said, he didn't need to do it - he is performing well enough without such silly games. He just needs to keep doing what he has been doing before Spa and the title will come (mechanical issues aside).

As you say, I'm sure Rosberg won't care at the end of the season, any more than Prost, Senna or Schumacher did back in the day.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CHT
CHT

Just_a_fan wrote:The team admitted that he didn't do it by accident following the post-race debrief. There is no doubt that it was, at the very least, a clumsy attempt to be forceful. It's not about fans of one driver or another believing things. The team have confirmed that what Hamilton said after the debrief was broadly correct. No driver/fan bias required.

As I said, he didn't need to do it - he is performing well enough without such silly games. He just needs to keep doing what he has been doing before Spa and the title will come (mechanical issues aside).

As you say, I'm sure Rosberg won't care at the end of the season, any more than Prost, Senna or Schumacher did back in the day.
If NR does win the championship, it might actually spell the end for LH career with Merc. And his instability within Merc might just play into the hands of Mclaren who could easily make him the No.1 driver along side another rookie. Perhaps that's the long term driver plan mclaren was considering and waiting to happen, and selling British/Mclaren/Honda/Senna dreams to LH might just do the trick.