Caterham F1 team 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Caterham F1 team 2014

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/andre ... oming-days

Apparently Andre Lotterer in Kobayashi's Caterham for Spa.

I don't know how much the rumors are true, but it's certainly interesting. Lotterer isn't the guy I think of when we are talking about an F1 seat and seeing his success in the WEC it's a bit of a downgrade.

Could this be a way to lure VW AG's interest? To me seems like the only actual reason to get Lotterer; his VW AG link.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

The other link is he has raced for Kolles' private audi team, so maybe Kolles just likes him better than Kamui for some reason.

Petroltorque
Petroltorque

Caterham don't have the luxury of concentrating on next year. They did that in 2013 and were found out. As a small team you can't predict the performance gain of the leading teams so you have to concentrate on present time performance. On the balance of probabilities Caterham will not exist next year unless they finish in the top 10.
One advantage they have is the Renault PU is better than the the Unit that Maranello has foistered on their customers. So finding chassis performance could pay dividends, literally.
As for a VW F1 program, that is clutching at straws.

FW17

Finally an experienced driver from another series coming to F1, a welcome change in trend after seeing many young guys from lower feeder series.

Kiril Varbanov

From Adam Cooper's blog:
Audi WEC star Andre Lotterer is set to make his F1 debut at Spa this week in the Caterham usually driven by Kamui Kobayashi.

The team will probably make an announcement tomorrow pending official confirmation of his FIA Superlicence, after documentation was delayed in transit.

The initial deal will be for one race, and it remains to be seen whether it is extended, or what Kobayashi’s future with the team will be.

The opportunity comes some 14 years after Lotterer first tested a works Jaguar R1 as a teenager, and as such he will presumably set a record for the longest gap between testing and racing an F1 car.

Lotterer has been given dispensation by his TOM’S team to miss this weekend’s Super Formula race in Japan.

It’s understood that there is no sponsorship attached to the German, and his role is to provide extra feedback. He has strong connections with Caterham advisor Colin Kolles, for whom he drove in LMP1. Lotterer’s close pal James Rossiter, who also has Kolles connections, has also been in the Caterham frame.

mikeerfol

Richard
Richard

I guess Mike Gascoyne's comment confirms the separation between Caterham Group and the F1 team.
https://twitter.com/MikeGascoyne/status ... 5631300609

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

yikes. I guess that means the name will change next season, assuming they don't go under.

Raleigh
Raleigh

Caterham plans to bring a sizable upgrade package to Spa, including the new nose.

http://www.espn.co.uk/caterham/motorspo ... 71457.html

FW17

As per Joe Saward, Lotterer is in the car as Caterham's new management is not sure of the feedback provided by KK, and KK's questionable ability in mixed wet/dry conditions.
Surprising KK was not fired after Monaco when he was caught napping by JB

KK's rain skills............ :lol:

iotar__

WilliamsF1 wrote:As per Joe Saward, Lotterer is in the car as Caterham's new management is not sure of the feedback provided by KK, and KK's questionable ability in mixed wet/dry conditions.
Surprising KK was not fired after Monaco when he was caught napping by JB

KK's rain skills............ :lol:
http://thedrivenblog.files.wordpress.co ... =640&h=400
It makes no sense at all, especially mixed conditions part. Why would Lotterer's feedback be better? He didn't drive this or any F1 car at all, no simulator, nothing. What are his reference points when it comes to set up 2014 car? Lol yourself, I can find a picture like that for every F1 driver including all your favourites. It's another blindly sold by media fake reality.

FoxHound

WilliamsF1 wrote:Surprising KK was not fired after Monaco when he was caught napping by JB
Ohh yes, you mean when Bianchi clouted him out the way around La Rascasse?
Let me be the first to say, if you think this warrants sacking....be prepared for Robo-Racing. Bianchi hit the guy's car from the the rear 3/4's damaging Kobayashi's steed in the process.
Here is a video to testify to that, 29 seconds in...

As for Lotterer, well why bring a German chap in for a German manager whom they both share a 3rd party German friend on the basis of Feedback?
It's a mystery to me.

Fare thee well, Kamui, you've entertained me a fair few times lad. Let's hope Lotterer's "feedback" doesn't "biteback".
JET set

AnthonyG

I will never forget Kamui's podium in Japan, the whole crowd shouting his name, insane. :)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Moxie
Moxie

It is possible tha Kobayashi needs to miss the race for some reason; serious illness or death in the family? I would think that this is a pretty rude action by Caterham considering that he drives for free, but perhaps there is a not so rude reason. Any info?

FW17

FoxHound wrote: Ohh yes, you mean when Bianchi clouted him out the way around La Rascasse?
Let me be the first to say, if you think this warrants sacking....be prepared for Robo-Racing. Bianchi hit the guy's car from the the rear 3/4's damaging Kobayashi's steed in the process.
Here is a video to testify to that, 29 seconds in...

Not sure if you or KK have heard stories of Monaco where it is impossible to overtake. Coulthard's Mclaren was 4 seconds faster than the arrows yet Bernoldi kept him behind while KK could not keep a slower Marussia behind
McLaren boss Ron Dennis has slammed the Arrows team and their driver Enrique Bernoldi following the Monaco Grand Prix, where the Brazilian held David Coulthard behind him for half the race as the Scot tried to recover from the lost ground after stalling on the grid.

Coulthard, who had been on pole, stalled at the start of the warm-up lap for the second time in three races due to a problem with the electronic 'launch control' software and had to begin the race from the rear of the field. The setback wrecked the Scot's hopes of taking the lead in the championship.

Coulthard clawed his way back to fifth, for two vital points, but he and his team were furious with Brazilian Bernoldi for holding the title contender up for half the race as they fought for 15th place. While they were scrapping, on the 27th of 78 laps, race winner Michael Schumacher lapped his main title rival.

Coulthard's team boss Ron Dennis spoke to the Brazilian afterwards, blasting Bernoldi for what he saw as unsporting behaviour. The Arrows driver said he was obeying team instructions.

"I told him I felt his behaviour was unsporting and not reflective of the attitude a young developing driver should be putting into his career," said Dennis.

"If that team is so desperate for television that it has to resort to those strategies then I somewhat question the behaviour of the team as a whole."