Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

Interesting article:

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns31562.html

Hope the Japanese sponsors come on board for next year :!: :D

Andres125sx

diffuser wrote:
piast9 wrote:I wish Honda the very best but I don't think that the Hungary figures are representative. It was a strange GP weekend where several teams were rather out of the regular pecking order so its hard do make comparisons based on that.
Lap to lap, there are to many variables in a race. I think we would have needed Alonzo to be able to run in Q2 of quali to be able to see where they stand.

If we're being honest. Button not making it into Q2 and Alonzo Just barely(whatever the reason), doesn't really look good. I was hoping for a fight for Q3.

In my opinion the chassis didn't shine (as Red Bull did in Ricardo's hands). We can come up with all kinds of excuses as to why it didn't shine but if we look at the facts, all we really have is more ???? about the chassis.
Disagree, take a look at lap times during the race. If you only activate Alonso and Button laptimes and then activate different cars one by one to compare, their laptimes are similar to Williams, STR, FI. Only Ferrari and Mercedes are clearly faster. Comparing to RB it´s odd, I guess they were held in traffic many laps, because a good part of the race their laptimes are the same, but then after a pitstop they suddenly are much faster.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/07/26/f ... e-for-win/

That´s a huge step forward compared to previous races

zeph
zeph

I feel you are being a tad over-optimistic here. Williams was off the pace, but that was expected, as it is reported their primary strengths are the power of the engine and low drag.

When all is said and done, McL/H were still two seconds off the pace on the (second) slowest track of the year.

The results in Hungary flatter their actual performance. Sure, they were overdue for some good luck, but on a normal day you can't expect the Mercs to finish behind Alonso, while Raikkonen and Sainz would have most likely finished ahead as well.

I would be impressed if McLaren can finish the season with the fifth quickest car, behind Merc, Ferrari, Williams, and RBR.
If they manage to beat Williams and RBR before the end of the season, it will be nothing short of a triumph.
Victories, or even beating Ferrari? That would be EPIC.

That said, I still have this feeling that things may look better by Singapore.

Andres125sx

zeph wrote:I feel you are being a tad over-optimistic here. Williams was off the pace, but that was expected, as it is reported their primary strengths are the power of the engine and low drag.
No just analizing perfomance in Hungary. Obviously that´s a track wich do not suit Williams, I know, but even so it´s a good sign.
zeph wrote:When all is said and done, McL/H were still two seconds off the pace on the (second) slowest track of the year.
But then you´re not considering latest upgrades, wich are the interesting part of McH. We all know how slow there were on previous tracks
zeph wrote:I would be impressed if McLaren can finish the season with the fifth quickest car, behind Merc, Ferrari, Williams, and RBR.
I wouldn´t, IMO that should be their target at least. Looking at their perfomance to date it´s becoming a difficult target tough
zeph wrote:If they manage to beat Williams and RBR before the end of the season, it will be nothing short of a triumph.
Agree, wouldn´t bet for that
zeph wrote:That said, I still have this feeling that things may look better by Singapore.
I hope things may look better sooner. Singapore is a track similar to Hungary, where they should do something decent even with current car, depending on what do you consider decent obviously. I hope next PU upgrade really means the huge step forward we all are looking forward to see from the beginning of the season, so they can do it better even of faster tracks.

I hope they use it in Spa, so we can see if it really is a good step forward [-o<

Thunder

Much to come from Honda after the Summer break:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... 1360844370

Arai:
"After the summer shutdown our plan is to apply a new-spec engine using some of our remaining seven tokens.

"Current regulations require high efficiency of the combustion so we want to change the characteristic with the chamber design and intake and exhaust system layout.

"Another issue we will be addressing is reducing mechanical friction by changing the gear-train system along with the combustion.

"We knew it wouldn't be easy, but perhaps we didn't imagine it would be this hard.

"I certainly didn't imagine technology-wise what we would be facing, but I have complete confidence in the direction we have taken with our power unit.

Also Ron Dennis is confident the worst is behind McHonda:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/denni ... -light-up/

And Arai feeling the Pressure: (mostly the same as the Autosport Article)
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/08/h ... r-results/
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bauc

I'm glad they (Honda) admitted that they've underestimated the challenge, but in the same time I'm disappointed by Mclaren for not giving the clear picture to Honda on what needs to be done and on what scale. Having said that, I truly believe that the Honda PU concept has a potential to be a winning one and I'm sure both Honda & Mclaren will give everything to make it happen.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Is it really up to Mclaren, a team with no engine building expertise to advise Honda on exactly what they need to do, especially when you consider how much Honda hate outside influence and refuse to use the ideas of any other manufacturers.

bauc

ChrisF1 wrote:Is it really up to Mclaren, a team with no engine building expertise to advise Honda on exactly what they need to do, especially when you consider how much Honda hate outside influence and refuse to use the ideas of any other manufacturers.
Not really, but they could have given them the right aim
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

ME4ME

Jenson Button gassed during shocking robbery in France

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/jenso ... nce-report
Police believe thieves pumped anesthetic gas into the air conditioning vents of the mansion Button was staying in with a group of friends.
Possessions totaling over $450,000 were stolen, including his wife Jessica Michibata’s engagement ring.
Hope Jenson, Jessica and the others are alright. Pretty shocking news. :?

Thunder

Geez that's scary. Glad no one was harmed.

‘Whilst unharmed, everyone involved is unsurprisingly shaken by the events.’
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sports ... gings.html
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

wickedz50
wickedz50

Thunders wrote:Geez that's scary. Glad no one was harmed.

‘Whilst unharmed, everyone involved is unsurprisingly shaken by the events.’
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sports ... gings.html
This is shocking. Mclaren should provide special security cover to all their star drivers. I just hope Jenson is fit for the Belgium.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Looks like they were just random victims. Apparently this method has been used around the area before.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33814823

The idea that McLaren should provide security is a little excessive to be honest.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

godlameroso

Andres125sx wrote:
zeph wrote:I feel you are being a tad over-optimistic here. Williams was off the pace, but that was expected, as it is reported their primary strengths are the power of the engine and low drag.
No just analizing perfomance in Hungary. Obviously that´s a track wich do not suit Williams, I know, but even so it´s a good sign.
zeph wrote:When all is said and done, McL/H were still two seconds off the pace on the (second) slowest track of the year.
But then you´re not considering latest upgrades, wich are the interesting part of McH. We all know how slow there were on previous tracks
zeph wrote:I would be impressed if McLaren can finish the season with the fifth quickest car, behind Merc, Ferrari, Williams, and RBR.
I wouldn´t, IMO that should be their target at least. Looking at their perfomance to date it´s becoming a difficult target tough
zeph wrote:If they manage to beat Williams and RBR before the end of the season, it will be nothing short of a triumph.
Agree, wouldn´t bet for that
zeph wrote:That said, I still have this feeling that things may look better by Singapore.
I hope things may look better sooner. Singapore is a track similar to Hungary, where they should do something decent even with current car, depending on what do you consider decent obviously. I hope next PU upgrade really means the huge step forward we all are looking forward to see from the beginning of the season, so they can do it better even of faster tracks.

I hope they use it in Spa, so we can see if it really is a good step forward [-o<
You do remember they were back markers at the start of 09, and started winning races towards the end of the season right? Don't count out McLaren's ability to develop a car, also PU development takes a lot longer than chassis development.
Saishū kōnā

lebesset
lebesset

this anaethetic story has been around for decades
however the possibility of nobody ever being killed [ ask any anaesthetist ] or anybody being caught doing it is about zero
it is a hardy annual amongst motorhomers for example
and no residual gas ever detected ?
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

ME4ME

godlameroso wrote:You do remember they were back markers at the start of 09, and started winning races towards the end of the season right? Don't count out McLaren's ability to develop a car, also PU development takes a lot longer than chassis development.
Ah yes, Mclarens ability to develop a car throughout a season. I think Brundle and others said the same when it all started to go wrong for Mclaren a couple of years ago. Now you don't hear them saying that anymore. Guess why.

It is obvious they are going to make progress, spending the money they do.
But Mclaren being particulairy good, that is better then other top teams with simulair budget? No.
Even Williams with half the budget has exeeded them in making progress.

That is not to say that they were never good at development. But based on the last 3 years, they have stuff to prove.