2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Thunders wrote:So apparently Force India will bring no more Updates to the Car this Year. I'm very interested to see if (or when) McLaren can catch them.
I wouldn´t bet for that, specially when you see FI was 3th and 6th on Monaco (very good chasis) and 3th and 9th in Baku (Mercedes PU)

I can´t see any track where McHonda can do it better than FI. I think STR is their only viable target

Lucky
Lucky

mrluke
mrluke

Andres125sx wrote:
Logie wrote:I'm a McL fan, but I take what Eric says with a truck full of salt
Sorry for the OT, but your variation of that common expression made me wonder where did that came from, I mean, the original "take that with a pinch of salt"

Anyone knows?
Superstition. You used to throw a pinch of salt over your shoulder to ward off a demon.

Andres125sx

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:
Thunders wrote:So apparently Force India will bring no more Updates to the Car this Year. I'm very interested to see if (or when) McLaren can catch them.
I wouldn´t bet for that, specially when you see FI was 3th and 6th on Monaco (very good chasis) and 3th and 9th in Baku (Mercedes PU)

I can´t see any track where McHonda can do it better than FI. I think STR is their only viable target
... and they have a better chasis. If they want to beat them they need some serious updates.

diffuser

Andres125sx wrote:

Still, Like Thunder says "It will be interesting to watch".

Singapore, Hungry come to mind.

techman
techman

Any reason for that? The fair comparison is between teams with similar budget, and that´s not the case with Renault and McLaren
do you think renault f1 will beat mclaren honda next season, ? i dont , but still when the compare engine they try to compare redbull as they are the superiror chassis and which is unfair comparison, as we know how much efficient the redbull is . its not secret. anyway this engine arugment will end when all engine will be equalized and the best chassis will stand out next season.

mikeerfol

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/231514/1/h ... v0Oxb0R.99
F1 Austrian Grand Prix: Honda ‘not ready’ to introduce ‘qualifying’ engine

“It is fair to say that we need more power, especially in qualifying, and in Japan we are developing all the time,” he insisted. “We need to wait a little bit of time to introduce that new specification.

“I think still we are struggling to catch up with the Mercedes engine. I can't tell the exact grand prix, but we are trying very hard about that.”

CjC
CjC

techman wrote:
Any reason for that? The fair comparison is between teams with similar budget, and that´s not the case with Renault and McLaren
do you think renault f1 will beat mclaren honda next season, ? i dont , but still when the compare engine they try to compare redbull as they are the superiror chassis and which is unfair comparison, as we know how much efficient the redbull is . its not secret. anyway this engine arugment will end when all engine will be equalized and the best chassis will stand out next season.
I disagree. On the whole the best PU will win the WC again in 2017. The rules are there for engine equalisation but it will take Renault nearly all season to develop to Mercs level- Honda might even be longer.
All I'm saying is don't think all 4 engine manufactures will have 950bhp or what ever they run with, there will be huge differences between the 4 PUs.

The one thing that disappoints me about these PUs and the engine manufacturers is that each PU doesn't has its own strength. For example one has huge BHP but a different PU has superior fuel efficiently. Unfortunately Mercedes aced all the performance variables and credit to them.
Just a fan's point of view

GoranF1
GoranF1

mikeerfol wrote:http://www.crash.net/f1/news/231514/1/h ... v0Oxb0R.99

“It is fair to say that we need more power, especially in qualifying, and in Japan we are developing all the time,” he insisted. “We need to wait a little bit of time to introduce that new specification.

“I think still we are struggling to catch up with the Mercedes engine. I can't tell the exact grand prix, but we are trying very hard about that.”
I already read this article on a another site which also mentioned Q mode.....but in the qoute it self there isnt a single word about Q mode....just more powerfull engine.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

mikeerfol wrote:http://www.crash.net/f1/news/231514/1/h ... v0Oxb0R.99

This just tells me that it's not Spa for the token spend and perhaps not even Silverstone

Andres125sx

techman wrote:
do you think renault f1 will beat mclaren honda next season, ? i dont , but still when the compare engine they try to compare redbull as they are the superiror chassis and which is unfair comparison, as we know how much efficient the redbull is .
Agree, but then you compared with Renault team, wich is equally unfair :wink:

godlameroso

Whatever they're working on this season I'm guessing they want the final update by Suzuka. And you don't have to spend tokens to improve sometimes it takes a little while to get the most from an engine update. There's so many parameters and parts that have to work together that it's almost guaranteed some parts may work better or worse because of an update as small as a new turbo.
Saishū kōnā

Sayeman

"Honda believes its new F1 ERS is on Mercedes' level"
"The energy recovery has already doubled from last year and is achieving at the top level.

"I can't tell if it is better than others, but it's reasonable to say it's a very even area.

"It is incredible we have achieved that in two to three years, where others have taken seven to eight years."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... edes-level
Never Give up.

livinglikethathuh
livinglikethathuh

Okay, they were saying last year that the ICE was on par with Ferrari. Now that they've fixed the ERS, where's the power? Or has McLaren produced such a dog of a car that they can't get results even with a near-best engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk