2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
j2004p
j2004p

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Sonador wrote:I think Vandoorne should be a good fit for Williams, so that Mclaren have experience and harmony for the 2017 campaign.
Once they are competetive,then put Vandoorne in place and put a little fire under Alonso =P~
I hope Mclaren go this way with Vandoorne but a lower team than Williams if they can get him in.

I think new drivers need that year in a lower ranked car, away from the pressure and expectation of a top team to get their racecraft up to the required level.

This was always the preferred option and I can only think of Hamilton in recent memory who has come straight into a top team and been 'on it' from the beginning and even he made a number of silly mistakes in his first year.

mclaren111

I disagree.

I think he should grow / develop with the car and his team of engineers.

Vasconia

mclaren111 wrote:I disagree.

Driving for a small team gives you a bigger picture of what F1 is. Those fights at the back are hard and make a driver stronger and more mature with time. It could be a good way to not forget that life is not as easy as driving a top car.

Adam_Birem
Adam_Birem

Vasconia wrote:

Driving for a small team gives you a bigger picture of what F1 is. Those fights at the back are hard and make a driver stronger and more mature with time. It could be a good way to not forget that life is not as easy as driving a top car.
Yeah like Hamilton need that... :roll:

Sonador
Sonador

Adam_Birem wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

Hamilton had a lot of time in testing to get ready, different era :wink:

But Hamilton is also in a league of his own!

alc59
alc59

j2004p wrote:
Sonador wrote:I think Vandoorne should be a good fit for Williams, so that Mclaren have experience and harmony for the 2017 campaign.
Once they are competetive,then put Vandoorne in place and put a little fire under Alonso =P~
I hope Mclaren go this way with Vandoorne but a lower team than Williams if they can get him in.

I think new drivers need that year in a lower ranked car, away from the pressure and expectation of a top team to get their racecraft up to the required level.

This was always the preferred option and I can only think of Hamilton in recent memory who has come straight into a top team and been 'on it' from the beginning and even he made a number of silly mistakes in his first year.
Many years ago Minardi was the starting point for one or two good guys.

Andres125sx

I personally think in modern era, when drivers start driving at pro level before they get some hair on some parts :P experience is not that crucial. Well, experience is always crucial , but today drivers are very experienced even if they´re only 18 years old.

Of course they will need F1 experience, but it´s very different to past eras when racing was not as profesional as it is today. Images like we´ve seen even if F1 with drivers smoking or drinking in the paddock today are unconceivable even in feeder series. This means when drivers reach F1 they´re much better professionals with much more experience, and that experience is a lot more valuable as feeder series are also a lot more professional so they already have good experience with good teams.

I think that´s the reason we see rookie drivers on top teams, today teams have a lot more confidence on rookie´s skills thanks to this increased profesionalism in any feeder series, so they don´t feel the need to see how they perform on a Minardi/Manor/whatever before providing a top seat

Obviosly any rookie will make some mistakes, but I don´t think they will be more numerous or severe on a top car, only that they get a lot more media attention. If teams think that rookie is good enough to compensate those mistakes he inevitably will commit, he gets a top seat. Hamilton and Vertappen are two obvious examples

Thunder

So it's all Fernando's fault... :D

http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/5740 ... _2_months/

But some nice little insights in that Clip.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Vasconia

Sonador wrote:
Adam_Birem wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
Hamilton had a lot of time in testing to get ready, different era :wink:

But Hamilton is also in a league of his own!
Not at all the great drivers deliver so soon as Hamilton or Max. The are exceptional not only in their talent but also how soon they have been able to show it. Other great drivers need more time, which is the normal situation. Do not judge all the drivers on some expections.

And yes, Hamilton tested like a beast.

j2004p
j2004p

Adam_Birem wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

Perhaps not, but then you could argue that Hamilton got his chance for a 'maturing year' with the below par 2009 Mclaren!

lebesset
lebesset

McLaren would be foolish to part with button for 2017 , first year of a new set of rules it is better to have experienced drivers to develop the car ; give vandorne a year with such a team as manor and then put him alongside alonso
of course , if mercedes had any sense they would hire button for a year prior to putting wehrlein in the seat ....no more rushes of blood to the head by rosberg ...he has been ok while mercedes had such a big advantage but the competition is going to be tougher in 2017 and a driver who cracks under pressure like rosberg is going to be a liability
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Sonador
Sonador

lebesset wrote:McLaren would be foolish to part with button for 2017 , first year of a new set of rules it is better to have experienced drivers to develop the car ; give vandorne a year with such a team as manor and then put him alongside alonso
of course , if mercedes had any sense they would hire button for a year prior to putting wehrlein in the seat ....no more rushes of blood to the head by rosberg ...he has been ok while mercedes had such a big advantage but the competition is going to be tougher in 2017 and a driver who cracks under pressure like rosberg is going to be a liability
Agree with you!

On a sidenote:
In Rosbergs "defence" in wheel to wheel racing with other drivers he is very good.
But when he needs to race against Hamilton he crumbles like a cookie.
A shame, because the championship would be more exciting when he does not crumble under pressuse (aka Hamilton)

techman
techman

would be interesting to see how the mclaren does in hungary . Everyone seem to think it will suit the car, but then again we saw in monaco, the pace was extremely slow.

Goran2812
Goran2812

techman wrote:would be interesting to see how the mclaren does in hungary . Everyone seem to think it will suit the car, but then again we saw in monaco, the pace was extremely slow.
in monaco the pace was slow cuzz they set up the cars wrong and couldn't keep the tires working...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

diffuser

Goran2812 wrote:
techman wrote:would be interesting to see how the mclaren does in hungary . Everyone seem to think it will suit the car, but then again we saw in monaco, the pace was extremely slow.
in monaco the pace was slow cuzz they set up the cars wrong and couldn't keep the tires working...
I'm hoping they had tire issues which they've corrected with brake/duck changes, front wing tweaks and floor mods.