2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Thunder

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

On Fuel consumption / driveability there was an interesting Hasegawa quote by muramasa on the Autosport Forum:
btw on Saturday team report Hasegawa was talking about mapping by explaining "struggling to find best pu modes"
http://www.mclaren.c...rix-qualifying/

in post quali joint interview he was explaining it in detail

-We didnt expect that Hockenheim would be power sensitive this much. Drivers were able to push the pedal more than we anticipated/pre-calculated, therefore engines were using rpm range that's different from the expected/pre-calculated range, which as a result has made driveability bad.
http://f1sokuho.mopi...734&tt=-1&at=30
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Vasconia

Thunders wrote:On Fuel consumption / driveability there was an interesting Hasegawa quote by muramasa on the Autosport Forum:
btw on Saturday team report Hasegawa was talking about mapping by explaining "struggling to find best pu modes"

-We didnt expect that Hockenheim would be power sensitive this much. Drivers were able to push the pedal more than we anticipated/pre-calculated, therefore engines were using rpm range that's different from the expected/pre-calculated range, which as a result has made driveability bad.
It looks like a great mistake from Honda, isnt it??

SameSame
SameSame

Vasconia wrote:
Thunders wrote:On Fuel consumption / driveability there was an interesting Hasegawa quote by muramasa on the Autosport Forum:

It looks like a great mistake from Honda, isnt it??
I think this really shows just how important historical data from a track is.

Thunder

Don't know if i would call it a great mistake. They had very limited Data from 2014 and it seems like that plus the knowing of the Track Layout wasn't enough to set the PU up 100%. There may have very well been some calculation issues aswell, we don't know. But i think the Root of the Problem is lack of Data.
#aerogollum

CjC
CjC

Does he not mean they had more downforce on the car through developments so the drivers could get on the power earlier and have a higher apex speed?
That's how I understand what the quote says.
Just a fan's point of view

DiogoBrand

If some time ago I wasn't convinced that McLaren's chassis was as good as they made it seem, now I'm changing my mind.
At the start of the season the Toro Rossos were easily ahead, and now McLaren is on the verge of passing them on constructors' standings. Of course STR has a frozen engine, but we see Jenson and Fernando racing the Williams' cars wheel to wheel as well. If it's down to chassis or PU development, I don't know, maybe both, but that's not the point.

The point is: for next season, Honda is probably gonna catch up to Mercedes with the end of the token system, because to me Honda is not less capable of designing an engine than any other manufacturer, and since Ferrari seems to be walking backwards, I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to see McLaren as the third best constructor next season, only behind Red Bull, who are probably benefit of the end of the token system as well, and Mercedes, who are definitely not gonna lose all of their competitive edge after the rule changes.

Anything can happen on such a big rule overhaul, Brawn has shown that in 2009, but if I see McLaren finishing third on constructors' next season I won't be too surprised.

lio007

Thunder

Sounds like he signed with Macca, Merc got wind of it and gave him more Money to stay..... So give him even more Money Ron, i'm sure Mr. Serra will change his Opinion again.

Also the People who write McLaren Contracts should up their game. This is literally the same story as with Red Bull's Dan Fallows not too long ago.
#aerogollum

zac510
zac510

CjC wrote: Does he not mean they had more downforce on the car through developments so the drivers could get on the power earlier and have a higher apex speed?
That's how I understand what the quote says.
That's what I thought too , or perhaps the tyres were switched on better/gripper than expected.

Either way, the engine must have a smaller working range than the others.

mclaren111

I'm glad to see McLaren still hunting for good engineers to strengthen the team :D =D> :D

diffuser

DiogoBrand wrote:If some time ago I wasn't convinced that McLaren's chassis was as good as they made it seem, now I'm changing my mind.
At the start of the season the Toro Rossos were easily ahead, and now McLaren is on the verge of passing them on constructors' standings. Of course STR has a frozen engine, but we see Jenson and Fernando racing the Williams' cars wheel to wheel as well. If it's down to chassis or PU development, I don't know, maybe both, but that's not the point.

The point is: for next season, Honda is probably gonna catch up to Mercedes with the end of the token system, because to me Honda is not less capable of designing an engine than any other manufacturer, and since Ferrari seems to be walking backwards, I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to see McLaren as the third best constructor next season, only behind Red Bull, who are probably benefit of the end of the token system as well, and Mercedes, who are definitely not gonna lose all of their competitive edge after the rule changes.

Anything can happen on such a big rule overhaul, Brawn has shown that in 2009, but if I see McLaren finishing third on constructors' next season I won't be too surprised.

Definitely BOTH in my mind.
But a really big =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> to Honda as the token rules make improvement the equivalent of Houdini handcuff escape underwater enclosed in glass.

diffuser

Thunders wrote:Sounds like he signed with Macca, Merc got wind of it and gave him more Money to stay..... So give him even more Money Ron, i'm sure Mr. Serra will change his Opinion again.

Also the People who write McLaren Contracts should up their game. This is literally the same story as with Red Bull's Dan Fallows not too long ago.
Maybe they have and they win this time ????

Alonsofor2017
Alonsofor2017

From what I can see looking at the numbers. McLaren, in one year, have caught up to merc by 3-5 tenths in qualifying and 6-8 tenths in the race ( race pace helped by fixing deployment) at this rate it would take four years to match them, good thing there changing the rules next year

They've caught Ferrari by maybe one or two tenths more, this shows how good mercs developement is even when they're at the top

godlameroso

Maybe the rate of development is not linear but exponential. Last year was all about laying down a foundation, this year has been about developing that foundation, they will push to the end of the year and see how far they can develop the current concept. For all we know it may work and they make the engine even more compact next year, at the very least it's going to occupy a smaller footprint in the larger cars.
Saishū kōnā

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Don't forget about the fact that the focus has been on reliability a lot.