2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Unc1eM0nty

Re: 2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

Stalker1 wrote:I would not be suprised if Mercedes chooses to kick out Hamilton in the end of this season. Especially if Hamilton does not change his lifestyle and attitude. It could be true, that Mercedes does not like the image that Hamilton have created of himself and of the team. Then you have Nico, a german, a proper bloke from the next door. Married, quietly working hard and probably for significantly less salary.

Hamilton seems to have edge in raw speed, but if Rosberg can get the set-up right, he is a fair much for him. They will not lose much, execpt the publicity, if they sack Hamilton and for example take in Wehrlein as a clear second driver.
This makes no sense at all, why are Mercedes in F1 ? ..................... to sell cars !!!!

Who is the most marketable driver ??? Mr "proper bloke from the next door. Married, quietly working hard" blah blah blah

or

The guy who who turns up at fashion shows, back stage concert parties and film premiers, a guy who's pictures are all over social media pictures with rap stars, film stars and with anyone who's anyone.

Bernie said it himself, he's marketing gold dust for F1, and not just that, his image goes beyond F1, people who have never seen a GP know his face, why on earth would Mercedes turn their back on that?

I'm a fan of his driving (I'll leave is fashion sense out of this :wink: ), as for his party life style, well it didn't do him any harm last year did it.

He's had a run of bad luck this year so people are looking for underlying reasons for this, personally i think that's all it is, bad luck.

Stalker1
Stalker1

"They will not lose much, execpt the publicity, if they sack Hamilton and for example take in Wehrlein as a clear second driver" I said in my first post. That was and is my opionion, even if it turns out as a complete garbage and I respect yours.

superdowg316

I get the feeling that this thread is going to be locked soon...

Seriously, why all the hate to both drivers? They're both highly skilled and win races, Senna v Prost fans were never this uncivil and I have never seen a team and driver put out a press release stating to the fans that they need to shut up. Legitimately, why all this animosity?
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

flickerf1
flickerf1

superdowg316 wrote:I get the feeling that this thread is going to be locked soon...

Seriously, why all the hate to both drivers? They're both highly skilled and win races, Senna v Prost fans were never this uncivil and I have never seen a team and driver put out a press release stating to the fans that they need to shut up. Legitimately, why all this animosity?
I don't understand it either. People are so filled with hate for people they don't even know personally. Those types of people are always immature and looking to add their two cents in whenever they can. Constantly bringing up past happenings, ex. Monaco 2014 Quali, and using that incident to call Nico 'Cheatburg' and other unsavory names. But, the one that really gets me frustrated is when they bring up Lewis' lifestyle choices. Like... what does that have to do with his driving at all? Their haters are always trying to make something out of nothing. It's really unnecessary and all it does is cause drama.
The Wicked + The Divine.

superdowg316

flickerf1 wrote:
superdowg316 wrote:I get the feeling that this thread is going to be locked soon...

I don't understand it either. People are so filled with hate for people they don't even know personally. Those types of people are always immature and looking to add their two cents in whenever they can. Constantly bringing up past happenings, ex. Monaco 2014 Quali, and using that incident to call Nico 'Cheatburg' and other unsavory names. But, the one that really gets me frustrated is when they bring up Lewis' lifestyle choices. Like... what does that have to do with his driving at all? Their haters are always trying to make something out of nothing. It's really unnecessary and all it does is cause drama.
Exactly. I don't mind Lewis' lifestyle, he's getting some promotion to F1 by being with rappers and celebrities and as long as he isn't doing something illegal then what does it matter? He's still winning races and championships. NBA players do the same and no one has a problem with it, plus he has brought a great level of exposure by being active on all social media platforms. There is literally nothing he or Nico for that matter have done to level the kind of immature hatred that has come about.

superdowg316

Agenda_Is_Incorrect wrote:
Unc1eM0nty wrote:This makes no sense at all, why are Mercedes in F1 ? ..................... to sell cars !!!!
To whom? Poor teenagers who like rap and gangster sh*t who will turn up to nothing later in life?

Mercedes marketing is completely mistaken and certainly not working outside US. Similar moves, like using rude music in TV commercials, have seen great rejection and eventually the desing lines they took as well only helped to move sales in like 3 to 1 for BMW.
Unc1eM0nty wrote:Who is the most marketable driver ??? Mr "proper bloke from the next door. Married, quietly working hard" blah blah blah
This is a proper man/gentleman sport. No one likes the kind of marketing and futility Hamilton brings, except for people who will not/may have never seen an F1 race.
Unc1eM0nty wrote: or

The guy who who turns up at fashion shows, back stage concert parties and film premiers, a guy who's pictures are all over social media pictures with rap stars, film stars and with anyone who's anyone.

Bernie said it himself, he's marketing gold dust for F1, and not just that, his image goes beyond F1, people who have never seen a GP know his face, why on earth would Mercedes turn their back on that?
Wow, all the things the traditional F1 audience cares about! Like, we don't like Nascar because it's cheesy and frankly made-up and poor/lowly spirited (people win according to surviving to crashes) but we do want to see a man wasting time on agendas such as "hanging with Justin Bieber", rapers and the almighty agenda of "non gender stupid clothes".

Bernie cares about his pockets. The most he can bleed off the dying sport F1 has become, the better.

He knows damn well none of that pleases the audience/is good for the sport (this is no place for vagabonds and futile people, this is the place for Ayrtons and Schumachers and Prosts - real men, real souls) and that all those recent circuits and regulation changes only appeal, like Hamilton's marketing, to his pockets and audiences that will NEVER watch a full F1 season. Or any motorsports.
Unc1eM0nty wrote: I'm a fan of his driving (I'll leave is fashion sense out of this :wink: ), as for his party life style, well it didn't do him any harm last year did it.

He's had a run of bad luck this year so people are looking for underlying reasons for this, personally i think that's all it is, bad luck.
The moment I saw him wearing a purple cap at the grid was the moment I knew he would f*ck up and lose the championship;

Mercedes color is not purple, has never been and never will be. Both the team and this frivolous "man" are playing too much the fakeness card for appearance/marketing and therefore do not deserve to be race winners.

Expect to keep seeing "bad luck" from Hamilton AND MERCEDES shall this continue. You may call it karma, it's only truth coming to surface.

Hamilton crashing on Rosberg was the most anti-climax, anti-spiritual move to disgrace similar happenings between Senna and Prost. At least it was a men's battle, with all theirs defects and egos.

Fells like nothing to see that "modern reenaction" of that battle. Because it is that, nothing, nothing but people freaking out over a marketing binge. Stupidity.
superdowg316 wrote:There is literally nothing he or Nico for that matter have done to level the kind of immature hatred that has come about.
It is the definition of immature to have a crash over futilities. To look like an NBA "star" (what good-willed person wants to look like a thug?).

Let's not forget much of this animosity between Hamilton and Rosberg comes from Hamilton playing the "bad ass rich black that never gives in to nobody" that he has adopted as a consequence of that immature and futile marketing trick.

Since last year he simply can't accept Rosberg winning anything. He wasn't always like that. Never a smart guy, but was more of a sportsman before he became 80% publicity.
I think you are misunderstanding modern Formula One. The era of gentlemen drivers and teams has long passed. Sports nowadays aren't what they used to be, that is for certain especially in motorsports with most series down on television figures due to the switch to pay TV. F1 needs marketing right now, and that comes with personalities.

What Hamilton brings to Mercedes and F1 is a superstar driver personality similar to James Hunt but to fit in the modern day. Mercedes are appealing to the US market, that's why Rossi is still apart of Manor; he's American, racing in America and apart of a team run in conjunction in Mercedes. He spends most of his time there mingling with celebrities and rappers which brings new viewers in because they like how Hamilton interacts on talkshows and it also helps sell cars. F1's problem is that there aren't any real personalities anymore. Currently, Hamilton is the superstar driver, Rosberg is the main rival, Vettel is the noble 4 time champion, Ricciardo is the cheeky down to earth likeable guy, Verstappen is the next big thing, Raikkonen is the guy who doesn't give a damn, Alonso is the fiery never give up driver and Jenson Button is the loveable Brit. Aside from that, most of them are the same "Today was a good race for the team, we worked hard to get where we are and we are looking forward to the next races to hopefully improve", which makes no one stand out unless they come with a name like Verstappen, Schumacher or Newey or they are something super special.

As for Hamilton not liking being beaten by Rosberg, Rosberg hates being beaten by Hamilton as well. That's the nature of race car drivers as a whole. Senna and Prost hated being beaten by each other, Vettel couldn't cope when Webber finished in front of him, we saw Verstappen frustrated in Australia at being behind Sainz, it's just the nature of the game. Every driver when they are racing has to be the most selfish and ruthless person otherwise they get nowhere. That's why guys like Senna, Schumacher, Vettel and Hamilton have won championships and that's why Rosberg has been more aggressive since Lewis won the title in Texas. The sparks are going to fly this season because of that, but there is still no reason to hate either driver unless there is a 100% deliberate decision to take another driver out, which has not happened despite what people say about Monaco and Catalunya.

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

Manoah2u wrote:
GrayGreat wrote:
GPR-A wrote:Yeah man. Perfectly understandable that you are frustrated and jealous of his lifestyle ! You miss having all that. Don't you?

Nico is just a clumsy racer who is in limelight, only because of Mercedes advantage. The day when Mercedes have to work harder to even get to the front row and their drivers get swarmed by others, you can always bet on Nico screwing it up. There are so many videos available from 2010 onwards that clearly proves how bad he is in wheel to wheel racing. Go check.

There is a reason Nico is in F1 right now, and driving for the current best team, and you are not. Stop all this jealousy and hate. Grow up.
because he is a valuable driver but above all makes a great number 2 driver.

Like the Schumacher-Barrichello situation at Ferrari. Yes Barrichello was a above-average driver. Yes it was severely uncalled for and unfair that the team Ferrari screwed him over in every sense possible by demanding he drop his 1st
place to Schumacher. That was unfair, Barrichello deserved that win. Is Barrichello a good driver capable of winning
a GP? yes, very much certainly in that dominant Ferrari. Was Barrichello WDC material? we don't know, point is though,
him winning one or 2 races, of which atleast 1 had to give his place to Schumi, does NOT mean he is even CAPABLE of
beating Schumacher, or even being 'on the same level'. He had an amazing dominant Ferrari to his availabilitly, which
made him have the fortunate luck of being in a championship CAPABLE car.
Mind you, a car, that was as good as it was thanks to the relentless work Schumacher did together with the Ferrari team.
Yes, that included feedback from Rubens, but that does not make Rubens on the same level.

Switchback to Rosberg, he is noting but a Rubens @ Ferrari. Yes he is a very capable driver, like Rubens. Yes, he can give good feedback and adds valuable experience to the team, like Rubens. Yes, he has a championship CAPABLE car to his availability, just like Rubens.

Isn't it funny though, that when Lewis went to Mercedes, they turned into Championship winners? How many years was Rosberg already there? ain't it funny that when Schumacher went to Ferrari, they turned into championship winners?
how much of that capability came from Rubens, and how much came from Schumacher?
how much championship capability came from Rosberg, and how much came from Hamilton?
You think Merc is winning only because of Hamilton? Next level BS. Merc told Hamilton about their 2014 plans and convinced him that they will at the top. Lewis is lucky that Mercedes hired him, not the other way around. But if you want to keep dreaming...

Agenda_Is_Incorrect
Agenda_Is_Incorrect

superdowg316 wrote:I think you are misunderstanding modern Formula One. The era of gentlemen drivers and teams has long passed. Sports nowadays aren't what they used to be, that is for certain especially in motorsports with most series down on television figures due to the switch to pay TV. F1 needs marketing right now, and that comes with personalities.
Do people on pay TV really want to pay to see Hamilton or anyone mingling with celebrities and dressing funky?

I understand your point, but basically there is either classic Formula 1 or there is none. Audience in other sports can be rearranged, but new public (as in, different public) is hardly brought to F1 and the traditional one couldn't care less about all that. In fact it repels us.

Formula 1 is bound to the gentleman/sportsman/extreme human character development to an extent that THIS is the whole sport.

I don't think it can be changed and Bernie knows it. It's no wonder there are maybe 2 or 3 racing series ready to replace F1 right now.
superdowg316 wrote:What Hamilton brings to Mercedes and F1 is a superstar driver personality similar to James Hunt but to fit in the modern day. ... Mercedes are appealing to the US market ... F1's problem is that there aren't any real personalities anymore.
Come on, he is not comparable to James Hunt. No one in the current era is. I do agree that there aren't real rivalries, not as much as personalities, on F1 anymore.

Either teams have 2 completely incomparable drivers or teams with competing drivers are too far off. The last good rivalry was Alonso vs. Shumacher. And it was good.

As for Mercedes, I hope it's working on US. I have seen a marked decrease in market in other regions, people do not want to buy a Mercedes and be associated with some sort of "punk youth" or thugs in the rest of the world.
superdowg316 wrote:As for Hamilton not liking being beaten by Rosberg, Rosberg hates being beaten by Hamilton as well. That's the nature of race car drivers as a whole. Senna and Prost hated being beaten by each other, Vettel couldn't cope when Webber finished in front of him, ... The sparks are going to fly this season because of that, but there is still no reason to hate either driver unless there is a 100% deliberate decision to take another driver out, which has not happened despite what people say about Monaco and Catalunya.
True. None of them like it. But then the last time a rival pair was so much anti-sportive (not as much on track attitude, but on overall human attitude) was between Vettel and Webber for obvious reasons. Webber had a broken agreement and Vettel would insist on breaking it, so that had some reason (it was a little bit of cheating, wasn't it?).

Senna and Prost were nearly friends in real life and I don't remember "cold podiums" between the two when things went smoothly.

Rosberg did keep a mildly reasonable attitude when losing to Hamilton most times. Hamilton on the other hand started to be completely disregardful to Rosberg since the end of last year.

That's a reason to hate all that. The fake rivalry, one made only by egos and a marketing proposition.

Senna and Prost did have that as well, but it was inside a complex character of people who were much bigger than this. Yes, that was their huge egos flying sparks, but you could see a real character and a real rivalry between them. Most of them admired each other to no ends. It was like a father and his child scraping paint on something both are very good.

There are still real people in F1, but this hateful marketing swing made it impossible to have enjoyable fights and a true admiration to those man.

Let's be real, there are indeed no Sennas and Prosts anymore but we are ruining what we have left.

A proper Alonso vs Hamilton or Alonso vs Vettel without fake marketing and comparable cars would be awesome.
I've been censored by a moderation team that rather see people dying and being shot at terrorist attacks than allowing people to speak the truth. That's racist apparently.

God made Trump win for a reason.

superdowg316

Agenda_Is_Incorrect wrote:
superdowg316 wrote:I think you are misunderstanding modern Formula One. The era of gentlemen drivers and teams has long passed. Sports nowadays aren't what they used to be, that is for certain especially in motorsports with most series down on television figures due to the switch to pay TV. F1 needs marketing right now, and that comes with personalities.
Do people on pay TV really want to pay to see Hamilton or anyone mingling with celebrities and dressing funky?

I understand your point, but basically there is either classic Formula 1 or there is none. Audience in other sports can be rearranged, but new public (as in, different public) is hardly brought to F1 and the traditional one couldn't care less about all that. In fact it repels us.

Formula 1 is bound to the gentleman/sportsman/extreme human character development to an extent that THIS is the whole sport.

I don't think it can be changed and Bernie knows it. It's no wonder there are maybe 2 or 3 racing series ready to replace F1 right now.
superdowg316 wrote:What Hamilton brings to Mercedes and F1 is a superstar driver personality similar to James Hunt but to fit in the modern day. ... Mercedes are appealing to the US market ... F1's problem is that there aren't any real personalities anymore.
Come on, he is not comparable to James Hunt. No one in the current era is. I do agree that there aren't real rivalries, not as much as personalities, on F1 anymore.

Either teams have 2 completely incomparable drivers or teams with competing drivers are too far off. The last good rivalry was Alonso vs. Shumacher. And it was good.

As for Mercedes, I hope it's working on US. I have seen a marked decrease in market in other regions, people do not want to buy a Mercedes and be associated with some sort of "punk youth" or thugs in the rest of the world.
superdowg316 wrote:As for Hamilton not liking being beaten by Rosberg, Rosberg hates being beaten by Hamilton as well. That's the nature of race car drivers as a whole. Senna and Prost hated being beaten by each other, Vettel couldn't cope when Webber finished in front of him, ... The sparks are going to fly this season because of that, but there is still no reason to hate either driver unless there is a 100% deliberate decision to take another driver out, which has not happened despite what people say about Monaco and Catalunya.
True. None of them like it. But then the last time a rival pair was so much anti-sportive (not as much on track attitude, but on overall human attitude) was between Vettel and Webber for obvious reasons. Webber had a broken agreement and Vettel would insist on breaking it, so that had some reason (it was a little bit of cheating, wasn't it?).

Senna and Prost were nearly friends in real life and I don't remember "cold podiums" between the two when things went smoothly.

Rosberg did keep a mildly reasonable attitude when losing to Hamilton most times. Hamilton on the other hand started to be completely disregardful to Rosberg since the end of last year.

That's a reason to hate all that. The fake rivalry, one made only by egos and a marketing proposition.

Senna and Prost did have that as well, but it was inside a complex character of people who were much bigger than this. Yes, that was their huge egos flying sparks, but you could see a real character and a real rivalry between them. Most of them admired each other to no ends. It was like a father and his child scraping paint on something both are very good.

There are still real people in F1, but this hateful marketing swing made it impossible to have enjoyable fights and a true admiration to those man.

Let's be real, there are indeed no Sennas and Prosts anymore but we are ruining what we have left.

A proper Alonso vs Hamilton or Alonso vs Vettel without fake marketing and comparable cars would be awesome.
Valid points, I agree that this whole "Rosberg v Hamilton" rivalry is stupid. Hamilton has results wise been leagues above Rosberg the last 2 years and Mercedes hasn't permitted a lot of racing between them since Spa 2014. The Senna vs Prost rivalry was huge because they were both very equal in terms of sheer driving talent and both were world champions going on multiple world champions. Same with Schumacher and Alonso like you've mentioned. Only thing I disagree though is Mercedes' profits declining due to Hamilton's image. I don't think people would not buy a Merc because of punk youth marketing (I'm in Aus and I've yet to see an Merc advert with memes and hard metal music), it's probably for another reason that I'm too unintelligent on the subject to debate for.

And I too hope that the future can contain a great rivalry similar to those mentioned above. Who knows, maybe Max Verstappen v Mick Schumacher could be the next big thing?

Andres125sx

Sincerely, if I was Hamilton, I´d be pretty upset with Mercedes.

I can´t think about a dirtiest way to close the door than slowing down (because he got the wrong power mode) and, at the same time, move to the side the car behind is trying to pass.... till you reach track limit (ie. you push your rival to the grass). There can´t be a dirtiest way to close the door. When cars are similar in speed, car behind can change the line and move from the right to the left, but when the car in front made a mistake and speed difference is big, once you´ve chose a side there´s no way back.

I´m shocked about people saying Lewis was too aggressive... Do you think on a track like Montmelo (close to imposible to pass someone with your same car) when the car in front of you make a mistake and his speed is way slower than yours, you shouldn´t try to overtake? Even Massa would try, let alone Lewis. Utter BS, Lewis did what any racing driver in planet Earth would have done, it was Rosberg who, after making a mistake, tried to close the door too late and pushed his team mate to the grass.

If I was Lewis I´d be quite upset, but if after this, I have to hear someone from the team (lauda) saying it was my fault..... there would have been some strong words inside the team. If then, after that, the team only say "no blame to anyone", I´d be even more upset.

IMHO Mercedes is protecting Rosberg, and getting Lewis angry. I can´t think it´s not on purpose, this is F1, they´re not stupid, they know exactly the consequences of each of their acts

Shooty81
Shooty81

Andres125sx wrote:...but when the car in front made a mistake and speed difference is big, once you´ve chose a side there´s no way back.
Rosberg chose the right side early. It was Hamilton who decided to try a pass on this side anyways.
Andres125sx wrote:Utter BS, Lewis did what any racing driver in planet Earth would have done, it was Rosberg who, after making a mistake, tried to close the door too late and pushed his team mate to the grass.
Do you think any racingdriver would let the inside open just because if the other driver would try a pass anyways this could lead to a crash?

Of course Rosberg made the mistakte with the engine mode. And of course I understand Lewis trying to pass on this side. But when he sees Rosberg chosing the right side to defend, he should have used the left side or back off. With his speed difference he could have passed on the outside easily. No reason to go for the closing gap.

For sure both drivers made a mistake there, Rosberg's mistake would have led to Hamiltan overtake him easily, Hamilton screwed it however by chosing the wrong side.

ME4ME

Discussions like these always make me smile a bit. It was the same last year at Hungary when Rosberg and Ricciardo came together. It's the stuff F1 is made if: Infinite debate about who is to blame. :)

Mercedes must be delighted with the marketing they're getting out of this. If it wasn't for the crash, it would've been another 1-2, and media attention would have silenced after 48 hours. Now it goes on and on, and will be the talking point until the next GP, or possibly the end of the season if it turns out to be a defining event for the championship.

lebesset
lebesset

Andres125sx wrote:Sincerely, if I was Hamilton, I´d be pretty upset with Mercedes.

I can´t think about a dirtiest way to close the door than slowing down (because he got the wrong power mode) and, at the same time, move to the side the car behind is trying to pass.... till you reach track limit (ie. you push your rival to the grass). There can´t be a dirtiest way to close the door. When cars are similar in speed, car behind can change the line and move from the right to the left, but when the car in front made a mistake and speed difference is big, once you´ve chose a side there´s no way back.

I´m shocked about people saying Lewis was too aggressive... Do you think on a track like Montmelo (close to imposible to pass someone with your same car) when the car in front of you make a mistake and his speed is way slower than yours, you shouldn´t try to overtake? Even Massa would try, let alone Lewis. Utter BS, Lewis did what any racing driver in planet Earth would have done, it was Rosberg who, after making a mistake, tried to close the door too late and pushed his team mate to the grass.

If I was Lewis I´d be quite upset, but if after this, I have to hear someone from the team (lauda) saying it was my fault..... there would have been some strong words inside the team. If then, after that, the team only say "no blame to anyone", I´d be even more upset.

IMHO Mercedes is protecting Rosberg, and getting Lewis angry. I can´t think it´s not on purpose, this is F1, they´re not stupid, they know exactly the consequences of each of their acts
disagree with that ...if I was hamilton I wouldn't be upset , I'd be apoplectic !
am I the only person who watched the rosberg interview in which he said ...I had lewis in the mirrors , I knew where he was all the time
I will give rosberg the benefit of the doubt and say he misjudged this ; hamilton was partly alongside when rosberg pushed him off the track ; look at it this way , if hamilton had kept his line on the track as he was entitled to do then rosberg would have driven in to him and been penalised ...quite correctly , it's against the rules ; going off the track to try to avoid a collision was his only mistake ....rosberg was entitled to shut the door if he was clear ...but he wasn't ; that's twice he has pushed hamilton off the track this season ...just have a look at the video

ask yourself why the stewards didn't penalise rosberg , pretty obvious in my view , it's a nice little jolly for them and they don't want to be dropped , just like the powers that be don't want mercedes to be so dominant and mercedes can't castigate rosberg again ...the big white chiefs in germany wouldn't like it
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Andres125sx

Shooty81 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:...but when the car in front made a mistake and speed difference is big, once you´ve chose a side there´s no way back.
Rosberg chose the right side early. It was Hamilton who decided to try a pass on this side anyways.
Racing is not about who decided first, but about who reached that point first
Shooty81 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:Utter BS, Lewis did what any racing driver in planet Earth would have done, it was Rosberg who, after making a mistake, tried to close the door too late and pushed his team mate to the grass.
Do you think any racingdriver would let the inside open just because if the other driver would try a pass anyways this could lead to a crash?
No, I think any racing driver should respect the rules, so once any other driver earn the position, he should respect it and not push him out of track
Shooty81 wrote:Of course Rosberg made the mistakte with the engine mode. And of course I understand Lewis trying to pass on this side. But when he sees Rosberg chosing the right side to defend, he should have used the left side or back off. With his speed difference he could have passed on the outside easily. No reason to go for the closing gap.
Yes, there was an obvious reason, they were going out of a long right hander and next corner was a right hander too, so the right side was the only option to overtake.

Any reason Lewis shouldn´t have gone to the good side when he was so much faster than Rosber and he earned the position?
Shooty81 wrote:For sure both drivers made a mistake there, Rosberg's mistake would have led to Hamiltan overtake him easily, Hamilton screwed it however by chosing the wrong side.
No, as explained, there´s nothing Lewis could have done differently. Ok he could have released the throttle, but racing drivers are supposed to fight, not to back off when the only reason is "be careful just in case your team mate ignore the rules and does not let you any space". With that reasoning there would be no overtaking at all.

It was Rosberg fault at 100%, and that´s weird on racing, but in this case it was an incident caused by Rosberg´s mistake (wrong power mode), wich ended up as an accident because of a second Rosberg mistake (didn´t let any space when Lewis car had earned the position).

You can´t find any other accident where responsability is as obvious as it is here

Shooty81
Shooty81

Andreas125x wrote: You can´t find any other accident where responsability is as obvious as it is here
Really?

I just rewatched the incident a few times now.

Hamilton and Rosberg decided at the same time to go to the right side. You can see that both cars are pointing to the right, while Hamilton is still behind. So it was not a case of pushing Hamilton off the track.

Also while the right side is the natural sight to overtake, it is also the natural side to defend. Nothing wrong here.
Your screenshot is when Hamilton is on the grass already, it does not show if he is there because Rosberg was already there, or because he was besides first. So it proves nothing. Use the screenshot from the video 1 second before, and you see both cars going hard to the right side. When Rosberg decided to go to the right side, there was no Hamilton besides him, both cars started their move at the same time.

There is a slight overlap when Hamilton was besides Rosberg, when he was not yet on the grass, but this is not much different to other cars trying impossible overtakes on the inside in corners. I think at that time it would have been impossible for Rosberg to keep that gap open.

While Rosberg was late with his defence, Hamilton was also late with his attack.

Defending like this is racing. Overtaking like this is racing, too. If one of both backs off, it is a great move, if not it is a Crash.

So in the end it was just the definition of a racing incident. Rosberg was a bit too agressive and too late with going to the right side, and Hamilton was too agressive with trying to continue his pass on the right side, where Rosberg was already closing the door.

But seems it is difficult to discuss on this matter as people are so biased.

The experts have different views on the incident, too. Just compare Jaques Villneuves view and the view of Jacky Steward.