2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dans79

Re: 2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

Jolle wrote: Depends on the paycheck ;-)
They are, most of all, professionals :P

But, no, I don't think Rosberg wants to be second. But I think that, especially now he's a bit older, if Hamilton is struggling in the car he would move aside for his teammate. In that case you're more fighting with the car and track then your opponent.
Of course he doesn't want to be second, no competitive athlete ever wants to be second best. However it's usually not the athletes choice, either the competition, or their employer, makes it so.

1. Nico hasn't beaten Lewis yet, and they have been paired together for 3 years (the competition).
2. Nico reportedly wants Lewis type money with his new deal, and Toto has hinted at alternatives. (the Employer)
197 104 103 7

SiLo

I can't see how he can ask for similar money until he wins a WDC, and become at least AS marketable as Hamilton. Currently, no driver on the grid is as marketable. Probably find Hamilton pays for his own salary just in money generated from him being seen in the spotlight almost every day.
Felipe Baby!

Jolle
Jolle

SiLo wrote:I can't see how he can ask for similar money until he wins a WDC, and become at least AS marketable as Hamilton. Currently, no driver on the grid is as marketable. Probably find Hamilton pays for his own salary just in money generated from him being seen in the spotlight almost every day.
Yes! And that is part of Nico's problem. HAM is worth more to Mercedes as a WC then ROS would.
With drivers pay you could make two lists. One on how good as a driver they are and one of how much marketing value they add. I don't think ROS wants to do all the talk shows and red carpets.

Andres125sx

IMHO, Rosberg asking for similar money to Lewis is a countdown to his exit from Mercedes. Without one single WDC he pretend to earn similar money to a 3 times WDC only because that champion has suffered a lot more mechanical problems than himself in this first part of the season? He must be kidding...

If Mercedes was prepared to pay two similar (and astronomic) salaries, they´d sign Alonso. I know this probably is a strategy by Nico who does not really expect that salary, but if he manage to increase his current income then the strategy will be good. But I´m afraid he´s risking his privileged seat with this sort of nosense petitions

Jolle
Jolle

Andres125sx wrote:IMHO, Rosberg asking for similar money to Lewis is a countdown to his exit from Mercedes. Without one single WDC he pretend to earn similar money to a 3 times WDC only because that champion has suffered a lot more mechanical problems than himself in this first part of the season? He must be kidding...

If Mercedes was prepared to pay two similar (and astronomic) salaries, they´d sign Alonso. I know this probably is a strategy by Nico who does not really expect that salary, but if he manage to increase his current income then the strategy will be good. But I´m afraid he´s risking his privileged seat with this sort of nosense petitions
Well, the Rosbers hired Berger, who during his years at McLaren knows how that works. And besides, the only #1 spot for 2017 available in a works team would be Renault. But that would be an Irvine move :P

dans79

Nico is definitely in a precarious position, when stuff like this starts showing up in the press.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns34055.html
As Nico Rosberg's expiring contract comes under the spotlight, Daimler chief Dieter Zetsche has revealed his vision for Mercedes' F1 "future".

"Pascal (Wehrlein) is our future," Zetsche is quoted by the Swiss newspaper Blick.
197 104 103 7

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Mercedes 'future' is either bleak or very far away, considering Pascal isn't exactly walking away from Haryanto.

Mercedes will keep Rosberg if he's cheap enough.

Jolle
Jolle

Fulcrum wrote:Mercedes 'future' is either bleak or very far away, considering Pascal isn't exactly walking away from Haryanto.

Mercedes will keep Rosberg if he's cheap enough.
If it's just money, there would be little problems, considering Mercedes bankroll and Rosberg's intellect (he knows what he's worth). It would be much more in the line of marketing appearances, what kind of team orders can and may come (if push comes to shove if Ferrari and/or RedBull come close, will he move over for the win etc). What we learned from "multi-21" and Monaco, is that these things are all part of the contract.
Again, I can see why they asked Berger. He's been a clear no 2, a leader of a "no 1-2 status" teams and driven for almost every team on the grid.

flickerf1
flickerf1

Really cool article about the Mercedes-Qualcomm partnership:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/analy ... ng-745239/
The Wicked + The Divine.

ClarkBT11

Bhall that's the last thing I would of pictured you posting... Lewis's bromance.

Who could you imagine Nico taking a picture with on his Twitter feed?

GPR-A duplicate2

ClarkBT11 wrote:Who could you imagine Nico taking a picture with on his Twitter feed?
Talking of Bromance, I would imagine Nico (Britney) with Selena Gomez !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

bhall II
bhall II

ClarkBT11 wrote:Bhall that's the last thing I would of pictured you posting... Lewis's bromance.
Sometimes I'm easily amused.

Andres125sx

Phil

dans79 wrote:Nico is definitely in a precarious position, when stuff like this starts showing up in the press.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns34055.html
As Nico Rosberg's expiring contract comes under the spotlight, Daimler chief Dieter Zetsche has revealed his vision for Mercedes' F1 "future".

"Pascal (Wehrlein) is our future," Zetsche is quoted by the Swiss newspaper Blick.
What is so special about Pascal, other than him being a Mercedes protegee and him having won the DTM with Mercedes? I don't know much of DTM nor do I want to downplay Wehrleins achievement of winning it in 2015, but a quick glance at Wikipedia reveals that perhaps Jamie Green would have been in a better position, having won the most wins of that season, but also 4 costly retirements?

Of course, Green is driving for Audi and already aged 33. Still, ignoring DTM, what is so special about Wehrlein? IMO, if Wehrlein ever makes the cut in to a top F1 team, it won't be for another few years. There are way better prospects to be pursued for the immediate future who carry more potential (IMO) and a lot more experience... Or is this all about Zetsche putting on pressure on Rosberg to take a lesser deal?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter