2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
basti313
basti313

Re: 2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

Juzh wrote:
turbof1 wrote:an other is where you make too much of deal where you just assume Mercedes does not use full performance mode in Q2 (they actually do and often is needed).
Sorry, but they actually really don't, unless it's absolutely critical to put in a fast lap. There was a piece of paper with instructions for hamilton written on it captured on live TV during some qualifying session this year (I think it was bahrain) which clearly stated STRAT 2 for Q2 (might even be strat 3, can't remember, but I do know it wasn't strat 1) and strat 1 would only be used in Q3.
Not really. The pictures of Rosbergs steering wheel (much discussed after Spain) show, that they used only three modes at this time. Strat 3 was for the race and Strat 4 was for Q.
Is it not telling, that the MGU-H survived a full race and once they drive in Q it dies?
Don`t russel the hamster!

basti313
basti313

GPR-A wrote:
turbof1 wrote:I do remember they had to use strat 1 in Q2 for a run with a harder set, or a second run because the first one got ruined. I'm not entirely sure which race that was. I also have probably not expressed myself well enough: I did not intend to say to use it for Q2 every time, but I do remember they did at times.
And you are using that one instance as a REGULAR to justify the basti313's post of MGU-H failures occuring due to quali mode. It would definitely help if you could list the instances where they ran quali mode in Q2.
Is this the only point in your nonsense rant against Merc?

Juzh

basti313 wrote:
Juzh wrote:
turbof1 wrote:an other is where you make too much of deal where you just assume Mercedes does not use full performance mode in Q2 (they actually do and often is needed).
Sorry, but they actually really don't, unless it's absolutely critical to put in a fast lap. There was a piece of paper with instructions for hamilton written on it captured on live TV during some qualifying session this year (I think it was bahrain) which clearly stated STRAT 2 for Q2 (might even be strat 3, can't remember, but I do know it wasn't strat 1) and strat 1 would only be used in Q3.
Not really. The pictures of Rosbergs steering wheel (much discussed after Spain) show, that they used only three modes at this time. Strat 3 was for the race and Strat 4 was for Q.
Is it not telling, that the MGU-H survived a full race and once they drive in Q it dies?
I'm not sure this is right, because strat modes go from highest to lowest in order of lowest to highest power setting.

turbof1

They also have an overtake button which gives another additional boost. I don't know how much this plays into this.

Maybe we need to get a log of the strats used. Strat12 seems to be the lowest mode, for a formation lap or outlap. All the others I don't really know. Strat3 seems to be a "start of the race" mode.

What Juzh says could be true, but there's also the possibility that Mercedes decided, for reason unknown to us, that the strats are not in chronological order of how much performance they give.
#AeroFrodo

Juzh

turbof1 wrote:They also have an overtake button which gives another additional boost. I don't know how much this plays into this.

Maybe we need to get a log of the strats used. Strat12 seems to be the lowest mode, for a formation lap or outlap. All the others I don't really know. Strat3 seems to be a "start of the race" mode.

What Juzh says could be true, but there's also the possibility that Mercedes decided, for reason unknown to us, that the strats are not in chronological order of how much performance they give.
I'd say overtake button simply dumps the battery past what is pre-calculated to be optimal deployment and automatically puts the engine into higher engine mode, but still not strat 1.

That's the first time I've heard a suggestion strat modes not being in order and it seems more like clutching for straws. FI for example has "MODE 1" for qualifying runs and "MODE 8" for in lap.

Big Mangalhit

Isn't the 8th on the second picture the gear he is? specially since the screen isn't white and there is no mode word written like the first.

Juzh

Big Mangalhit wrote:Isn't the 8th on the second picture the gear he is? specially since the screen isn't white and there is no mode word written like the first.
Doesn't it say mode on top of number 8? It is blurry, yes.

edit. It probably is gear, I agree.
Last edited by Juzh on 04 Oct 2016, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

basti313
basti313

Juzh wrote:
basti313 wrote:
Juzh wrote: Sorry, but they actually really don't, unless it's absolutely critical to put in a fast lap. There was a piece of paper with instructions for hamilton written on it captured on live TV during some qualifying session this year (I think it was bahrain) which clearly stated STRAT 2 for Q2 (might even be strat 3, can't remember, but I do know it wasn't strat 1) and strat 1 would only be used in Q3.
I'm not sure this is right, because strat modes go from highest to lowest in order of lowest to highest power setting.
So they write wrong things on Rosberg's steering wheel in Spain? Do we also have a conspiracy against Rosberg?

basti313
basti313

Juzh wrote:
Big Mangalhit wrote:Isn't the 8th on the second picture the gear he is? specially since the screen isn't white and there is no mode word written like the first.
Doesn't it say mode on top of number 8? It is blurry, yes.

edit. It probably is gear, I agree.
On the FI the upper left button is setting the Strat mode. No idea, why it should be prominent on the display. But the pictures show the same like MERC: The usual settings are straight up with the arrow pointing down and one klick right of it. So I assume these are also strat 3 and 4 or the equal settings on the FI. During an outlap I have seen a picture of the switch vertical, this might be the equal of strat 12.

Juzh

basti313 wrote: So they write wrong things on Rosberg's steering wheel in Spain? Do we also have a conspiracy against Rosberg?
I could care less which of their drivers mercedes allegedly do or don't not sabotage. Hopefully whoever leads the race or preferably both if they're running 1-2 so we get some more interesting races this year.

Notes on rosberg's steering wheel and specifically what's confusing is "qualy strat 4" could mean anything. It could also mean "qually laps" in the race aka go flat out on strat mode 4, which is most likely imo. I fail to see why he would have notes from saturday qualifying still left on the wheel on sunday.

basti313
basti313

Juzh wrote:
basti313 wrote: So they write wrong things on Rosberg's steering wheel in Spain? Do we also have a conspiracy against Rosberg?
I could care less which of their drivers mercedes allegedly do or don't not sabotage. Hopefully whoever leads the race or preferably both if they're running 1-2 so we get some more interesting races this year.
+1 :D
Juzh wrote: Notes on rosberg's steering wheel and specifically what's confusing is "qualy strat 4" could mean anything. It could also mean "qually laps" in the race aka go flat out on strat mode 4, which is most likely imo. I fail to see why he would have notes from saturday qualifying still left on the wheel on sunday.
I think the notes are always the same. I did not see any changes on them.
But of course, I do not see any point in having them anyways. I would simply sit down and learn them by heart in 5 min:

Goran2812
Goran2812

guys do you believe that hamilton could maybe jump ship and leave mercedes? since things aren't going well at the moment and he believes that "someone or something" is messing with him... could be over reacting but who knows...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

De Jokke

Seems like merc have already put Rosberg in front of Hamilton, clearly visible in the image above :lol:
No but seriously:
Malaysia: comfortably leading and not pushing + rosberg scrappy race: kaboummmm
Suzuka: Rosberg leading, hamilton messy race but pushing: the thing doesn't break

Something is up, the fact that Lewis has been so 'strange' in this press conference confirms to me that he knows something isn't right. He's damaging even merc's image without hesitating and they simply let him: http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... _Mercedes/
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

diego.liv
diego.liv

De Jokke wrote:
Seems like merc have already put Rosberg in front of Hamilton, clearly visible in the image above :lol:
No but seriously:
Malaysia: comfortably leading and not pushing + rosberg scrappy race: kaboummmm
Suzuka: Rosberg leading, hamilton messy race but pushing: the thing doesn't break

Something is up, the fact that Lewis has been so 'strange' in this press conference confirms to me that he knows something isn't right. He's damaging even merc's image without hesitating and they simply let him: http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... _Mercedes/
If these PUs fail after 600 Kms, there's somehing wrong: the majority of us call it reliability (wheter is human error, manufacturing error, etc..)
If you accepted that ERS problems were down to bad luck, you can also accept Malaysia was down to bad luck. If don't, you're clearly not in the majority of us bracket and nothing, i think at this point, will convince you otherwise (Merc management word, drivers word, maybe even Brackley's direct data)
So there's absolutely no point arguing it; ofc you're free to speak your mind, not trying to boss you a-la "shut up! piss off!" but we're just consuming internet data