2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bhall II
bhall II

Re: 2016 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Jolle wrote:For a company like Ferrari (with Maserati and Alfa)...
Gotta read the article.

The idea is not to share a series of common platforms between Ferrari and anything produced by FCA; the idea is to make every Ferrari, bar halo cars like LaFerrari, share the same platform.

That means the mid-engine V6T 488 GTB, the front/mid-engine F12berlinetta, the front/mid-engine AWD GTC4Lusso (whoever named that car should be shot), and the front/mid-engine convertible California T will all somehow be designed around the same aluminum spaceframe.

Jolle
Jolle

bhall II wrote:
Jolle wrote:For a company like Ferrari (with Maserati and Alfa)...
Gotta read the article.

The idea is not to share a series of common platforms between Ferrari and anything produced by FCA; the idea is to make every Ferrari, bar halo cars like LaFerrari, share the same platform.

That means the mid-engine V6T 488 GTB, the front/mid-engine F12berlinetta, the front/mid-engine AWD GTC4Lusso (whoever named that car should be shot), and the front/mid-engine convertible California T will all somehow be designed around the same aluminum spaceframe.

http://i.imgur.com/8JFc4IP.jpg
Thanx! I will. That looks a bit silly indeed. I like my idea better :P

jurinius
jurinius

So Ferrari will not provide Toro Rosso next year ! interesting they are closing some business doors...
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

Jolle
Jolle

jurinius wrote:So Ferrari will not provide Toro Rosso next year ! interesting they are closing some business doors...
That wasn't Ferrari's decision but more a "lets give this RedBull-Renault marriage" a second try.

It prob was quite a nice deal for Ferrari, just using up their spare 2015 engines :P (and that's why I still see year or two year old engines as a great possibility for cost reduction for smaller teams)

iulian_florea
iulian_florea

bhall II wrote:
Jolle wrote:

It is an interesting subject, which probably deserves a new topic.
In my view, one of the reasons Ferrari road cars where so successful is each model has its personality, is unique if you like.
Your suggested approach (which I believe could happen under SM) will diminish some of the flavor these cars have. McLaren were quite criticized for their approach by some.
If I were a Ferrari customer, I would like a non compromise car without this common platform thing, even in this could cost me more.

Jolle
Jolle

iulian_florea wrote:
bhall II wrote:
Jolle wrote:

It is an interesting subject, which probably deserves a new topic.
In my view, one of the reasons Ferrari road cars where so successful is each model has its personality, is unique if you like.
Your suggested approach (which I believe could happen under SM) will diminish some of the flavor these cars have. McLaren were quite criticized for their approach by some.
If I were a Ferrari customer, I would like a non compromise car without this common platform thing, even in this could cost me more.
Oi! Don't quote me wrong :P

But yes, that is a danger. McLaren is taking it to the extreme, with even the P1 sharing lots of components with the SuperSport.
Engine wise Ferrari is already working in a modular system for years and so far it didn't cost them to many customers.

If done well, you have very good sports cars, who don't look or feel alike. Ferrari, with their special series of V8's from a base model have proven they can do this (prob a lot better then McLaren).

bhall II
bhall II

iulian_florea wrote:Your suggested approach (which I believe could happen under SM)...
Since merely linking to an article is apparently too subtle...
Motor Authority wrote:[...]

According to a report from Automobile, Ferrari’s future lineup of road cars, bar special series models like the LaFerrari, will move to a modular platform flexible enough to cater for cars with engines mounted in front of the cabin or behind it. The new platform is said to be a lightweight aluminum spaceframe design in which various powertrain, suspension and electronic modules can be swapped in and out with relative ease. The strategy is one the Volkswagen Group is also employing, with Porsche tasked with developing the German firm’s own modular sports car platform.

[...]
This is really happening.

Jolle
Jolle

bhall II wrote:
iulian_florea wrote:Your suggested approach (which I believe could happen under SM)...
Since merely linking to an article is apparently too subtle...
Motor Authority wrote:[...]

According to a report from Automobile, Ferrari’s future lineup of road cars, bar special series models like the LaFerrari, will move to a modular platform flexible enough to cater for cars with engines mounted in front of the cabin or behind it. The new platform is said to be a lightweight aluminum spaceframe design in which various powertrain, suspension and electronic modules can be swapped in and out with relative ease. The strategy is one the Volkswagen Group is also employing, with Porsche tasked with developing the German firm’s own modular sports car platform.

[...]
This is really happening.
I wanted to reply "is Marchionne a accountant or something?" And then, just for laughs I looked at his wiki page. He is/was....

Companies always loose out at the end when a financial director takes over.

bhall II
bhall II

Jolle wrote:Companies always loose out at the end when a financial director takes over.
Especially an egotist like Marchionne...
Auto Motor und Sport correspondent Michael Schmidt reports: “Returning to England is certainly one of the reasons for the separation.

“But there are also claims that Marchionne could not cope with Allison, because the Briton spoke his mind and refused to be dictated unreasonable targets in contrast to his (Allison’s) 25 years of motor sport experience,” he added.
And that's because the accountant now fancies himself a racer...
But La Gazzetta claims that Marchionne, who is also the Fiat Chrysler CEO, has decided to take more control of Ferrari, including an active say on the main management decisions.
I fear Marchionne will run this team (and this company) into the ground.

(It took a while. But, this is the point I've been trying to make.)

Jolle
Jolle

bhall II wrote:
Jolle wrote:Companies always loose out at the end when a financial director takes over.
Especially an egotist like Marchionne...
Auto Motor und Sport correspondent Michael Schmidt reports: “Returning to England is certainly one of the reasons for the separation.

“But there are also claims that Marchionne could not cope with Allison, because the Briton spoke his mind and refused to be dictated unreasonable targets in contrast to his (Allison’s) 25 years of motor sport experience,” he added.
And that's because the accountant now fancies himself a racer...
But La Gazzetta claims that Marchionne, who is also the Fiat Chrysler CEO, has decided to take more control of Ferrari, including an active say on the main management decisions.
I fear Marchionne will run this team (and this company) into the ground.

(It took a while. But, this is the point I've been trying to make.)
yes... an accountant as CEO and a marketing director as teammanager....

Why does anybody want to leave?

TAG

Jolle wrote:Basically, away from the Porsche way (countless evolutions of the 911) towards a McLaren setup (different models around the same base).
How dare you invoke the Porsche name here? :P A new 911 is indeed a new 911, no diluted platform sharing for those uncompromising Germans.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Jolle
Jolle

TAG wrote:
Jolle wrote:Basically, away from the Porsche way (countless evolutions of the 911) towards a McLaren setup (different models around the same base).
How dare you invoke the Porsche name here? :P A new 911 is indeed a new 911, no diluted platform sharing for those uncompromising Germans.
Lol, as in carrera, s, gt, gts, gt2, gt3, r, turbo, etc

TAG

Jolle wrote:Lol, as in carrera, s, gt, gts, gt2, gt3, r, turbo, etc
NO! Those are merely trim levels. :o I'm talking as in 911, 964, 993, 996,997,991!
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Jolle
Jolle

TAG wrote:
Jolle wrote:Lol, as in carrera, s, gt, gts, gt2, gt3, r, turbo, etc
NO! Those are merely trim levels. :o I'm talking as in 911, 964, 993, 996,997,991!
That's what Ferrari does with their 456 or whatever number they are using now, doing as well, prices of different setups and parts can double or even triple. McLaren does more or less the same but then make it a different model.
911 carrera vs 911 GT2 is more or less 570s vs 650 (or whatever numbers again) (and slightly different price ranges).

Porsche did shared a (front) platform between the first boxer and the 996. If it was a success... nah.

bhall II
bhall II

TAG wrote:
Motor Authority wrote:The strategy is one the Volkswagen Group is also employing, with Porsche tasked with developing the German firm’s own modular sports car platform.
:lol: