2016 Williams Martini Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Re: 2016 Williams Martini Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

SPANISH GP RACE

Tweet Share on Facebook
15 MAY 2016
Barcelona, Spain
4.655km / 2.89 miles

Weather: Warm and dry
Temperature: Air: 20-23C, Track: 40-42C

Race Notes:
• Valtteri Bottas finished fifth and Felipe Massa eighth in today’s Spanish Grand Prix
• The team picked up 14 points to remain fourth position in the Constructors’ Championship, and move 39 points clear of fifth-placed Toro Rosso.
• A two-stop strategy for Valtteri saw him finish fifth from seventh on the grid, benefitting from the two Mercedes colliding in the opening lap.
• Felipe executed his three-stop strategy perfectly, benefitting from an early pitstop on lap 8, making up ten track positons and finishing in the points. He finished just 1.169s adrift of seventh-placed Sergio Perez.

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: I think Valtteri did a really good job. At the end of the first stint we asked him to push to overcut Sainz and Perez. We were about to call him in but we kept him on track so he could get the overcut, which worked well as Valtteri was very quick and pushing hard. After that, it was a straightforward race for him. Felipe’s race was much more complex. It was a much harder job to get those four points. I think we did a really good job in terms of strategy, which we switched around a little bit. We had planned a three-stop strategy, but we changed our tyre plan in the middle of the race to ensure Felipe had good pace to overtake and make progress when he needed to. We got him past the McLarens and onto the back of Perez, but he was unfortunately not able to pass at the end. That’s what we expected him to do in the race, and Felipe delivered. It was unfortunate he had to start from 18th, but we’ve all made mistakes and we’ve got to learn from them and do better next time. The pitwall worked well today and the pitstops were fantastic again; the team seems to be building in confidence as our stops continue to improve. Unfortunately, the car’s pace isn’t quick enough at the moment. Red Bull may have won today, but we won’t stop challenging them. We’ll keep pushing them as hard as we can, and in order to do that, we need more pace from the car.

Valtteri Bottas: I think we got the maximum today and I’m pleased to get decent points. We know our car wasn’t quick enough this weekend, but we had a good result, so that’s positive. Of course we would like to battle for the podiums and wins, but it wasn’t possible this weekend. We need to keep pushing on the development and we need more pace on these type of tracks. We knew that if something happened we could gain a couple of places, otherwise it was always going to be tricky, but this is racing. A lot of things can happen and this time we took a small advantage from it.

Felipe Massa: It was definitely a very good race for us with some good points, finishing eighth positon from starting 18th. It was a difficult race, and not on our best track to finish in the points, so I’m happy. I know we’ve lost points compared to Red Bull, but that’s the way it is. I am really happy for Max. I know what it means to win for the first time, and he is only 18-years-old at a top team. Looking forward to Monaco, I hope we can show that we have a better car for that type of track, as we have struggled there over the last two years. Monaco is Monaco though and anything can happen.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

It is official :)

2016 DHL Fastest Pit Stop Award
Grand Prix Team Driver Fastest Stop
Australia Williams Valtteri Bottas 2.35s
Bahrain Williams Felipe Massa 2.27s
China Williams Felipe Massa 2.10s
Russia Williams Felipe Massa 2.23s
Spain Williams Felipe Massa 2.12s

bill shoe
bill shoe

OK, good collection of points. And smokin' pit stops again!!

Realistically, it's looking tough to claim third in constructors this year. If you were Pat Symonds would you still put scarce R&D eggs (money, wind tunnel time, CFD time, etc.) into this years car or would you give up, accept 4th, and put all your eggs in the 2017 basket?

Sevach
Sevach

The question is finances, how much money does 3rd vs 4th mean?

With that said, i think even if Williams drops a lot of money into this season i think it will be hard to beat Red Bull (or Ferrari), that makes 2017 the sensible decision (specially because of the rule changes).

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Sevach wrote:The question is finances, how much money does 3rd vs 4th mean?

With that said, i think even if Williams drops a lot of money into this season i think it will be hard to beat Red Bull (or Ferrari), that makes 2017 the sensible decision (specially because of the rule changes).
Not sure 100% but I think is less than 5-7 mil. USD

Stalker1
Stalker1

Third place in the constructors championship is not feasible anymore, I think. Mercedes PU is still superior compared to Ferrari and Renault, but not so much as it used be. And Williams chassis is clearly inferior to those of Ferrari and Red Bull. They are not going to beat them, even if there are only handful of circuits like Barcelona, left in the calendar. Considering this, it would be wise to swicth to the 2017 car.

From the other side, they have invested considerable amount of resources into development of FW-38 and also into development of the new short nose and front wing. If I remember correctly, they shifted all the resources towards FW-38 relatively early last year and as Bottas put it, they have only achieved 50% of what they expected from the new nose and front wing. They have made the investment, they see that they have been improved, but they really do not understand the new package completely. I think they havent learn enough yet to throw the FW-38 aside and concentrate to the new car. If they do that, they might as well still make the same mistakes, which they have done so far.

I mean, they started the development of FW-38 earlier than usual last year, but it still has the flaws of its predecessors. I think that Barcelona showed that putting on new nose and front wing to increase downforce will not improve the pace and will not the hide the inherit flaws with chassis design and suspension.

Sooner or later, all teams will switch their focus on 2017. It is inevitable, but have Williams the necessery superiority over FI, Toro Rosso, Haas and McLaren to do that so soon?

Juzh

There are only 2 or 3 circuits left with layout favouring williams car over red bull. Canada, Red bull ring and monza. If past form is anything to go by red bull and renault's PU is actually pretty good in Spa which makes it questionable if williams can take it to them there given red bull's much better car this year. Renault is also expecting a boost in canada so even that one is not entirely on the table.
On the other hand there's a bunch of circuits coming up on which williams will be no match for red bulls whatsoever.
They're pretty much locked into 4th place and should switch to 2017 sooner rather than later.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

As I wrote few week ago the 2017 car - FW39 is already in the wind tunnel :)

(see Pat Symonds interview)

Stalker1
Stalker1

LookBackTime wrote:As I wrote few week ago the 2017 car - FW39 is already in the wind tunnel :)

Yeah, I read your post. Although, I did not understand, what that exactly means? They have a principle to have a constant flow of minor upgrades during the season rather than a couple of major ones. So, this means that FW-39 will get priority and when there is free time and resources, it will be used for FW-38?

Stalker1
Stalker1

Juzh wrote:There are only 2 or 3 circuits left with layout favouring williams car over red bull. Canada, Red bull ring and monza. If past form is anything to go by red bull and renault's PU is actually pretty good in Spa which makes it questionable if williams can take it to them there given red bull's much better car this year. Renault is also expecting a boost in canada so even that one is not entirely on the table.
On the other hand there's a bunch of circuits coming up on which williams will be no match for red bulls whatsoever.
They're pretty much locked into 4th place and should switch to 2017 sooner rather than later.
The long-anticipated upgrade of Renault PU is going to be interesting to see. It will affect both the Red Bull and Renault, although Renault is not going to be near Williams this season. I am actually bit uncomorftable with Honda upgrades... Williams will probably spend the rest of the season in the no-mans land in the upper-midfield, but in the second half of the season McLaren maybe genuine threat.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Stalker1 wrote:
LookBackTime wrote:As I wrote few week ago the 2017 car - FW39 is already in the wind tunnel :)

So, this means that FW-39 will get priority and when there is free time and resources, it will be used for FW-38?
Difficult to offer an answer :)

My guess : they are still developing Fw38 at least until June -July (so FW39 will be developed in background until then). Then they will review if it is worth to continue development.

Sevach
Sevach

LookBackTime wrote:
Not sure 100% but I think is less than 5-7 mil. USD
Once i've read a table where there was extra money for finishing multiple years in the top 3, i don't know if there was any truth to it.

It's all a moot point because i see Williams pretty much locked into 4th.
Stalker1 wrote: The long-anticipated upgrade of Renault PU is going to be interesting to see. It will affect both the Red Bull and Renault, although Renault is not going to be near Williams this season. I am actually bit uncomorftable with Honda upgrades... Williams will probably spend the rest of the season in the no-mans land in the upper-midfield, but in the second half of the season McLaren maybe genuine threat.
Unless it bombs spetacularly (aka major reliability issues) it can only push Red Bull further ahead, by how much becomes a moot point given that Williams is hardly matching them now.

I'm not super worried about Honda/Mclaren, a lot of empty promises from that camp, things like taking the turbo outside the V will be difficult to pull off midseason (not only a major change to the engine but the chassis as well).
Plus even if they actually do it, it may be late for the WCC.

I'm firmly in the camp that supports putting resources into the 2017 car.
Trying different concepts until you find the best one, and getting a good starting point for the new rules is essential for the teams future imo.

Juzh

FoxHound wrote:
Juzh wrote:
bill shoe wrote:Williams have a better engine despite spending much less money than Red Bull.
Prime reason why they have it.
They had it before they knew it was any good. Contracts signed in March 2013.

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport ... -1-5145414
Obviously williams must have seen something in the mercedes V6 to switch to them after just 2 years with renault.

Aside from that, the manor situation last year illustrates perfectly who gets and who doesn't get mercedes PUs.

FoxHound

Juzh wrote:Obviously williams must have seen something in the mercedes V6 to switch to them after just 2 years with renault.
Er, what did they see, Juzh?
You are looking for reasons to suit your own ends. Did you stop to think for one moment that Williams had 4 suppliers of engines in 5 years?(2009-2014). They took up the option as it was available.

Meanwhile, focus on a few facts that actually make sense to a team like Williams.
Williams Racing in Grove is based 60 miles away from Mercedes HPE Brixworth with a journey time of an hour.
Renault Viry Chatillon is 400 miles away from Grove, and will take you over 7 hours with a crossing into Dover...thats if you are lucky. 8/9 hours more likely.
Logistically it makes sense.

Then we can look at Toto Wolff, who in 2006 bought 49% of HWA, who are an offshoot of Mercedes-AMG and run their DTM programme. He then purchased 15% of Williams in 2009.
Mercedes could have supplied Williams earlier but ran under McLaren's veto objections. Once this Veto was nullified, Mercedes started supply to Williams, in no small part because of Wolff's involvement with both Williams since 2009 and Mercedes since 2006.
The case for supply on both sides makes sense.

Finally, for an independent team like Williams, costs matter.
The Renault PU cost 3 million a season more than the Mercedes PU.
Financially it makes sense.

All 3 points are enough individually to move from Renault to Mercedes. Together, it is no brainer.

Juzh wrote:Aside from that, the manor situation last year illustrates perfectly who gets and who doesn't get mercedes PUs.
Teams that throw their engine supplier under a bus?
JET set