2016 Williams Martini Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: 2016 Williams Martini Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

I'm not saying she was a great test driver or anything like that. As soon as Toto Wolff involved himself the team(Williams) took a sudden up-turn, then he goes to Mercedes and within a year or two they're(Mercedes) dominating. And his wife gets involved with Williams and soon they're(Williams) fighting for podiums and in rare occasions wins(Austria 2014, Silverstone 2015), and then she gets out and now they're returning to mediocrity. Maybe it is a coincidence, it just seems funny if you think about it.
Saishū kōnā

Martin_F

I think it's just a coincidence.
But I wish it was true, because then at least we'd know how Williams could get back to the front!

Susie Wolff is still involved with Williams though. If only through the "dare to be different" campaign she's a part of.

Stalker1
Stalker1

I do not believe in luck! At least, I do not believe in luck without doing anything to be lucky. I think that Toto brought managerial insight and ideas to the team.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Stalker1 wrote:I do not believe in luck! At least, I do not believe in luck without doing anything to be lucky.
Perhaps you should look up that race where Panis won the Monaco grand prix..........
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Monobloc
Monobloc

Luck is very real. Anyone who doesn't believe in it to some extent is in denial.

Nickel
Nickel

Manoah2u wrote:
Stalker1 wrote:I do not believe in luck! At least, I do not believe in luck without doing anything to be lucky.
Perhaps you should look up that race where Panis won the Monaco grand prix..........
Panis was the fastest driver to not crash or break down that day.
I'm not sure I call that luck.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

CANADIAN GP PRACTICE

10 JUN 2016
Montreal, Canada
4.361 km / 2.71 miles

FP1
Weather: Warm and Dry
Air & Track Temperatures: 13-15°C / 25-32°C
V Bottas, FW38-03, PU106C Hybrid, 1:16.301 (6th)
F Massa, FW38-02, PU106C Hybrid, 1:17.065 (14th)
Quickest time: L. Hamilton (1:14.755)

FP2
Weather: Warm and Dry
Air & Track Temperatures: 17-20°C / 43-46°C
V Bottas, FW38-03, PU106C Hybrid, 1:15.213 (6th)
F Massa, FW38-02, PU106C Hybrid, 1:15.513 (13th)
Quickest time: L. Hamilton (1:14.212)

Objectives: Aero evaluations, set-up and tyre work.

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: FP1 was a little bit fraught with what happened on Felipe’s car. The DRS didn’t close under braking, we’re still investigating as to why, but that then left Felipe with a lack of rear downforce under braking and he spun causing quite a lot of damage. We did a very good job to get the car built for FP2, where we tried to recover some of the test programme that we missed out on in FP1 on Felipe’s car. I think he’s recovered admirably and done a good job, as has Valtteri, who has got through most of his Friday programme. There’s a lot for us to take away from these two sessions between the two cars. I think overall we can be quite happy as we’re much more competitive here than we have been in the last two races, both on low and high fuel runs. I don’t think we’ve exercised anywhere near the limit of the car, which is a good thing. We’ve got bits and pieces to do tonight but overall it’s a competitive package we just have to make sure that we have a good Saturday and more importantly come away with a good haul of points.

Valtteri Bottas: It’s always really good fun to drive on this track - so I really enjoyed today. We managed to get the car balanced pretty quickly and to get good drivability, so I’m quite happy with the car already, but I’m sure we can make it better. Overall it’s been a positive Friday and I think tomorrow is going to be very close so anything we can find overnight is going to be very useful.

Felipe Massa: It wasn’t really a positive day after what happened in the first session. We lost a lot of time and a lot of pieces of the car. It’s never nice to crash, especially not straight away in the first session. On a positive note, the car was very good this afternoon. There’s still room for improvement to make the car perfect for tomorrow after what happened in the first session. But, we’ll make the most of FP3 and make sure we have everything right for qualifying. For sure, the car seems to be much more competitive straight away compared to Monaco. I hope that carries into tomorrow and Sunday.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

F1 - Lance Stroll more mature than Verstappen - Wolff
"Max behaves more like a youngster"

11 June 2016 - 10h05, by GMM
Lance Stroll, a Williams development driver, has caught the eye of Mercedes’ team boss Toto Wolff.

Canadian teen Stroll is currently leading the highly-competitive European F3 season, combining that race seat with a role at Williams.

The 17-year-old said this week that he is eyeing the reportedly expiring contracts of Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas, but he may not have known that Wolff also has an eye on him.

"He works extremely hard," Wolff said of Stroll, "but his intelligence and maturity is something else as well."

Wolff said that when it comes to Stroll, he is even more impressed with his maturity level than he is with F1 sensation Max Verstappen’s — who is a year older.

"Max behaves more like a youngster," Wolff told La Presse newspaper.

"Max is a teenager. In the car he is extremely good, but when you are with him, he’s a boy. But Lance’s maturity is surprising at just 17 years old."

Wolff, referring to Lance’s billionaire father Lawrence, also told the Canadian newspaper The Star: "I think for this is the next Canadian kid in formula one and it has nothing to do with his father’s wealth.

"It is because the boy can drive."

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/Lanc ... 04773.html

Interesting comments from Toto! Will see if he is right :)

domh245
domh245

I wouldn't be so sure. I suspect this is just Toto trying to gain new fans in Canada. I think it was Renault in China who were waxing lyrical about one of their up and coming Chinese young drivers, and haven't mentioned him since. I suspect that Alex Lynn will get the tip before Stroll does, but then again, Stroll needs to rack up a few more points to qualify for a super license, does he not?

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

CANADIAN GP QUALIFYING

11 JUN 2016
Montreal, Canada
4.361 km / 2.71 miles

Qualifying Notes

• Valtteri Bottas qualified seventh and Felipe Massa eighth for the Canadian Grand Prix
• Both cars made it comfortably through into Q2 and Q3, despite the tricky overcast conditions
• Felipe was fastest through the speed trap during qualifying at 336.7kph, Valtteri was second fastest at 336.6kph

Weather: Overcast, dry track
Temperature: Air: 15-16°C Track: 21-22°C

Q1
V. Bottas: 1:14.389 (5th)
F. Massa: 1:14.815 (12th)
Quickest time: N. Rosberg 1:13.714

Q2
V. Bottas: 1:13.791 (4th)
F. Massa: 1:13.864 (8th)
Quickest time: L. Hamilton 1:14.121

Q3
V. Bottas: 1:13.670 (7th)
F. Massa: 1:13.769 (8th)
Quickest time: L. Hamilton 1:12.812

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: I think we got what we could out of the car today. It’s disappointing to come here and have the fourth quickest car, but at this time, that is the fact. We know this and so we need to focus on improving it. We’ve qualified on the fourth row with both cars so therefore I think we’ve extracted what we could. On the whole I think it’s been a reasonable qualifying. We’ve got the cars set-up for the race as well, which is good, and both drivers did a good job. Felipe did a really great job as we were not able to give him the most performance on his car due to a shortage of parts after the accident yesterday. I think without that we may have been able to get in front of Raikkonen. It’s still all to play for tomorrow. We have got a good race car, as we saw on Friday, so we’ve just got to race hard from there and get a good haul of points.

Valtteri Bottas: I think we did well today. The cloudy conditions made it a bit more tricky to get the tyres working. For me the main problem was the front tyres and getting them hot enough to grip well. That was the main issue, but otherwise the car was handling well. Obviously it was very close today so it was definitely better than the last couple of races, but it’s tomorrow that counts and the weather could affect things. Tomorrow’s the day we need to get the most out of.

Felipe Massa: It was a very competitive qualifying session, which meant we were fighting with every team for a very small gap. With the car I had today, I did a very good job and I’m really happy with my lap. If I had a similar car to Valtteri, I’d have done an ever better job. All in all, I’m pleased with the lap I did and my overall qualifying result, considering my accident yesterday.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

bill shoe
bill shoe

domh245 wrote:I wouldn't be so sure. I suspect this is just Toto trying to gain new fans in Canada. I think it was Renault in China who were waxing lyrical about one of their up and coming Chinese young drivers, and haven't mentioned him since. I suspect that Alex Lynn will get the tip before Stroll does, but then again, Stroll needs to rack up a few more points to qualify for a super license, does he not?
Yep, that will tell the tale. If he has talent and a billionare father then he should have no problem racking up the points for his super license and getting several wins along the way. Stroll is an interesting subject, but ultimately there's no need to guess about his driving ability because Stroll will demonstrate that.

I think RB was too clever by trying to out-guess everyone else about Max Verstappen.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Valteri had a 2,2 sec pit!

Looks like it is the fastest pit time again :) .
Mercedes second I think.

domh245
domh245

LookBackTime wrote:Looks like it is the fastest pit time again :) .
Mercedes second I think.
Correct! VB got 10th fastest lap: http://i.imgur.com/K1HFMUU.png