2016 Williams Martini Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Re: 2016 Williams Martini Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

CANADIAN GRAND PRIX

12 JUN 2016
Montreal, Canada

4.361 km / 2.71 miles

Weather: Overcast, dry track
Temperature: Air: 12-13°C Track: 21-24°C

Race Notes:
• Valtteri Bottas claimed the team’s first podium of the season, finishing third in today’s Canadian Grand Prix
• Felipe Massa was forced to retire following a water system issue that caused his power unit to overheat on lap 36
• Valtteri had a good start and managed to gain a position as a result of Rosberg going straight on at Turn 1. He made his only pitstop of the race on lap 23. Following his stop he was able to pass Ricciardo for fourth making his strategy work to move into third after Vesptappen stopped on lap 46.
• Felipe was running seventh before his only pitstop of the race on lap 22. He was managing his tyres well before being forced to retire
• The team collected 15 points to extend the gap to fifth-placed Force India to 39 points in the Constructors’ Championship

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: I think that was a really good race for us with a well-deserved podium. As we expected, the pace of the car in these conditions was good. We gave away very little to the frontrunners and we beat Red Bull on track, which is really positive. The strategy was absolutely spot on. When other teams were doing two stops, we held our nerve and stuck with our one-stop strategy as planned, and it all worked out very well for us. Valtteri drove a great race and the two pitstops that the pit crew did were really great as well. There’s a bitter aftertaste with the fact that we could have had both cars up there. Felipe would have finished anywhere from fourth to sixth so that’s a lot of points we’ve lost there with the water system issue that caused the temperatures to rise. We went through a series of counter measures to try and get round it, but none of them worked. We therefore had to take the decision to retire the car because the power unit is right at the start of its life. Overall I think it’s a really positive result for the team. We’ve extended the gap to the people behind us, and even with one car out of the points we’ve lost very little to third place. We’ve got lots of good races coming up now; Azerbaijan, Austria, Silverstone, they’re all positive races. We have to look forward now and keep this momentum going.

Valtteri Bottas: I’m very happy with what we achieved as a team today. It’s a shame with what happened to Felipe, but this gives us a big motivation boost for the next few races. I think today shows that we are a strong team who can deliver good results. Our strategy was great and our pitstop was really good, yet again. It was definitely one of my best races. I’m really pleased with today and looking forward to the next race.

Felipe Massa: Of course I’m very disappointed not to finish the race because of a mechanical issue that we had. It’s a race where we’re supposed to score good points with both cars, but unfortunately we didn’t with mine. So we need to concentrate on the next race now as it’s a shame that it ended like this.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

2016 DHL Fastest Pit Stop Award

Grand Prix Team Driver Fastest Stop
Australia Williams Valtteri Bottas 2.35s
Bahrain Williams Felipe Massa 2.27s
China Williams Felipe Massa 2.10s
Russia Williams Felipe Massa 2.23s
Spain Williams Felipe Massa 2.12s
Monaco Williams Valtteri Bottas 2.43s
Canada Williams Valtteri Bottas 2.11s

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Everyone doing amazing pit stop times!

bill shoe
bill shoe

LookBackTime wrote:Everyone doing amazing pit stop times!
But Williams are amazinger than everyone else. Bottas had the fastest single stop, and the least total amount of time in the pits. Red Bull and Ricciardo are wishing they had Williams-caliber pitstops right now. =D> =D> =D>

rscsr

bill shoe wrote:
LookBackTime wrote:Everyone doing amazing pit stop times!
But Williams are amazinger than everyone else. Bottas had the fastest single stop, and the least total amount of time in the pits. Red Bull and Ricciardo are wishing they had Williams-caliber pitstops right now. =D> =D> =D>
I find it even more impressive how consistent they are doing them. They usually barely need more than 2.2 seconds and have almost never hiccups at all meaning that they are pretty comfortable doing them.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

tomazy
tomazy

LookBackTime wrote:2016 DHL Fastest Pit Stop Award

Grand Prix Team Driver Fastest Stop

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Bottas declares Williams “can be strong” in Baku

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/botta ... ku-789166/

By: Charles Bradley, Editor in Chief
9 minutes ago
Valtteri Bottas believes that Williams can be a strong contender in this weekend’s maiden European Grand Prix on the streets of Baku.

Following his first podium of the season in Canada, Bottas believes Williams can again make full use of its Mercedes engines to record another strong result.

He ended Friday’s practice sessions fourth quickest.

“I think we can be strong here,” said Bottas. “It was a good day, and I always like learning new circuits – I really find it cool to find the secrets, step by step.

“It’s a very interesting track, a good challenge for the car and the driver. It is a fast circuit, but it still has a lot of corners in Sector 2, we tried different levels of downforce today.

“I don’t think it’s the best track for our car, but it is a good one. The driveability is not quite there yet. I wasn’t 100 percent pleased, I’m sure we can make it a lot better.

“No problem with the tyres, I don’t think we’ll see too many pitstops.

“The track is still improving a lot,” added Bottas. “We are learning all the time about the track and the setup.

“I really enjoyed today, it’s a cool circuit; very demanding in many aspects. Tomorrow I’m sure we can find a lot more.”

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

EUROPEAN GRAND PRIX

17 JUN 2016
Baku, Azerbaijan
6.001 km / 3.728 miles

FP1
Weather: Warm and Dry
Air & Track Temperatures: 26-28°C / 37-43°C
V Bottas, FW38-03, PU106C Hybrid, 1:47.096 (3rd)
F Massa, FW38-02, PU106C Hybrid, 1:49.125 (8th)
Quickest time: L. Hamilton (1:46.435)

FP2
Weather: Warm and Dry
Air & Track Temperatures: 25-26°C / 31-36°C
V Bottas, FW38-03, PU106C Hybrid, 1:45.764 (4th)
F Massa, FW38-02, PU106C Hybrid, 1:47.060 (16th)
Quickest time: L. Hamilton (1:44.223)

Objectives: Aero evaluations, set-up and tyre work.

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: The first impressions of Baku are that it’s clearly a good track and definitely offers us a good opportunity to be near the front. I like the circuit layout and, apart from an issue with the kerbs in FP1 and FP2 which will hopefully be resolved by tomorrow, I think the organisers have done a very good job. As an engineer, it’s definitely an interesting track because it gives you a compromise, because sector three and sectors one and two have very different requirements. Valtteri’s been very happy with the car all day. There’s more to come from him though, because he’s still trying to find his feet around the circuit. Felipe, on the other hand, isn’t as happy with the car. We tried some different set-up options, as you sometimes do when you come to a new circuit, and thankfully at the end of the session we found a good direction and he was much happier with the car, which was reflected in his laptimes. We were reasonable on the low and high fuel runs, which suggests we can be competitive in all situations. So I’m very confident that we can have both cars up there at the front tomorrow with very similar laptimes.

Valtteri Bottas: It was an interesting day for me, I really like the track. It’s very demanding, it has some high speed corners and some twisty, more technical areas, so it’s definitely one of the most challenging tracks on the calendar, but at the same time it’s a lot of fun. Even though I felt good today, we can still improve the car a lot and get more from the tyres. I have high expectations for the weekend, but we have to keep working because at a new track there’s always more to learn, which I enjoy. It’s interesting finding out all the secrets corner by corner. We need to work hard to keep finding more laptime from me and from the car because we have the opportunity for another good result this weekend.

Felipe Massa: It was a very difficult day for me. I was struggling to get the tyres to work and I’ve never had a problem like this so far this season, so it’s something that we need to analyse. I couldn’t drive the car how I would like because the tyres weren’t within the working range, so whenever I was out on track I was struggling massively. All the other drivers were learning a lot and improving every lap but I couldn’t. There’s a lot of work to do before tomorrow, but I’m sure when we have looked at everything and made some changes, I’ll be competitive. It’s a nice track, of course you enjoy it more when everything is working properly, but the track is interesting. It’s not easy to find the lines in certain corners, particularly the slow sections.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

EUROPEAN GRAND PRIX QUALIFYING

Tweet Share on Facebook
18 JUN 2016
Baku, Azerbaijan
6.001 km / 3.728 miles

Qualifying Notes

• Felipe Massa qualified sixth and Valtteri Bottas eighth for the European Grand Prix
• Valtteri missed FP3 following damage caused by a loose drain cover. He was still able to make it through to Q3 but his quick laps were affected by yellow flags, a red flag and then traffic
• Felipe recovered from his struggles earlier in the weekend to set a time good enough for P6 on his one run of Q3, before the session was red flagged when Hamilton crashed

Weather: Warm, dry track
Temperature: Air: 27-28°C Track: 37-41°C

Q1
F. Massa: 1:45.494 (13th)
V. Bottas: 1:44.706 (6th)
Quickest time: N. Rosberg 1:43.685

Q2
F. Massa: 1:44.696 (10th)
V. Bottas: 1:44.477 (7th)
Quickest time: N. Rosberg 1:42.520

Q3
F. Massa: 1:44.483 (6th)
V. Bottas: 1:45.246 (8th)

Quickest time: N. Rosberg 1:42.758

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: When you look at how good we were yesterday in similar conditions, this is a little disappointing. Valtteri missing FP3 had an impact on his qualifying potential, having missed 25% of the practice time. FP3 is when we get the cars set up for qualifying, so it was a disappointing that he was still having to learn in those sessions. Then his laps were affected by traffic and yellow flags, as were Felipe’s as well, so it was very difficult. I’m sure Valtteri could have been in the high 1:43s, that’s about where he’s been all weekend, and he should have had the legs to get in front of Red Bull. Qualifying was not ideal but we had good pace in the long runs on Friday, so we just need to convert that tomorrow in a race where we should be able to make a good deal of forward progress with both cars.

Felipe Massa: I’m happy with the result in qualifying. It was much better than I was expecting because I had been struggling with the car all weekend. In qualifying, I was able to improve the way I was driving and improve the car at the same time. We were a little bit lucky at the end of Q3 because I managed to set a time before the red flag, but this is part of the game. I’m still not one hundred per cent happy with the balance and I made a little mistake in the last corner, so it could have been maybe two tenths quicker. I hope we can have a good race tomorrow but it will be very tough, this track could be one of the most difficult to finish. We’ve seen only half the GP2 grid finish their race, so we need to be very clever with everything that could happen tomorrow.

Valtteri Bottas: I think we were unlucky today. Missing FP3 definitely made qualifying more difficult. It’s hard to say how much it affected us, but I don’t think our pace was too bad. I didn’t put a perfect lap together in Q1 or Q2, so I think to get through how we did shows that we had good pace. Q3 was tough because I was heavily affected by traffic on both of my runs and I think there was definitely about half a second to be found in the car. For tomorrow, we have a good race pace so I’m sure we can have a good day.
*Felipe Massa will start P5 as a result of Perez's five-place grid penalty incurred due to a gearbox change following FP3

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

WilliamsRacing: You've got to be quick to get this photo when the stop is over in 2.0s! #EuropeGP #F1Baku #WeAreRacing https://t.co/ExptbKPIrU

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

formulaspy: Bottas: "We were missing pace today. Team did a good job, but we need better pace. More grip in the corners!" #F1 #EuropeanGP

Sevach
Sevach

Same old story...

Plus was it necessary to stop Massa again?