2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mr.G

Re: 2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Quick shake down of new engine before test 2?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

cplchanb
cplchanb

Not sure if it was the smart thing to do given the unlimited development of the engines. They might need a couple more "filming days" in the summer. Then again arent new parts forbidden on filming days?

Thunder

Only 2 Filming Days allowed per Team per Season.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

f1316
f1316

Given only four PUs this year, they've got to ensure it's working reliably from the very beginning or they'll be feeling the pain all the way through the year.

Motorsport said they did the whole first test with 1 PU, which suggests far from top performance settings/spec so they'll be looking at ensuring they maintain that kind of reliability when they turn it up to eleventy-stupid.

Side question: was there any change to close the loophole Mercedes used last where, if you do go over PU allowance, you can build up a bank of new units? I know that's a consequence of trying to avoid massive penalties of the type McLaren endured in 2015, but no further tweaks?

ME4ME

f1316 wrote:Given only four PUs this year, they've got to ensure it's working reliably from the very beginning or they'll be feeling the pain all the way through the year.

Motorsport said they did the whole first test with 1 PU, which suggests far from top performance settings/spec so they'll be looking at ensuring they maintain that kind of reliability when they turn it up to eleventy-stupid.

Side question: was there any change to close the loophole Mercedes used last where, if you do go over PU allowance, you can build up a bank of new units? I know that's a consequence of trying to avoid massive penalties of the type McLaren endured in 2015, but no further tweaks?
Yes that's blocked. I think they worded it like you can't use more than 2 PU's per event.

bosyber
bosyber

Didn't they just specify that you can now only use the last one installed in further weekends, so installing more than one won't get you a supply of them, but if it keeps breaking (Honda?) you can plug away until you get a running PU for the weekend?

f1316
f1316

It was a bit of a weird day and a weird spin for Kimi; hopefully just a blip and the car is really as good as we were starting to believe, but a bit of an odd day.

Two days left and you'd expect each driver would get at least one go with the softer rubber; I'm expecting a 1:18 or they're holding back vs their soft tyre runs in the first week (or they've gone backwards).

ripper
ripper

I read a tweet of a guy that is at the track and he said that the car looked worse today, maybe more fuel?

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

ripper wrote:I read a tweet of a guy that is at the track and he said that the car looked worse today, maybe more fuel?
It is because new PU I think.
Ferrari did their second filming day in Barcelona to test new spec. PU for Melbourne. They had fluid problem with Kimis car first. I saw Kimis crash, he lost rear due to wheel spin going into turn three. To me it looks like problem with drivability.

Vasconia

Fer.Fan wrote:
ripper wrote:I read a tweet of a guy that is at the track and he said that the car looked worse today, maybe more fuel?
It is because new PU I think.
Ferrari did their second filming day in Barcelona to test new spec. PU for Melbourne. They had fluid problem with Kimis car first. I saw Kimis crash, he lost rear due to wheel spin going into turn three. To me it looks like problem with drivability.
Too soon even for Ferrari to start bringin bad updates, isn´t it? :mrgreen:

Now seriously, I hope they revert to the old version or find a new one because the car looked so good!

g70
g70

Hello guys!
first time I write
I apologize to Turbof1 for posting earlier in the wrong place (Scuderi Ferrari SF70H).
I live in Sicily, excuse my bad english.
I am naturally a fan of Ferrari, I follow motor sports since 1961. I have 70 years
I read with great sorrow the post in which he denigrated so much stronger the SF16 and the team for not having improved.
I expose my views
1) SF16: The project and design were good (Allison) and the car looked well. Australia badly in qualifying, but good rase pace (could have won).
The Allison wife's death changed everything. He did not attend more to the race weekend. Ferrari left him free to care for their family interests in England (Ferrari issued a press release) and was in Maranello reluctantly. Meanwhile, Mercedes knew that Lowe at the end of the year would go away and was therefore looking for a substitute. Mercedes spoke with Allison early in 2016 and everything was perfect: Lowe away at the end of 2016, Allison, free from Ferrari, would be back in time for gardening early in 2017. Since then, Allison still neglected the team more. The contract was mutually terminated in August. Other technicians, who were part of his team, were also vacated. All this has led to the destruction of the old organization and it was not possible to upgrade the chassis and aerodynamics of the SF16, unlike the engine that was constantly updated.
2) Organisation team: When Ferrari realized that Allison wanted to leave, there was no other free contract technicians to replace the guys who went away. Everyone should observe the gardening, no ready available for the new 2017 car.
New project had to be compulsorily drawn up using internal resources.
These are of course my opinions after observation of what happened.
The new car looks good, cross my fingers, but the Mercedes, even though she is hiding, it seems to me stronger, much stronger.
Last edited by g70 on 09 Mar 2017, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

g70
g70

"I apologize to Turbof1 for posting in the wrong place (SF70H)."
hoops..... to Thunders

Sevach
Sevach

Vasconia

It was being a pretty good one(constant 1,23m) until a red flag caused by Kvyat.

RS200E

Vettel does so many laps in these test sessions with the cars supposedly harder to drive. That guy is a machine! My respect for him has just went up a level.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!