2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Yurasyk
Yurasyk

Re: 2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

zac510 wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 19:10
etusch wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 18:36
Ferrari must take a sponsor something like lucky strike
They already have a deal with Marlboro: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13163 ... lboro-deal
There is no "lucky" in "Marlboro". :?

zac510
zac510

Oh it's a joke.. Pardon me! Well Lucky Strike didn't really work out too well for BAR in terms of luck anyway :D

f1316
f1316

Vasconia wrote:
30 Sep 2017, 09:39
I am happy to see that Ferrari is no longer the team who used to go down in the second half of the season. Updates are working well, we may see a fight until the last race if we have some luck.
So this is interesting in light of the recent race. Running contrary to many people's expectations:

- Ferrari's updates are not only rapid and consistent but seem to be working as intended
- conversely Mercedes have now put a package on the car that not only doesn't work as expected but they don't seem to understand - evidenced by the fact that one of their cars continued to run it

On the flip side, it's currently Ferrari that are getting the lion's share of reliability issues at the moment; that said, I'd suggest that this is a likely the result of very aggressive and ambitious targets for components in order to minimise time on the final set, allowing for very aggressive usage in final GPs. It didn't work but suspect it wasn't design flaws but just overreaching.

And one of the glimmers of hope amongst the current results (along with general strong pace) is that they now have a clear run to the finish with no likely reliability issues (gearbox from Stroll crash not withstanding but hopefully not an issue with the inner/outer shell design), having fitted new turbo for Seb and Kimi getting a new raft in Suzuka.

Mercedes, on the other hand, will have to tread carefully, given they went aggressive and introduced their final PU in Spa. Whilst they may gain in oil usage, they will have to be careful with performance modes - something they can I'll-afford if their chassis continues to have its moments of 'diva-ishness'.

All of which is basically to say that, yes, I think the notion Ferrari would be out developed by Mercedes was wide of the mark. Granted, Red Bull have made by far the biggest step during the course of the season but I think a large part of that was underperforming vs expectations at the start of the season, giving them more headroom when fundamental issues fixed.

Vasconia

f1316 wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 09:11

All of which is basically to say that, yes, I think the notion Ferrari would be out developed by Mercedes was wide of the mark. Granted, Red Bull have made by far the biggest step during the course of the season but I think a large part of that was underperforming vs expectations at the start of the season, giving them more headroom when fundamental issues fixed.
RB had the biggest room to improve their chasis which had a very clean design at the start of the season, so I am not surprised if they had the best one right now.

Ferrari´s approach to in-season development changed in the last half of the previous season and in the last races we already saw that things were going in the right direction.

I prefer to see this failures because of an agressive development rather than the ultra conservative path they choosed during Alonso´s years in the Scuderia. It may cost the championship but this is the Ferrari I like to see.

TAG

This is making it sound as if there are some young heads rolling in Maranello as a consequence of this weekend.

Vasconia wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 15:43
I prefer to see this failures because of an agressive development rather than the ultra conservative path they choosed during Alonso´s years in the Scuderia.
Which given your comments, aggressive development that gets its head chopped off doesn't stay aggressive for long. Rise, lather, repeat.

Motorsport -An "angry" Sergio Marchionne says changes are being made to the Formula 1 team to combat the "ugly" reliability problems that marred its Malaysian Grand Prix.

Sebastian Vettel had to start last at Sepang after engine problems affected his Saturday, while Kimi Raikkonen was unable to take up his second place on the grid due to similar issues.

Ferrari identified the failure of a component relating to the engine's air intake system as the problem on both cars. president Marchionne said that was the consequence of a "young team" in the engine department, and that action was being taken.

"Yesterday both Ferraris could have won the race," he said at an event in Rovereto in Italy on Monday. "That's a fact. It could have also been the same at Singapore, that's another fact.

"It's also a fact that we've got some issues with our power units because we have a young team, but also because the quality of the components is not at the right level for a race car.

"We are intervening and we are working on it. It's almost fortunate we haven't had that problem until the Malaysian GP.

"Now we're working on the quality department and making some organisational changes. Having this kind of problem during the race make us angry.

"That's not a big problem if this kind of issue appears in our factory, but it's really ugly when you're in second place on the grid and you can't start the race."
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

They swapped Vettels engine and the problem returned. Sounds like a bad sensor/wire/connector/junctionpanel which is not replaced with the engine. Why didn’t they replace it preventive on Raikkonens car?

Singabule
Singabule

No time because of their focus on Vettel car. Also if it is not broken, dont fix it, backfire

adrianjordan

f1316 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
I am happy to see that Ferrari is no longer the team who used to go down in the second half of the season. Updates are working well, we may see a fight until the last race if we have some luck.
So this is interesting in light of the recent race. Running contrary to many people's expectations:

- Ferrari's updates are not only rapid and consistent but seem to be working as intended
- conversely Mercedes have now put a package on the car that not only doesn't work as expected but they don't seem to understand - evidenced by the fact that one of their cars continued to run it

On the flip side, it's currently Ferrari that are getting the lion's share of reliability issues at the moment; that said, I'd suggest that this is a likely the result of very aggressive and ambitious targets for components in order to minimise time on the final set, allowing for very aggressive usage in final GPs. It didn't work but suspect it wasn't design flaws but just overreaching.

And one of the glimmers of hope amongst the current results (along with general strong pace) is that they now have a clear run to the finish with no likely reliability issues (gearbox from Stroll crash not withstanding but hopefully not an issue with the inner/outer shell design), having fitted new turbo for Seb and Kimi getting a new raft in Suzuka.

Mercedes, on the other hand, will have to tread carefully, given they went aggressive and introduced their final PU in Spa. Whilst they may gain in oil usage, they will have to be careful with performance modes - something they can I'll-afford if their chassis continues to have its moments of 'diva-ishness'.

Aren't I correct in thinking though that some of Mercs PUs have only doe 2 races so still have life left in them...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

outsid3r

adrianjordan wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 09:19
... with no likely reliability issues (gearbox from Stroll crash not withstanding but hopefully not an issue ...
According to some sources, the gearbox was examined in Maranello and deemed in a good healthy state and is on its way to Japan. There should be a press release soon

Phil

No offense, but it would make better strategic sense to say just that and then come out with the new gearbox last minute, like Mercedes did with Hamilton in Austria.

According to the Japan race thread, Ferrari made an inquiry if they could change the gearbox without a penalty, which apparently was denied.

My guess is that Ferrari have two options: run the gearbox without a penalty but at a risk, or bluff the competition and do the swap last minute but take the penalty. Meaning, we will likely only find out after FP2.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Vasconia

TAG wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 20:25
This is making it sound as if there are some young heads rolling in Maranello as a consequence of this weekend.

Vasconia wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 15:43
I prefer to see this failures because of an agressive development rather than the ultra conservative path they choosed during Alonso´s years in the Scuderia.
Which given your comments, aggressive development that gets its head chopped off doesn't stay aggressive for long. Rise, lather, repeat.

Motorsport -An "angry" Sergio Marchionne says changes are being made to the Formula 1 team to combat the "ugly" reliability problems that marred its Malaysian Grand Prix.

Sebastian Vettel had to start last at Sepang after engine problems affected his Saturday, while Kimi Raikkonen was unable to take up his second place on the grid due to similar issues.

Ferrari identified the failure of a component relating to the engine's air intake system as the problem on both cars. president Marchionne said that was the consequence of a "young team" in the engine department, and that action was being taken.

"Yesterday both Ferraris could have won the race," he said at an event in Rovereto in Italy on Monday. "That's a fact. It could have also been the same at Singapore, that's another fact.

"It's also a fact that we've got some issues with our power units because we have a young team, but also because the quality of the components is not at the right level for a race car.

"We are intervening and we are working on it. It's almost fortunate we haven't had that problem until the Malaysian GP.

"Now we're working on the quality department and making some organisational changes. Having this kind of problem during the race make us angry.

"That's not a big problem if this kind of issue appears in our factory, but it's really ugly when you're in second place on the grid and you can't start the race."
Typical Ferrari-esque overraction.

f1316
f1316

adrianjordan wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 09:19
f1316 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

Aren't I correct in thinking though that some of Mercs PUs have only doe 2 races so still have life left in them...
I don't specifically know which PU was used at each race, but suspect they'd have needed spec 4 at Spa, Monza and Sepang. Singapore would have been an old unit but very surprised if it was in Malaysia (might go towards explaining lack of pace bar quali, I guess).

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

zac510 wrote:
02 Oct 2017, 08:49
Oh it's a joke.. Pardon me! Well Lucky Strike didn't really work out too well for BAR in terms of luck anyway :D
one would be ablidged to say having the FIA on your side "all the way" should be enough but even then...... #-o
if they wouldn't have been getting as many get-out-of-jail-free-cards then the championship indeed would have
been decided 2 to 3 races ago. way to go Ferrari despite having todt on your side, AND perhaps even a better
car than the Merc to still throw both the WDC and WCC into the trashcan =D>

I wouldn't be surprised to once again see Ferrari completely haul over the management next season, and thus write off yet another season.

My respect for Schumacher is only starting to grow more and more and more with what he achieved with Ferrari. I mean that's the exact same Ferrari but he managed to turn it around into a completely dominating team after taking it from the exact same mess in the mid-90's like the team has slipped back in right after he left.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

adrianjordan

Just a thought. People are suggesting that Vettel won't have any more reliability problems as a result of his new PU at Sepang. But with 5 races remaining, that PU will have to do 6 races in total...has any Ferrari PU managed that this season without a failure??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Vanja #66

They used #5 ICE, MGU H and TC for the race, mate. Paid a heavy price, a 20 place grid penalty :D
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie