2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JuanjoTS
JuanjoTS

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

fenix4life wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 20:49
JuanjoTS wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 19:22
Redragon wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 16:31

JuanjoTS can you hung a picture on your wall in less of 15 min? on level? it is just one screw. So imaging changing the entire engine?
15 min is a way of talking, if they should improve in that aspect, it is not tolerable to change 2 engines cost 8 hours in an F1 team. There must be a way to get closer to 15 minutes than at 8 hours, it takes 2 seconds to change wheels while in a workshop costs more than an hour. When you create a piece you have to think about the ease of substitution, something that is thought too little.
PD: With the right tools I hang a picture in 2 seconds.
I don't really agree.
Ok, 8 hours might be a lot but don't forget that we are not talking here about endurance racing where the car and engine is constructed in a very modular way to save as much as time as possible to make everything accessible and/or changeable.
This is how Audi won a lot as they could perform tremendous amount of fixes in 15 minute.
Any specific reason not to do it in F1? :wink:

https://www.redbull.tv/video/AP-1P6BWQ9 ... BWQ9JS1W11

Pitstop story.
It's not a video of McHonda but it's used to support my arguments, you can not lose 4 hours to change an engine.
Last edited by JuanjoTS on 18 Apr 2017, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

Nuvolari wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 18:29
Guys and girls, I extracted the speeds from the telemetry overlay in some of the onboards from qualifying in China, and plotted them:

http://i.imgur.com/wvaJx6V.png

Hamilton's lap was the pole lap, Hulkenberg's was the Q3 one, Vettel was the first run in Q3 so he lost a bit of time in the 2nd half of the lap, and Alonso's is the Q2 one. Unfortunately only half the laps from both Alonso and Hulkenberg.

I found turn 7 pretty interesting, as it's where the chassis is having some sustained high speed cornering. The Mercedes and Ferrari had a similar cornering speeds, whereas the McLaren was slightly better than the Renault. So, even with this PU the McLaren is running more peak downforce than the Renault? The McLaren was showing better apex speeds on turn 9 too, than the Renault. Very interesting if the PU improves.

The Renault is better than the McLaren in the low speed corners however, and this looks like the McLaren's weak spot. Ferrari looks the best in the turns 1-4 sequence, the speed its carrying through T1 is impressive. What do you guys think?
That is good work.
But your X-axis is time, but for it to be a one to one comparison your X-axis should be distance on the track. We should still be able to compare roughly still, but it is not the right way.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Macca can build a big ole' backing plate that they bolt onto the back of the chassis. Yes, it will be heavy as hell, but the engine and all the systems including the radiators should be bolted on. Forget about using solid pipes too, use hoses. Should be able to swap out engines and everything attached to it quicker.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GoranF1
GoranF1

Looks like a better day today.... :D
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Almost a full race distance!
Dare I see, a feeling of relief ... \:D/

Edit: it is that bad that this already makes me happy :roll:
Last edited by Jef Patat on 19 Apr 2017, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

Andres125sx

JuanjoTS wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 15:38
They should have changed the engine in 15 min
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now seriously... Do you think twice before posting? #-o

Thunder

Definitely a smoother ride than Yesterday. https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/854625145029361664
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

FW17

Thunders wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 11:26
Definitely a smoother ride than Yesterday.
https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/854625145029361664
=D> =D>

max_speed
max_speed

Thunders wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 11:26
Definitely a smoother ride than Yesterday.
https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/854625145029361664
Please show some pace now and beat the best time recorded by McLaren in Baharin gp weekend. [-o<

godlameroso

One second off their best, and done with testing equipment, more fuel, harder tires, and daytime desert sun which itself costs you a second. Important part is that the car didn't break down right away. Still a $h!t sandwich just not a soggy one, and at least the bun is decent.
Saishū kōnā

GoranF1
GoranF1

AMuS live..

"Vandoorne has already driven 49 laps. Jokes are being made in the paddock. Is there already a Mercedes engine in the rear? Teamchef Eric Boullier calmed down. It is still a Honda V6 turbo. And why has he been so long? "We do not know, it's the same specification in the car as yesterday, it runs and runs and runs
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

mclaren111

godlameroso wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 12:49
One second off their best, and done with testing equipment, more fuel, harder tires, and daytime desert sun which itself costs you a second. Important part is that the car didn't break down right away. Still a $h!t sandwich just not a soggy one, and at least the bun is decent.
Well put Sir !!! :lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol:

max_speed
max_speed

GoranF1 wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 12:54
AMuS live..

"Vandoorne has already driven 49 laps. Jokes are being made in the paddock. Is there already a Mercedes engine in the rear? Teamchef Eric Boullier calmed down. It is still a Honda V6 turbo. And why has he been so long? "We do not know, it's the same specification in the car as yesterday, it runs and runs and runs
this was funny. i dnt blame observers , honda engine running for more than 50 laps without breaking will surprise even honda engineers. hasegawa comments at end of today will for sure say. i do not know what happened , we are still investigating what caused this much consistent running...

mrluke
mrluke

Nuvolari wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 23:08
I got the onboard video and extracted the frames, then manually recorded the speeds. I tried to align the speeds based on the references from the track, but as you note, the traces are not properly aligned in the 2nd half of the lap...the one I posted was put together quickly, so it's a rough draft if you like. Still the apex speed differences can be judged, so I think it's helpful information to evaluate the chassis. It is also possible to construct a throttle/brake telemetry like that using other methods, but it is more laborious...and I'm not good at coding so, it's even worse. :(
Wow! That must have taken some time! 10/10 for effort.

I spent far too many hours last night looking into extracting an rpm trace via audio analysis. Which appears to have been successful. With a little more time I'll have something to share.

But more importantly it's all done with free software so that anybody can do it :)

Will be great to get more data based analysis as opposed to the usual PR statements.

Alonso Fan

godlameroso wrote:
19 Apr 2017, 12:49
:lol: :lol: =D> =D> =D>

Very well put indeed
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa