2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Phil

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

kfrantzios wrote:
22 Jun 2017, 17:33
Can we have a look at that GPS data?
To be fair, 3rd place doesn't mean 3rd quickest. Ricciardo was in 3rd, as a consequence of Ferrari having a troubled weekend and Verstappen having a PU error. Given how the strategies worked out and Force India was right on the tail of Ricciardo with both cars, who knows - a McLaren with a Mercedes engine might just have been in a better position on such a power circuit. That's about it though, not more or less. If they had an engine somewhat competitive, I would imagine them battling for 3rd with RedBull - best case scenario (and RedBull as a result of their own engine is a second off the pace, but that is probably bound to change soon). Assuming Ferrari and Mercedes finish most races, that's still 5th/6th, and if Renault sorts their engine, that will just bring RedBull closer to the front.

It's all rather moot though for the reasons I explained above: PUs are NOT interchangeable without any cost. Change the PU and you are bound to change many other things about the car too. So it's not necessarily given that McLaren could run the same aero platform with a Mercedes engine. First of all - the weight is somewhat bound to the PU and as has been posted in the other topic (either the Mercedes PU or the Mercedes team topic) the overweight issues of the Mercedes is also connected to the PU.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

RedNEO

j.yank wrote:
22 Jun 2017, 14:45
Sevach wrote:
22 Jun 2017, 13:39
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... 8-f1-drive

I don't think he wants Honda engines...
He clearly doesn't want Mercedes engine, too :)

But asked if a switch to Mercedes would assure McLaren become race winners again, Alonso replied: "Not really, it will not change much."
He's not going to give anything away, clearly he would, but he's not going say anything like that to the media until an announcement is made.

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Well its at least +15 grid positions for Alonso and Vandoorne (until now)...

Also, regardless of the hopes and high expectations of some in this thread about the big Honda update, at least Vandoorne doesn't seem to think that way, and he should have more information about the details of the update:

"When it was asked if the new parts will bring more performance, Vandoorne said:'Difficult to say to be honest. I don't think it will be too different.'"
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... -penalties

So lets wait and see, maybe they will finish the race this time...

etusch

It seems that there is not a big gain if it is 12 but big if it is 30. About it I prefer to listen what Alo say after testing it and about power I prefer to listen Hasegawa san if he speaks.

Vasconia

When Alonso says "I will win in 2018 wherever I am" makes me think he will take part in Le Mans.

adrianjordan

So not the new PU this race then, just new spec MGU-H and Turbo, is that right?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

etusch

Also new ice for Alonso

F1NAC

So Alonso took tow from Hamilton, and lap later engine is gone... TO much pressure :D

isullivan
isullivan

Someone has to make a compilation of Alonso going "engine, engine" on the radio with a disappointed voice.

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

The sooner McLaren get rid of Honda the better.

foxivan
foxivan

another garbage bought forward by Honda...... :evil:

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

isullivan wrote:
23 Jun 2017, 16:11
Someone has to make a compilation of Alonso going "engine, engine" on the radio with a disappointed voice.
And add some pictures...

Phil

According to AMuS, that is (was) the only engine of that spec this weekend at Baku. So for the rest of the weekend, it will be the older spec, like is already in the back of Stoffels car.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Thunder

They wanted to decide after FP2 if the new Spec would be used right? That Honda PU is quicker at decision making than all the smart Heads at McLaren. ^^
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bauc

I cant stand this anymore, Mclaren needs to get out of the HONDA deal ASAP even if that means that they will not win championship in the next few years (till next engine rules) but atlest they will have a chance to develop their car and their drivers
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg