2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dren

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

santos wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 13:47
dren wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 13:42
People severely underrated Button.

I think Vettel is a tad bit overrated. He's quick, but car dependent.

Hamilton has proven to be quick every year, in every car he has been in.

The best two drivers in F1 are Hamilton and Alonso. Then it's a small drop to Vettel and Ricciardo. Max is fast, but hasn't figured it all out yet. Just my opinions of course.
Everyone have their own ranking, but Hamilton didn't had a great year in 2013. He didn't had the best car also.
2013: His first year in a new team with 5 podiums and one being a victory driving what you said wasn't the best car.
Honda!

dren

bauc wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 14:08
Any chance Mclaren can overtake Renault and end up P8 in constructors this year? I think yes, they are only 15 points ahead and with few good finishes here and there and with a bit of luck and hopefully some good updates (spec4) I thnik Mclaren can do it. I'm not so sure if they can catch Hass for P7, as they will be fast in Monza & SPA due to the Ferrari engine in the back.
There's always a chance. Renault has made some good improvements with the aero. If Honda makes a good step with the next PU upgrade, which spec-4 is rumored to be the full upgrade, then it could be possible.
Honda!

GoranF1
GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

It's always easy talking from the outside, but it's good to see them ending the conversation on a positive note about Honda's capacity and not to underestimate them.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

GoranF1
GoranF1

Manoah2u wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 21:25
It's always easy talking from the outside, but it's good to see them ending the conversation on a positive note about Honda's capacity and not to underestimate them.
They talk like all the problems are around mgu-h and its vibration, when the problems whit the PU are much deaper.

Morteza

I didn't know where to post this; it's McLaren related so here we are. It's like an April Fool's Day joke, but in August :wink:

IS WOKING REALLY SET TO BECOME FORMULA 1'S NEXT GRAND PRIX DESTINATION?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

diffuser

mclaren111 wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 07:39
I would love to see Mclaren dominate a year or two again :D :D
Domination is boring. Fighting is fun!

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 21:55
Manoah2u wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 21:25
They talk like all the problems are around mgu-h and its vibration, when the problems whit the PU are much deaper.
I thought the closing statement by Peter was almost tongue-in-cheek. Like "here's hoping".

ZakB
ZakB

bauc wrote:
Any chance Mclaren can overtake Renault and end up P8 in constructors this year? I think yes, they are only 15 points ahead and with few good finishes here and there and with a bit of luck and hopefully some good updates (spec4) I thnik Mclaren can do it. I'm not so sure if they can catch Hass for P7, as they will be fast in Monza & SPA due to the Ferrari engine in the back.
It will all depend on how they perform in Spa, if they can score points there, it's going to look real good for the rest of the season. But I doubt it, as far as I know the big update (which should add around 30-40BHP) is planned for Mexico or US.

GoranF1
GoranF1

ZakB wrote:
17 Aug 2017, 01:32
bauc wrote:
It will all depend on how they perform in Spa, if they can score points there, it's going to look real good for the rest of the season. But I doubt it, as far as I know the big update (which should add around 30-40BHP) is planned for Mexico or US.
They are going to start dead last in SPA due to PU penalties.

Thunder

Deleted some posts. Can we at least talk about McLaren Drivers in this Thread? Vettel vs. Ricciardo doesn't fit in here, sorry.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bauc

GoranF1 wrote:
17 Aug 2017, 02:10
ZakB wrote:
bauc wrote:
With this PU power deficit, SPA and Monza were never going to be good chance for points, well maybe SPA is a bit better than Mozna for Mclaren due to the high downforce middle sector but still our chances are on some other tracks + some luck.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

diffuser

bauc wrote:
17 Aug 2017, 08:46
GoranF1 wrote:
17 Aug 2017, 02:10
ZakB wrote:

With this PU power deficit, SPA and Monza were never going to be good chance for points, well maybe SPA is a bit better than Mozna for Mclaren due to the high downforce middle sector but still our chances are on some other tracks + some luck.
Think Monza will be good as well, the McHonda is really good under braking.

godlameroso

You do need good aero efficiency, I mean the two lesmos, Ascari, and parabolica are all high speed turns, being fast through there really helps considering those turns lead to critical straights. Taking those turns really fast can give you a big advantage onto those straights, but if you carry too much downforce you'll suffer at the end of the straights. However, if your car is very stable under braking going slower helps because it can decrease your braking distance. So the only place you'd really suffer is the main straight, and curva grande which lead to low speed turns where downforce doesn't matter as much as mechanical efficiency and stability under braking. If I were Honda I'd focus maximum deployment there, main straight and curva grande, de-rate to 25% deployment through sector two, and do 75% K deployment half way at the straight that ends sector 2 and all through sector 3.
Saishū kōnā

rscsr

godlameroso wrote:
17 Aug 2017, 18:13
You do need good aero efficiency, I mean the two lesmos, Ascari, and parabolica are all high speed turns, being fast through there really helps considering those turns lead to critical straights. Taking those turns really fast can give you a big advantage onto those straights, but if you carry too much downforce you'll suffer at the end of the straights. However, if your car is very stable under braking going slower helps because it can decrease your braking distance. So the only place you'd really suffer is the main straight, and curva grande which lead to low speed turns where downforce doesn't matter as much as mechanical efficiency and stability under braking. If I were Honda I'd focus maximum deployment there, main straight and curva grande, de-rate to 25% deployment through sector two, and do 75% K deployment half way at the straight that ends sector 2 and all through sector 3.
Your suggestion is quite simplistic.
For optimum laptime you have to optimize the boost strategy. So you boost a certain amount out of every corner (where you are not traction limited) and you optimize that strategy numerically on a laptime simulator before you are optimizing that strategy even further in the simulator before you arrive on track. Additionally you will have different boost strategies optimized when you need to pass someone and how much fuel you have. And that strategy will most likely change when the actual grip levels and estimates are collected during the weekend.