2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
marmer
marmer

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Could honda force McLaren to run a new power unit and take penalties if they have an upgrade. If not I could see McLaren saying no we don't want the upgrade after honda have rushed it to make a weekend that it won't run.
Although rate of failure currently might make this point mute as every couple of races they will need a new engine

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

marmer wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 17:53
Could honda force McLaren to run a new power unit and take penalties if they have an upgrade. If not I could see McLaren saying no we don't want the upgrade after honda have rushed it to make a weekend that it won't run.
Although rate of failure currently might make this point mute as every couple of races they will need a new engine

Honda can let the old engines blowup i guess.

kptaylor
kptaylor

Wonder whether McLaren has much say. If they need a new PU can they specify which spec or can Honda say we only have spec 4.0? Conversely McLaren could use their existing supply and blow up PU's with too many miles left and right just to "prove" the point that their decision to drop Honda in favor of Renault was "right". A lot of options, a lot of chances for both sides to be childish, but true racers would always want to win so they'd both want to use the best option available. Guess we'll see how it plays out!

aral
aral

A number of off-topic posts have been removed as these were about spanish and french cuisine. I couldnt see how these were of relevance to Mclaren-Honda team, so they were zapped. Maybe you should open a new thread about cookery techniques? :D

PhillipM
PhillipM

To be honest I think Mclaren would welcome trying the riskier upgrades as much as Honda at the minute - what do they have to lose?

etusch

At least one win or podium would be good before the end of partnership.

loner

Alonso's Honda F1 engine can be reused despite Singapore crash
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13202 ... pite-crash
para bellum.

GoranF1
GoranF1

etusch wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 20:29
How in the hell is that going to happen whit 80hp gap to Mercedes, 75 to Ferrari and 60 to Renault?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

marmer
marmer

GoranF1 wrote:
etusch wrote:
How in the hell is that going to happen whit 80hp gap to Mercedes, 75 to Ferrari and 60 to Renault?
Also unless weather non of the tracks coming help them out in this effort

techman
techman

hasegawa said honda were overtaking renault before the end of the season with spec 4. 60 to renault. give a break, you believe on media rumours, next season will hightligh the real problem of mclaren honda

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 20:45
etusch wrote:
In his defense, he said, it would be nice. He did not say it was possible! I will add, not sure what good it would do to the partnership. It's like giving oxygen to a corpse. If anything it would add fuel to the idea that the breakup was a bad idea. OMG, I don't want to relive that!

Andres125sx

techman wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 23:41

hasegawa said honda were overtaking renault before the end of the season with spec 4. 60 to renault. give a break, you believe on media rumours, next season will hightligh the real problem of mclaren honda
Well, in McLaren they think Hasegawa can´t be believed either :twisted:

Anycase, if they really match Renault, that will be only because Renault stop introducing upgrades because they´re working on a new 2018 PU, so even if Hasegawa statement become reality, it will only be for the final part of 2017 season, but next season... :?

I´ve always prefered McLaren staying with Honda, but they´re far from fools, if they renounced to Honda they must have some strong evidences Honda will not be as competitive as Renault next season

loner

Andres125sx wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 17:55

Anycase, if they really match Renault, that will be only because Renault stop introducing upgrades
what happened to its new concept for Honda guys give them a chance :mrgreen:
para bellum.

etusch

Andres125sx wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 17:55
techman wrote:
25 Sep 2017, 23:41

Well, in McLaren they think Hasegawa can´t be believed either :twisted:

Anycase, if they really match Renault, that will be only because Renault stop introducing upgrades because they´re working on a new 2018 PU, so even if Hasegawa statement become reality, it will only be for the final part of 2017 season, but next season... :?

I´ve always prefered McLaren staying with Honda, but they´re far from fools, if they renounced to Honda they must have some strong evidences Honda will not be as competitive as Renault next season
Renault was planning to catch or beat merc end of 2017 season but they couldn't. Honda and Renault said, they can be prevented by reliablity, they are taking big risks with new architecture. Of course Honda could end up Renault's way. But Renault stop to update and Honda keep updating. So they target to beat renault. Next season still Honda targeting to beat renault. Remember what they had said when they declare toro rosso partnership. Because their weakness you can't say they can not set targets. Being 3d is very realistic approach.

Singabule
Singabule

Outside 3 is a big task and almost impossible to reach for STR, but third best engine still realistic. So there is still no confirmation for engine updates?