2017 Force India F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

2017 Force India F1 Team - Mercedes

Team: Force India Racing F1 Team
Base: Silverstone, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Team principal: Vijay Mallya (CEO), Bob Fernley, Otmar Szafnauer (COO)
Technical director(s): Andrew Green

Race drivers:
11 Image Sergio Pérez
31 Image Estéban Ocon

Test drivers : Alfonso Celis Jr.

Chassis: VJM10

Engine: Mercedes V6 Turbo

2016 position: 4th (173 pts)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is to discuss the 2017 Force India Racing F1 TEAM
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

turbof1

Re: 2017 Force India F1 Team - Mercedes

Stickied
#AeroFrodo

vas_04614

Is Alfonso still their reserve driver?

I was hoping it would be mazepin

Mattchu

I really hope Force India can follow up last years brilliant season by being just as good in 2017. For me i would say they were budget/success up there with the best teams in 2016. They seem to have really good teams in all departments and i`m sure using the wind tunnel in Cologne really helped.
The strategy to know they needed to wait and produce a B spec car was spot on. Many a team would have just rushed the job then ended up with something that was pushing back all season. Force India took the pragmatic approach and it paid off handsomely...
The nose on the 2016 car (whether you like it or not) was a great example of the designers pushing the boundaries and creating new concepts. That`s part of what makes F1 so fascinating...

NAPI10

Next year will be a real challenge to their technical ability. It’s a huge strain on resources for small team like FI.
If they manage to keep 4th or even 5th position; that will be as good as winning championship.

turbof1

NAPI10 wrote:Next year will be a real challenge to their technical ability. It’s a huge strain on resources for small team like FI.
If they manage to keep 4th or even 5th position; that will be as good as winning championship.
Their chances lie at the start of the season. If they can get their package right, they can outscore at that point even topteams, of which 1 or 2 always are bound to mess up.
#AeroFrodo

Scuderia1967

I don't think Force India will be able to keep their (impressive) 4th place next year.
I'm pretty sure Renault will build a chassis to match their finally impressive V6, and Toro Rosso will, again, have a killer car... powered by that very same V6.

NAPI10

Somehow I feel, except TR they wont be challenge by any other team for 4th place.

Manoah2u

I expect otherwise, really. They'll benefit hugely from the funds they will recieve from their 4th WCC spot, and i think there's little doubt they 'saved' money from essentially having developed their 2015 VJM08B contender into something they could use through 2016 too. Meaning, they have had a lot of funds to spend on the 2017 contender, and additionally, development time.
I think they might have a very solid car for 2017, which might be a strong opponent @ the start of the season, but probably has been passed on certain areas by the end of the season regarding less development.

To be really honest, i'm looking in the crystal ball and seeing battle between RedBull, Mclaren and Mercedes [in that order], and then Force India, Ferrari and Renault [In that order] and then Toro Rosso, Haas, Williams [ in that order ] and finally Manor and Sauber.

Meaning title battle will revolve around Verstappen, Alonso, Hamilton. Behind that, Perez, Raikkonen and Hulkenberg. Then Sainz, Magnussen, Bottas.

DannyRic is going to get angry for Max getting the 'preffered treatment', Vandoorne is fast and strong but acts as a nr.2 yet accepts the role to come beasting in in 2018, Wehrlein being Lewis 'lap dog', Ocon is strong but makes a lot of rookie mistakes, Vettel falls out with Ferrari and gets replaced mid-season by Grosjean, Palmer just sucks, Kvyat gets dumped in favor of Ghasly after Russia, Grosjean leaves Haas midseason for Ferrari and is replaced by a Ferrari junior, and offcourse Stroll is just a mix of money and manoor, so the reason why Villeneuve will critisize F1 and Williams profoundly. Oh and midseason Kaltenborn finally gets ditched by Sauber, and Ericsson may leave too to get replaced by another driver. Manor beats Sauber thanks to Nasr.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Peter1919

I think the changes to the regulations for 2017 could be a real challenge for Force India as teams with smaller budgets usually struggle initially to adapt to regulation changes. I think there are reasons to expect McClaren, Torro Rosso, Williams and Renault all to improve significantly next season so IMHO 5th or 6th would be a good season for Force India

Manjhi

Manoah2u wrote:I expect otherwise, really. They'll benefit hugely from the funds they will recieve from their 4th WCC spot, and i think there's little doubt they 'saved' money from essentially having developed their 2015 VJM08B contender into something they could use through 2016 too. Meaning, they have had a lot of funds to spend on the 2017 contender, and additionally, development time.
I think they might have a very solid car for 2017, which might be a strong opponent @ the start of the season, but probably has been passed on certain areas by the end of the season regarding less development.
A good post, I expect the same scenario that happened in 2014 season. They might score good points may be 1 podium in Bahrain (Checo is very fast on that track) or any other circuit with long straight or strong braking requirement. But their performance is expected to decline once the resource rich teams starts developing their cars.

I expect fight between Force India, Torro Rosso & Williams in the mid grid with SFI leading, Renault is still behind in terms of chassis design but they might have engine advantage, they can exploit it to overtake Torro Rosso. Mclaren will still be struggling with their Honda engine, they might come into the fight after mid season break.

Plus , I always wanted this team to win one race. [-o< [-o<

skoop

So I read the article on Autosport stating that Pascal Wehrlein was ignored by Force India because of something that happened during 2015 testing. Has anyone more information on this?
Last edited by Steven on 19 Dec 2016, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typo

Manoah2u

I assume this article? http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127481
"I wanted to learn from the situation," he told Autosport.
"I didn't want to go there and be angry and talk to them in a bad mood. I know the reasons why and it's something easy to change.

"It had nothing to do with performance. The decision had nothing to do with feedback or performance, but had something to do with how they were getting along with me, something on a personal side."

"In the test something happened, something they were not happy, and that's it.
I heard before he is a hothead and a diva.

I did not know about that Force India incident.
If it's "personal", as he claims, it seems something must have happened that is not performance related,
something the article suggests too. It thus means that it must have been something between him and a Force India
employee - probably somebody with some 'power vested' in there.
It kind of reminds me of the spat between Alguersuari and Helmut Marko @ RB.

I'm not sure whether he's stating he didnt want to there and be " Angry, and talk to them in a bad mood."
over the signing of Ocon over him, or that it refers back to the 2015 incident and that it means during the incident
he got angry and talked to them in a bad mood. I assume the first though.

"Something" happened @ the test, and it seems it was something personal and they were not happy.

[....]
Last edited by Steven on 19 Dec 2016, 22:30, edited 2 times in total.

Paul

Maybe he ignored being told ten times to do something, like turn off the engine for example... :-k

Manoah2u

Lol, he didn't seem to make friends at Manor with that move either.

I find it interesting he states that it something 'easy' to change. I do find it odd that if it really was that 'easy', then it would not be such a breaking point.