Good books for architecture and civil construction/design?

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
PlatinumZealot

Good books for architecture and civil construction/design?

Yup... I'm a mechanical engineer but of late some of my coworkers have been asking me to draw building plans for them (they don't understand the difference between civil/mechanical engineer/architect), I did only one, but hey, I have been told it's worth a try to get into that sort of thing seriously...

Does any body know any good books on civil contrustion and desing, even architecture? Maybe a recommendation on soil mechanic books would be good too.

Thanks
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Pup
Pup

Re: Good books for architecture and civil construction/desig

n smikle wrote:I have been told it's worth a try to get into that sort of thing seriously...
The only "serious" way to get into that sort of thing is to get a degree in Architecture. It's a profession for a reason.

Having said that, if you want to learn basic architectural theory, for whatever reason, then probably the best book to start out with is Form, Space and Order by Francis Ching. He also has written a very good primer on basic architectural drafting standards, called Architectural Graphics. And of course you need at least a basic knowledge of building codes and structures if you want to draw anything remotely realistic.

Keep in mind that Architecture is first and foremost an art. Architects borrow from technical fields to do their job, but designing a building that's functional and safe is only step one, however important that step may be.

Don't even think about soil engineering.

PlatinumZealot

I'm blown away by your post. But I will hold back because I might get banned again.
Pup wrote:
n smikle wrote:I have been told it's worth a try to get into that sort of thing seriously...
The only "serious" way to get into that sort of thing is to get a degree in Architecture. It's a profession for a reason.

Having said that, if you want to learn basic architectural theory, for whatever reason, then probably the best book to start out with is Form, Space and Order by Francis Ching. He also has written a very good primer on basic architectural drafting standards, called Architectural Graphics. And of course you need at least a basic knowledge of building codes and structures if you want to draw anything remotely realistic.

Keep in mind that Architecture is first and foremost an art. Architects borrow from technical fields to do their job, but designing a building that's functional and safe is only step one, however important that step may be.

Don't even think about soil engineering.
This folks... I don't even know how to reply to this.

Pup
Pup

n smikle wrote:This folks... I don't even know how to reply to this.
Since I gave you the info you asked for, "thank you" would have been a good start.

PlatinumZealot

Yeah but it's like a homeless man begging for food and you give him the food, but you tell him "hey I could give you a knife and fork with that, but you don't know how to use a knife and fork; using a knife and fork is an art. You want Desert too?! Don't even think about desert! What the hell you want desert for?!"

The food without the knife fork and desert would have went down better without the patronizing comments, intentional or not.

Thanks for the food. Good food too...

Richard

I'm not sure which country you are in, but from a UK perspective and assuming you are dealing with domestic scale ...

Start off by working with someone who knows what they are doing! For example, my brother is having an extension built that has been "designed" by an interior designer who has then employed an architectural technician to do the real design, ie detailing and making sure it stands up!

The Building Regulations and NHBC standards have typical details that are deemed to comply with regulations, including estimating foundation, wall and joist sizes. Hopefully you'll have similar sources in your country.

However good design is much more than assembling standard details. You should subscribe to one or two good architecture journals. Try Detail Magazine www.detail.de (international) or Architectural Review (UK). They usually have articles on building design (ie mass and form) as well as articles on detailing.

The key thing is to consider the user comfort. How easily can they get from one space to another? Is there going to be noise transfer from a noisy room (TV) to a quiet room (baby's nursery)? Also consider energy use with attention to ventilation, draught proofing, insulation and condensation. (see http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/newforum/ ). Pay attention to light. Big windows are nice but overheat in summer and case heat loss in winter.

Read up about psychometric design. http://www.p2pays.org/ref/08/07692.pdf

Don't forget that local climates vary, so details that look nice on part of the world won't work in another. Places with high snow fall need deep eaves, while the wet and windy UK climate requires close attention to damp proofing.

Personally, I'd encourage deep reveals to avoid the flat look of modern cheap housing. I'd have a thick very well insulated wall with trombe insulation and controlled ventilation with heat recovery. If it was a timber frame, then I'd make sure I had some internal thermal mass to maintain comfort.

Pup
Pup

n smikle wrote:The food without the knife fork and desert would have went down better without the patronizing comments, intentional or not.
Then tell me what it is that you want.

This is what it sounds like you want. It sounds like you want to play architect. It sounds like you don't want to put in the time and effort to become one. It sounds like you think you're too special to have to start with the basics. If that's the case, then just expect to be patronized. I can't help you.

Or is it that you actually want to be an architect? If that's already your goal, then, well, get a degree and a license. That's not patronizing, that's life.

Or is it that you want to learn about the profession so that you can decide whether it's really for you? Or maybe you want to work for an architect. Or maybe you're just curious. All very noble motives. If so, then read the first Ching book I listed. And if you're thinking about being an architect, listen when I tell you that architecture is first and foremost an art. There is art to bricklaying and on a rare day even mechanical engineering, but you need to know that if you go to architecture school, you are going to art school. You'll take exactly two classes in basic structures, and apart from a few hours a day learning history, professional practice, etc., your ass is in studio. And the studio professors aren't talking about sizing beams or placing light switches conveniently. They're talking aesthetics and philosophy and psychology and critical theory, etc. It's not for everyone, just like engineering isn't for everyone. Most of what an architect learns in school is art, and most of what he learns of everything else comes after the degree, from years of apprenticing. I don't know what the requirements are where you live, but in the US, its 4 years of undergrad, three and a half graduate, and three years of internship. Then you take the test, 7 parts, 7 days.

Or, is it that you don't want to bother becoming an architect but want to design something that doesn't require a license? Fair enough, but at the very least you have to know a) what the building industry expects in terms of drawings, and b) what the law requires for whatever it is you're designing. Construction documents are a different animal than what engineers are typically used to. Contractors expect certain drawings, certain details, certain specifications, and they expect them to be presented in a certain way, in a certain order, etc. Throw them for a loop by drawing something at a non-standard scale, or put dimensions in a place they don't expect, and expect it to be built wrong. Draw something that's not a standard size, or that goes against common practice, and expect your builder to let your client know that they hired a moron. So read the second book I told you about.

And if you think there aren't a lot of building codes that apply to things that don't require a license to design, think again. If you draw a stair that doesn't work because it's too narrow, or the run is too long, or the risers are too high or the treads too shallow, etc. - and the builder isn't thorough enough to catch it until his framer is on site yelling that it doesn't work, then what do you think happens? Who pays to make the change? Who compensates the builder for time lost, or the owner for the delay? And what if you can't make it work with a reconfigured stair? Trust me, it happens.

And, if you do decide to design something that you think will be built, please remember that whatever you design, the rest of the world will have to look at it. Architecture isn't like taking up water color, where your less than stellar early work can be stuffed in the attic or tossed in the bin. There's a responsibility that comes with working in the public realm. If you wouldn't be comfortable forcing your neighbor to hang your latest painting over his mantle, then why on earth would you be comfortable forcing him to stare at your latest architectural creation day in day out? There's an awful lot of bad architecture out there, much of it by architects - but you don't want be part of the problem.

Look, no one is saying you can't do it. You might have a wonderful talent. You might not. What I'm saying that it's hard work, and that there's a lot to learn, and most importantly, that architecture is a different animal than what you're probably used to - it isn't a specialized field of engineering to which you will be able to apply much of what you've already learned. It's starting over, just as if you decided to become a lawyer or a doctor. Some of my favorite buildings were designed by people who were not architects. But they knew the profession and they knew good design. They cared. I encourage to explore, because you might well be one of them.

As for soil engineering. Architects don't do soil engineering. No one but geotechnical engineers do soil engineering. It's not something you dabble in. I wouldn't hire a structural engineer to do soils work any more than I'd hire a neurosurgeon to perform heart surgery. Even if he'd read a book.

Richard

Hi Pup

That's a good summary of the industry. You neglected to mention it's not a place to make money either. UK surveys (and my personal experience) indicate that typical architects earn slightly less than structural engineers, but mechanical engineers earn something like 20% more than a structural engineer.

I suspect smikle is thinking of house extensions rather than commercial buildings. At that scale you can get away with less precision because the builders tend to build things the way they've always built them. Of course getting away with something is failing to do a job properly and vague drawings lead to errors. One may get away with it a couple of times, but the cost of an error will wipe out all the fees earned on previous jobs (and more).

Your comment about staircases is common error. I once work on a building where the client opted to go for a design & build pre-cast multi storey car park. They discovered after it was built that headroom was around 1.8m. It was fun sorting that out for them!

Pup wrote:Construction documents are a different animal than what engineers are typically used to.
Careful, I think you'd find the majority of a building's materials and cost are constructed from Structural and MEP drawings/specs ;)

Pup
Pup

Well, I don't want to come across as being hard on Smikle. I really do encourage him to go for it, if that's what he wants to do. The thing is that architecture is one of those professions that a lot of people think in the back of their mind, 'I shoulda'. And it is a fun profession - I don't blame them. While it's not a way to get rich, except for a lucky few, it's rewarding. But because of that, there are a lot of people on the outskirts of the profession who probably shouldn't be there. Maybe every profession is like that - I don't know. And it's not that I'm snobby about it, but since I've gone out on my own and do a lot of little renovations and such, I've had to deal regularly with the results of these guys, and it always strikes me as borderline irresponsible. It's more common of a problem than I'd have ever thought.

As an example, I'm dealing with a little renovation right now on a house that's already been added to once. The guy who did the first addition for this couple happens to be a friend of mine. He used to be a builder, but had some health issues and needed to switch to an office job. This was maybe ten, twelve years ago. The architect I was working for at the time hired him as a draftsman and he was actually pretty good. He was there about five or six years before he decided that he could make more money drawing plans for builders on his own on the cheap. Then some of those builders gave his name out and so he started doing stuff for homeowners. Very typical story of a guy who sort of backs his way into the profession. And he's competent - he knows how a house gets built and he's got a fairly good eye.

But while he's competent at what he takes on, meaning that his plans are buildable and client's houses aren't going to fall over on them in the middle of the night, I wouldn't say that he's particularly good at it. Good draftsman, but not a good designer, and not just from an aesthetic standpoint. So, for this job, he did some things and told the client some things that just weren't right, and they ended up spending a few hundred thousand on this addition that at the end of the day doesn't work for them. People don't really understand drawings as well as you'd think and they don't think about a lot of stuff that a good architect will point out.

Anyway, I had a meeting with them last week and showed them several options and helped them sort out a master plan and a way to phase what they want so that they can afford it. They're happy, but there are limits to what I could do because I can't justify completely undoing $200k worth of work. And they'll probably spend about the same again while still having to deal with a bit of a compromise. It's not something I've pointed out to them - I don't want them to feel bad about their house or how they've spent their money, but they know.

OK, so middle of the meeting, he asks the question - 'How much would we have saved had we hired you to begin with?' I laugh it off, say something like, 'Well, we'd have saved something, but don't obsess over it.' But the truth is that they'd have saved somewhere in the range of $100k. That's not chump change for anyone, especially a middle class family with three kids.

So, was what my friend did for them irresponsible? I don't know the answer to that - like I say, it was competent, just not good. And I'm sure there's some architect out there who's twice as good as I am, who might shake his head at what I've done. But, at the very least, let's say the situation is unfortunate. A house addition isn't like buying a new pair of pants - you can't send it back if it ends up not fitting.

And all that is surely what put me in the mood to answer Smikle the way I did. :wink:
Last edited by Pup on 26 Sep 2011, 16:59, edited 2 times in total.

Pup
Pup

One thing I would recommend to Smikle would be this - whatever you do, regardless of size and even if it's for your best friend or family member, have a written agreement. Point out in the agreement that you're acting as the 'designer' and that it will be the contractor's responsibility to make sure it all meets code and stands up, etc. And then limit your liability to your fee. (I actually have all that language in every residential agreement that I do, and I don't sign any drawing that doesn't require it. Why should I let the builder out of his responsibilities?) But get it all in writing and out of the way up front, so there's never any chance of misunderstanding. There may be a 1 in a million chance that things go sour, but a few sentences and a signature can make all the difference if it does. Plus your clients will appreciate your professionalism. :wink:

Richard

Once again Pup , you've summed it up very well.

Most people don't understand a drawing. They don't even understand 3d models, both physical or virtual fly through. We find it only comes together when you populate it with people like sim city or second life. Especially with schools or other high occupancy spaces.

We've sometimes had to do that with architects who can't figure out why our occupancy modelling shows that they only need 6 escalators instead of the 8 on the architects drawing ... except they also need to be in different place... oh and the rooms are in the wrong places too!

I'd be wary of a lay person calling themselves a "designer". In the UK that would attract a lot of liability as the word is used in an explicit sense in standard contracts, and health & safety law.

If you want the contractor to take responsibility for detailing and dimensions then smilke needs to describe his work as scheme drawings. Add a note on every drawing that the contractor is responsible for sizing structural elements and detailing to meet building regulations. Having said that, most people expect their "designer" to get the design through building regs as part of the architects fee so asking the contractor to do so is paying for the same service twice. It's a tactic that only works with proprietary systems (lintels, timber frames, HVAC, etc).

Finally using a contract term limiting contractual damages to your fee is a partial help for contract disputes. However, UK law of tort in the event of injury or death overrides this.

Pup
Pup

Sounds like you need to work with better architects. :wink: Or maybe I sweat too much over things I should leave up to someone else. Fortunately with my current work I don't have to worry too much about that sort of thing. At my old job, my 'specialty' was designing multi-use buildings, and keeping straight all the code implications of a building with a parking garage in the basement; retail, office space, and even assembly space in the middle; and then residential units up top was quite a chore.

Interesting about the UK use of 'designer' - good info to know.

I once had a project where at some point during construction, a fire hydrant disappeared. The fire marshall wasn't happy.